Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens a BIG disappointment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billywhiskers

Ariens a BIG disappointment
Original Message   Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm
I'm kicking off my fourth season with my Ariens ST11528DLE snowblower. For years I put up with an inexpensive MTD which had something or other falling apart nearly every time I used it, all the while promising myself that next time I'd spend more money and get a quality machine. I heard an

awful lot of people saying that apart from the super expensive Hondas, the Ariens were the best. So when the time came I shelled out nearly $2500 for this 11.5 HP, 28" Ariens "Pro" model that I was sure would be like going from a Chevette to a Rolls Royce. I couldn't have been more wrong .

First off I will say that the thing does throw the snow a long ways compared to my old MTD. However in three full seasons and the first two storms of this season I've had the following problems with this expensive piece of crap: the metal engine cowling split apart from vibration and had to be replaced only a few weeks after I bought it. The replacement did the same thing so I got that one welded and reinforced. The headlight quit working and the wiring harness had to be replaced. Both of the engagament levers have split open at their pivot points and had to be welded. The tension spring on the wheel engagement cable broke. As if all of this isn't enough on a practically new machine, yesterday the electric starter wouldn't engage and I thought it must be frozen up. On closer inspection the starter has broken clear of the engine, and the ear with the bolt hole has broken off one side of the starter and the bolt is gone altogether. The starter body is just sort of hanging loosely by one bolt. Obviously this is off warranty by now and it looks like a costly repair.

Besides being extremely frustraing I find this sad. Ariens has had a very solid reputation and now it is clear that their priorirty has shifted from maintaining that reputation to cutting their production cost by using cheap materials and parts. For the unsuspecting buyer the feeling of pride of ownership is replaced by disappointment and hostility, and understandably so. If Ariens loses just one sale because of this product review my time in writing it will be made worthwhile.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by billywhiskers
Replies: 51 - 52 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
billywhiskers

Re: Ariens a BIG disappointment
Reply #51   Jan 12, 2011 1:56 pm
Quote:  "

Is that the picture with the rusted section and nut the cowling issue?  That’s the heater box.  That’s mounted with a screw on the top, one the shown nut and two small screws on the side.  With the two small screws in that thing should have almost no vibration so I can’t see how it would crack.  So may be it’s not the issue but I’m not sure.  Does it have it’s two screws in place?  With those there is no way the heater box should develop a crack. "

Well it did, when the machine was only a few weeks old the first time. And as I said previously, they replaced the part and the second one cracked in exactly the same place. All of the nuts and screws are in place. I called it the cowling, but I'm no expert on terminology...whatever, it broke. Since it was welded over three seasons ago it hasn't cracked again and that's because with the weld it is now thick enough around that bolt hole. If it had been heavier gauge metal it wouldn't have cracked in the first place.

I can't speak to whether or not there have been online reports of these types of problems from other Ariens owners but I would guess that locally there would be a lot of Ariens owners but very few who would be online discussing them. The dealer I bought it from has been in business for probably thirty years and he told me starter issue is common. And I'm not the only one to have the levers break either. And again, it's been a couple of years since the first one broke, but it's never broken again after being welded and that should tell you something. 

I honestly don't feel that my engine vibrates any more than any other similar engine. I've owned three and operated several others and there has always been vibration, it's no worse....but no better on this one. And I know that a lot of this relates to the Tecumseh engine rather than the blower it's mounted on, but that's what I mean when I talk about the disconnect between the two. To my way of thinking a blower manufacturer can't, or shouldn't put their brand on a machine and then when there's a problem cop out and say " well the problem is the engine and we don't make the engine so we aren't responsible". It's up to them to put a decent engine on there and then stand behind it. Or better yet, make their own. 

I should say that I contacted Ariens with a complaint through their website. There is supposed to be a 48 hour response time. After a week or more I got back a short response asking for a model and serial number and a statement that my case would be reviewed. That was awhile ago now and I've heard nothing.    

trouts2

Re: Ariens a BIG disappointment
Reply #52   Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

I’m on pretty good terms with the guys at Boston Lawnmower, the biggest stocking dealer for Ariens on the east coast.  I’ll put what they said at the applicable spot.

>>>With the two small screws in that thing should have almost no vibration so I can’t see how it would crack

That’s what I think.  Also if the machine is vibrating like crazy and the 4 screws are the right screws and inplace properly I don’t think any part of a heater box would split.   If the heater box were vibrating that much the carb mount could probably break before anything else.  But just say there could e movement enought to cause presssure at that front side screw.  Take it out an look what that's screwed into.  That would probably rip out long before any cracking of the metal.  Right you say but it happen.  It did and I certainly can't explain it or understand how.

I take off the heater box on every machine I get and never saw one with thin metal. 

Boston Lawnmowers (BL) response was they never saw one cracked like yours.  Never saw one “just damaged” without a story i.e. no broken as in defect.  They said they have never had a warrantee claim for a defective heater box.

>>>  The dealer I bought it from has been in business for probably thirty years and he told me starter issue is common

BL guy said he never saw a machine that was sold with a factory installed starter that fell off. Never had a warrantee claim for that.

>>>Broken handles

My take is they are not so strong but plenty strong for the job if things are in adjustment or even off by not so crazy amount.  I have over adjusted the auger lever to where the pull down would eventually break the cable or lever but that was for testing.  I could easily see fighting a blower and twisting the lever if someone were rough with their machine. 

The BL guy said the levers are not that strong.  He said they see broken levers mostly on machines with some age but never had a warrantee claim for them. 

>>>I should say that I contacted Ariens with a complaint through their website. There is supposed to be a 48 hour response time. After a week or more I got back a short response asking for a model and serial number and a statement that my case would be reviewed. That was awhile ago now and I've heard nothing.  

This one is inexcusable. 

Your heater box split at a weird place very early.  You had a second break in the same way.  You had early lever failure and a starter fall off.  All in all I’d go with bad Karma rather than try to balance what happened to you against the grillions of machines that don’t have those problems and fault Tecumseh and Ariens for what happened.  My own take is there is nothing to indicate vibration as the cause other than the starter falling off.   The starter was probably drilled, tapped and installed by a robot.

Replies: 51 - 52 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42