Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824 Friction Disk/Alum. Drive Disk Replacement?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Derek

Ariens 824 Friction Disk/Alum. Drive Disk Replacement?
Original Message   Jan 9, 2011 7:20 pm
I've got an Ariens 824 that I bought new in 2002 which until recently has served me well.  Late last season, it seemed that the drive was "slipping" in that you could hold down the drive lever, but you'd have to give it a push to get it moving.  Also, it would not pull through deeper snow - it would just sit there.   Additionally, it didn't seem to throw the snow as far as it used to.

I pulled the bottom pan and found that the rubber friction disc was totally gone.  The aluminum drive disc to which the friction disc engages is scored up pretty badly fom the metal-to-metal contact with the wiped out friction disc.

It seems that the rubber friction disc is pretty easy to replaced based on the instructions in the manual.  To do this right, I will need to replace the aluminum drive disc as well.  I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to do this, and in looking at it on the machine I can't see how that disc can be removed.  In operating the handle that engages the drive, I can see that the disc moves toward the rubber friction disc - the hexagonal shaft with the aluminum disc slides out from the belt-driven pulleys.

The question - how is the aluminum drive disc removed so it can be replaced?  What holds it?  What other components need to be removed to facilitate the removal? 

I searched for a service manual for the 824, and came up with this - although it says its for the 9-series.  You can see the drive disc diagram in  Fig 6-2

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/000123A.pdf

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have proper tools, so with a little guidance I think I can get this done.  I think with new discs and new belts the machine will be performing as it did when it was new. 

Not to muddy the waters, but in researching this I discovered that there were "update kits" offered for this machine to correct drive ratios , improve torque and increase service life (better compound on the friction disc).   I was never informed of this from Ariens or the dealer that bought this from, despite the dealer saying that letters were sent to everyone with an 824 who was affected.  No chance that they will replace under "warranty" at this point.  While the upgrade may be an improvement, I don't want to spend a lot of money to install the update, being as the machine has done well for me until now and winter is here in the northeast and I need to get the unit up and running quickly.  I believe my failure to check/replace the friction disc is what put me in this situation, not necessarily a poor drive design.

Any help appreciated .

Thanks

Derek

Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42