Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help understanding belt run-in

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gadgetdude

Help understanding belt run-in
Original Message   Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm
I just picked up my first ever 2-stage thrower - a simple Ariens Compact 24 (B&S).  The nearest place to get one was HD and the assembly went very well.  I'm having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what the belt run-in adjustment process is.  I see from the manual that I am suppose to run it for 15 minutes with the auger engaged, but I'm a bit unclear on exactly what I am then suppose to check and adjust.

Is there a good link that explains the process in a bit more detail than the manual?  Things like what it should look/feel like when properly adjusted, symptoms if not adjusted right etc.

Thanks!

P.S. - Spent a lot of time lurking here as I decided what to buy - great forum!
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
NotMoneyGuy

Re: Help understanding belt run-in
Reply #1   Jan 11, 2011 10:44 pm
I will let the experts speak, but here is some video of my maybe similar machine during the exact same head-scratching newbie phase...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXnq_5ZoCiU

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

bus708

Re: Help understanding belt run-in
Reply #2   Jan 12, 2011 12:10 am
I have to assume you assembled your blower your self, not  Home Depot. Belt run in is just a brake in period. Your auger belt should be adjusted so it will grab when you depress your handle, when you do so you will here a churp as it enguages. Your belt has a coating on it to help as it gets seated an it will ware off, your belt will also stretch. After you run your unit a wile, you need to make sure it is adjusted properly. If it is to loose it  will slip and burn up under load. The best way to adjust your belts is to listen to it.
With you unit running enguage your auger. You should here a short churp sound. pay attention how far you had to squeese your handle. You should  not have to squeese far When you release it you should NEVER here a churp/squeeling noise.That noise is your belt still grabbing . It will burn up. Adjust your belt so it will churp when you enguage it, and no churp when you release it. Your auger should never turn with handle released .Try not to use up all your adjustment. With time you belt will ware and stretch. That will allow you to re adjust it over time. It is always a good idea to have a extra set of belts just in case. You can tell your belts are slipping because your machine will not throw snow as far. You may even here it squeel wile throwing snow or even see it smoke.

Make sure you give your machine a good grease job. Wax it too. Dont forget to change your oil after your first 5 hours and at  least every 25 hours or once a year. Mobil 1 is great. Don't forget to run stabil in your gas. It will prevent carb problems. Never run your machine with ethonall gas it will destroy it. Good old regular gas. My Ariens is 16 years old , looks  and runs like new I changed my belts once. Never ever had a problem with it. Good luck with yours. Before I forget get at least 4 extra sheer pins. you may pick up a rock and sheer one.
This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by bus708
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42