Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow blowing Hat

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
njal

Snow blowing Hat
Original Message   Jan 11, 2011 4:42 pm
Anyone have a special cap or hat that they wear while throwing snow?

I use this one Stormy Kromer. My gal said it looks like an Elmer Fudd hat.

I told her thats why I like it!! This puppy is warm.

Replies: 14 - 23 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
starwarrior

Re: Snow blowing Hat
Reply #14   Jan 13, 2011 7:16 am
OK Here you are, I really like this one.  It handles the blowsnow also.

Just don't accidentally wear it to the bank.

This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by starwarrior
trouts2

Reply #15   Jan 13, 2011 8:22 am
Bill_H:

That machine looks like an MTD and fairly recient because of the hood control wires.  I've never seen a track with that.  That probably has the trigger turning levers which are nice.  How well does it turn into snow?  For example given the snow height in the picture if you were to take a right would you need to do anything at the handles or will it just dig in?   What's nice about the MTD is the 6 and 2 range of speeds which are very nice for a good slow while still having fast top forward and very good reverese speeds.

The snow seems light but a lot and looking at where you have cleared that thing is going along fine hugging the ground without any lifting.

BTW: I'm in Oquossoc in the summer.  Pretty cold up there and oodles of snow.

njal

Reply #16   Jan 13, 2011 12:15 pm
Bill_H wrote:
I have one, not quite as nice as my Winny, but I like it a lot.  Be careful in NJ, I think my Henry is a felony to possess in that state (magazine too big).  And yes, they did move to Bayonne.

Bill everthing is a FELONY in N.J.. I don't even carry  pocket knife on me anymore.

I just hope they don't outlaw my honda.Anything is possible in N.J.

aa335

Reply #17   Jan 13, 2011 12:28 pm
njal wrote:
Bill everthing is a FELONY in N.J.. I don't even carry  pocket knife on me anymore.

I just hope they don't outlaw my honda.Anything is possible in N.J.

Is a felony to pump gas in your car?  
Bill_H

Reply #18   Jan 13, 2011 12:49 pm
Trouts,
It is, it's a 6 or 7 yr old Yard Man 10/28. The trigger steer is awesome, I would not own a tracked machine without it.  It will gradually turn and dig right in, but I could not do something like make a 90 degree turn into snow because then you're pushing the side of the bucket into the snow. We know that won't work with any machine unless it says CAT on the side    It's easy to do one-handed 180's where the machine goes around you while you stand still and wait for it.
I don't have a problem riding up unless I hit old frozen stuff (ice that only looks like snow) with new blown on top of it, but that usually means I've just gone off the edge of the driveway. Normally it will just spin the tracks if I do that, same if I go too close to the stone wall and run into it. Sometimes the wall gets buried and its location is only a guess.
There's a lever on the side to adjust bucket height and weight balance that is very useful. I can lean that thing forward and just scrape the ground.
6 speeds forward is almost overkill. I very rarely use first, most of the work is done in 2nd or 3rd. I never use 4th, and 5th is for going back up to the garage when I'm all done and the bucket is in transport mode - about 1 1/2 or 2" off the ground. I wouldn't mind a 3rd in reverse.  Transport mode is also excellent for clearing paths across the lawn, there have been times I've had to make a little doggie area or the propane man had to to get to the tank behind the garage.

If you had asked me this two days ago I would have mentioned it's for sale, but last night I lost a bolt on the plow so the tractor hydraulics couldn't raise it. I got stuck nose-in to a snowbank and the plow buried. Walked up to the garage and fired this thing up - first time in a year and it started right up! - and cleared out the plow. A big loud thunk when it found the bolt too  but no damage. That bolt is now out in the woods somewhere. So maybe I'll keep it as a backup.

Al - I was born in Newark, grew up in Middlesex county. It's not the same place it used to be. I got the hell out and avoid going back whenever possible.  Four out of five of my siblings also left the state, the fifth is planning to. The only thing I miss - besides not pumping gas - is real Italian food. Especially pizza.

AA - it might be!
This message was modified Jan 13, 2011 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #19   Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm
Lets not forget the gloves/mittens.   These are all I need!

Steve_Cebu

Reply #20   Jan 13, 2011 6:54 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:

That hat is what we call a Goober hat. Lots of hunters wear them, really warm but in high school they weren't popular or stylish hence the name Goober. High school was over for me more than 3 decades ago, so it's all good now.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
njal

Reply #21   Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:

I like the hat,is that leather? Where did you find that?

Looks very vintage ,like a ww2 skull cap  flight crews would wear.

I need one!

njal

Reply #22   Jan 13, 2011 8:38 pm
Bill_H wrote:
Trouts,
It is, it's a 6 or 7 yr old Yard Man 10/28. The trigger steer is awesome, I would not own a tracked machine without it.  It will gradually turn and dig right in, but I could not do something like make a 90 degree turn into snow because then you're pushing the side of the bucket into the snow. We know that won't work with any machine unless it says CAT on the side    It's easy to do one-handed 180's where the machine goes around you while you stand still and wait for it.
I don't have a problem riding up unless I hit old frozen stuff (ice that only looks like snow) with new blown on top of it, but that usually means I've just gone off the edge of the driveway. Normally it will just spin the tracks if I do that, same if I go too close to the stone wall and run into it. Sometimes the wall gets buried and its location is only a guess.
There's a lever on the side to adjust bucket height and weight balance that is very useful. I can lean that thing forward and just scrape the ground.
6 speeds forward is almost overkill. I very rarely use first, most of the work is done in 2nd or 3rd. I never use 4th, and 5th is for going back up to the garage when I'm all done and the bucket is in transport mode - about 1 1/2 or 2" off the ground. I wouldn't mind a 3rd in reverse.  Transport mode is also excellent for clearing paths across the lawn, there have been times I've had to make a little doggie area or the propane man had to to get to the tank behind the garage.

If you had asked me this two days ago I would have mentioned it's for sale, but last night I lost a bolt on the plow so the tractor hydraulics couldn't raise it. I got stuck nose-in to a snowbank and the plow buried. Walked up to the garage and fired this thing up - first time in a year and it started right up! - and cleared out the plow. A big loud thunk when it found the bolt too  but no damage. That bolt is now out in the woods somewhere. So maybe I'll keep it as a backup.

Al - I was born in Newark, grew up in Middlesex county. It's not the same place it used to be. I got the hell out and avoid going back whenever possible.  Four out of five of my siblings also left the state, the fifth is planning to. The only thing I miss - besides not pumping gas - is real Italian food. Especially pizza.

AA - it might be!

Bill Newark NJ       WOW  you would not want to live there now. I think there were over 40 muder/ homicides

there in 2010. However Newark was a beautiful place back in the day.They had the best of everthing.

I hope to get out of here one day.We are taxed to death here in Jersey.

The one thing we do have is a lot of good old style Italian food.

njal

Reply #23   Jan 13, 2011 8:40 pm
starwarrior wrote:
OK Here you are, I really like this one.  It handles the blowsnow also.

Just don't accidentally wear it to the bank.

Oh man that think might get you locked up lol!!!
Replies: 14 - 23 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42