Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Wheels won,t free wheel

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Scotie

Wheels won,t free wheel
Original Message   Jan 14, 2011 8:10 pm
I just put a new drive wheel on my 2003 ariens 8hp 24 " snowblower and now the wheels won't turn when the engine is off. when engine is running the wheels go fine in forward and reverse. This problem was not here before I changed the drive wheel. Any help would be great. I checked the free play off the drive wheel, and it is 1/8 " when the drive handle is not engaged.
Replies: 4 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Scotie

Re: Wheels won,t free wheel
Reply #4   Jan 15, 2011 10:54 am
I had the wheels off, the axle won't turn unless the engine is running and I engage the drive disc wheel. I also made sure of all the adjustments and the disc wheel has 1/8 gap when the lever is not applied. Even when I had the disc drive off, the axle to the wheels would not turn. I did not realize this was a problem when kI putt all back together. Thanks.
Shryp

Reply #5   Jan 15, 2011 12:39 pm
That doesn't sound normal.  Not really sure what else to suggest if you truely do have a gap between the disc and plate.  Is it possible that the spring came disconnected from the handle when you were playing with it and now the handle is not releasing completely?  Maybe there was a gap when you had the back tipped up, but now it is sagging and touching.  I would take a second look just to be sure.
This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by Shryp
trouts2

Reply #6   Jan 15, 2011 9:39 pm
Does it have differential?

What is the factory number off the back of the base?

To recap:

You are saying the machine drives fine in forward and reverse.

When you let up on the drive clutch and check the friction disk the friction disk does not touch the drive plate.

When you push the machine with the clutch not engaged and the engine not running you can't push the machine.

When you have the machine up on it's bucket, clutch not engaged, friction disk not touching the drive plate you can't turn the wheels.

Are all the above right?

When you turn the friction disk by hand what happens?  Do the gears or chain move?  Is the chain oiled?  Are the links free, not binding and loose inbetween the gears?

Can you wiggle the gears no matter how slightly?  Are they frozen solid or move at least 1/32 of an inch?

Something is wrong with the writeup.  You can run in forward and reverse and evidently you can stop and idle so the drive clutch and friction disk moving properly and backing off the drive plate when the clutch is disengaged.

I oculd see a roll pin being caught by something but the axle would turn almost a revolution.  Can you turin the wheels at all when the machine is up on it's bucket?  At all, even 1/8th of an inch?

Scotie

Reply #7   Jan 16, 2011 8:24 am
Touts2' I will have to recheck everything on Monday as I will be at the Patriots game today, yippee. Thanks for all the help
Shryp

Reply #8   Jan 16, 2011 2:10 pm
Looks like there are now 3 threads regarding these issues.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/55042-0-1.html

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/55043-0-1.html
Scotie

Reply #9   Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm
Scotie wrote:
Touts2' I will have to recheck everything on Monday as I will be at the Patriots game today, yippee. Thanks for all the help

Hi trout2' I pulled the gear off that drives the the chain that moves the wheels. Apparently I put the gear on backwards when it fell off. As a result, the chain was jammed up to the gear and would not move. My biggest problem was that I could not get a good look at all the parts. Everything is working great now, thanks for all the help.
trouts2

Reply #10   Jan 20, 2011 8:44 pm
   You got it.  Nice going.  

The belt and tractor area are small but I have lots of problems with enough light.  The garage got setup with 2 double floods on the sides, overhead and regular light.  There's a draw full of various flashlights, 3 forehead types, bendable snake lights and a host of bendable and snake mirrors.  Often working in there my hands are in the way and things fall off.   It's a pain if the drawings are not clear how thing go back together.

Replies: 4 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42