Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 932027 drive belt falls off

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bdooley

Ariens 932027 drive belt falls off
Original Message   Jan 14, 2011 9:09 pm
I have a 1995 Ariens 932027 (ST724) snow blower that is frequently having the drive belt fall off. I tried replacing the belt, but that has not helped. The idler pulley seems to keep adequate tension on the belt. I have noticed some play in the drive plate that I am guessing is the problem. It seems that the drive plate may wobble with the pressure of the friction wheel, causing the belt to fall off. It was extremely frustrating to have to reattach the belt about 10 times while clearing the more than one foot of snow from last Wednesday's nor'easter. Any ideas on what might be causing this problem and how to resolve it?
This message was modified Jan 14, 2011 by bdooley
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
bmwe0692

"Have a great and glorious day"

Re: Ariens 932027 drive belt falls off
Reply #1   Jan 14, 2011 11:52 pm
Does the drive plate wobble side to side when you try to move it by hand? Are the belt fingers on the motor

adjusted so there is about an 1/8" clearance between the belt and fingers? Is the belt correct for your blower?

Just a few ? off the top of my head Hope you find a cure for it!

T.J.

Put it where the Big iron wheel runs!!!
Shryp

Reply #2   Jan 15, 2011 4:38 am
I don't think I have ever seen a drive belt with fingers.  Those usually hold the auger belt on when the handle is released.  I would check for something loose or bent.  Is the spring still attached to the idler arm?  I suppose the bearings in the drive plate assembly could be worn pretty bad or maybe something just worked itself loose.  If you can't figure it out maybe try running it with the cover off and see if you or someone else can see anything.  Does it come off just driving it around or only when throwing snow?  You could try driving circles around the drive while someone else watches the belts.
bdooley

Reply #3   Jan 15, 2011 12:22 pm
I have been taking things apart this morning to get at the shaft for the friction drive. There is definitely movement between the shaft and the bushing. I think I will go take the shaft and bushing to the local Ariens dealer to see if they agree and have the replacement parts. I have the parts manual for accurate parts numbers. Thanks, Bill
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42