Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
rubinew

Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am
I moved to a new house, top of a hill, with farm land across from my driveway.

This is our second winter, and my MTD is not up to the task of clearing the packed snow that blows into my yard, sometimes daily.

I have been looking for a couple weeks, and had made up my mind to get the Honda. I had been to the Yamaha dealer previously, but they were not willing to deal.

Well today a new twist, I went back to Yamaha, and was offered the YS928J for the same price as the HS928TC.

Specs are very similar, with some different features. The Honda has full Joystick control on the chute, and is 100 lbs lighter.

The Yamaha has plastic coated chute, manual up/down. Has no shear pins, which may be a bonus, if the 'Shock Protection' works correctly. Also the Yamaha is quiter.

I have been reviewing this site, however, there is limited information on the Yamahas, likely because they just came back to Canada in 2009 (15 year Hiatus) and I am not sure if they are available in the U.S.

Has anyone out there used these models? Can you offer an Opinion?

This message was modified Dec 30, 2010 by rubinew
Replies: 99 - 104 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
billywhiskers

Re: Torn between Honda HS928TCD and Yamaha YS928J
Reply #99   Jan 13, 2011 5:40 pm
I had an MTD with an all plastic chute. Once the top part was clogging up with sticky snow so I gave it a bit of a cuff with the back of my mittened hand. The whole thing fell off the blower. It wasn't broken, just had to be re-installed. I always said that in one small way that blower was like a high performance race car....I'd use it once and then have to rebuild it for the next event. At a retail price of about $1100 + tax I couldn't expect too much of that old MTD. Now I've got an Ariens that ruined most of $2500 and it falls apart too. Not much plastic on it though, i will say that. 

Rubinew, congrats on the Yamaha, that is one wicked looking machine!! I'm envious.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by billywhiskers
rubinew

Reply #100   Jan 13, 2011 6:47 pm
billywhiskers wrote:
I had an MTD with an all plastic chute. Once the top part was clogging up with sticky snow so I gave it a bit of a cuff with the back of my mittened hand. The whole thing fell off the blower. It wasn't broken, just had to be re-installed. I always said that in one small way that blower was like a high performance race car....I'd use it once and then have to rebuild it for the next event. At a retail price of about $1100 + tax I couldn't expect too much of that old MTD. Now I've got an Ariens that ruined most of $2500 and it falls apart too. Not much plastic on it though, i will say that. 

Rubinew, congrats on the Yamaha, that is one wicked looking machine!! I'm envious.

Well I can tell you this, if I experience similar issues with this Yamaha, like you have had with your Ariens, I will SNAP!

This unit seems well made, like a tank, so I expect it to wear well.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #101   Jan 13, 2011 6:52 pm
aa335 wrote:
Then you should line it with metal.    Heck, most of the impeller housing plastic too.  I'm surprised David didn't make fun of that a while back. 

Speaking of which, the chute not David, I see it's pretty easy for you to change the direction of the chute on the Toro.   Do you feel any resistance when the snow is blowing through it?  On my 421Q, it's pretty hard to change the chute direction while blowing heavy snow.  I either have to slow down or stop to rotate the chute. 

Line it with metal he says  I'm real happy with my plastic chute sure it rattles a little bit but it never binds. I think my impeller housing is metal tho.

It's very easy to change the direction of the snow stream but you KNOW there is snow going through it. You can feel it as you move the chute, but it's not difficult. It definitely has a resistance and the more snow you are moving the more resistance it has. My wife has more trouble moving it than I do but sometimes she gets nervous about hitting things in the driveway or going too fast so that plays into it as well. As you can see in the video I don't have to slow down or stop. When I do it's because of the driveway. The EOD is on an angle and all of my driveway is uphill. The wind usually blows from one side and always in the winter but no breeze in the summer.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Shryp

Reply #102   Jan 14, 2011 11:48 am
aa335 wrote:
Then you should line it with metal.    Heck, most of the impeller housing plastic too.  I'm surprised David didn't make fun of that a while back. 

DavidNJ was too busy making fun of the reinforcing on the load bearing metal parts to notice the plastic parts.
aa335

Reply #103   Jan 15, 2011 12:39 am
Well, he was probably busy making this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5jnyu5Muc0&feature=related
Shryp

Reply #104   Jan 15, 2011 4:22 am
aa335 wrote:
Well, he was probably busy making this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5jnyu5Muc0&feature=related

Oh yea, forgot he made that video.
Replies: 99 - 104 of 104Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42