Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 524 - Replacing friction wheel

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hp550c

Toro 524 - Replacing friction wheel
Original Message   Jan 8, 2011 9:19 pm
Hi, Does anyone have a PDF that explains how to replace the friction disc/wheel in a Toro 524 (Model 38040) snowblower? My snowblower goes in 1st, but the friction wheel slips on the drive pulley in 2nd and doesn't touch it in 3rd. My symptoms are identical to this OP's post: http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/32079-0-1.html Thanks!
This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by hp550c
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
hp550c

Re: Toro 524 - Replacing friction wheel
Reply #4   Jan 9, 2011 10:28 am
Thanks for the info Knee_Biter. I guess I'm also wondering why does the friction wheel make good contact with the friction plate (pulley) in 1st, a little bit in 2nd, but none at all in 3rd? I can't see how that adjustment is made. The long rod simply adjusts how far down/up the friction disc touches the friction plate, but I don't see how it differentiates between 1st/2nd/3rd distance. Does the short rod also make minor adjustments depending on the gear it's in (I know it controls how far in/out the friction disc is on the plate, so maybe it makes minor tweaks to the friction disc as well?).
Shryp

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2011 10:41 am
Your variation in gears is most likely either worn out bearings or a worn friction plate.  The plate might be worn down a bit where it is used most.  Also there might be more rubber build up on it.  Worn out bearings can make the shafts loose and affect clearance.  Something could just be bent.  It is hard to know for sure without taking it apart.  My old Ariens is only supported on 1 side.  Great for replacement as the other end of the shaft is open for easy access.  Not so good in theory since 1 end has the bearings and the other end just floats.  Though, if a 1977 machine still works, I guess it can't be too bad of a design.

Another possibility is the gears that "don't make contact" might just have more grease and oil on them making it slip and seem to not work.

One other thing I noticed:  I believe my Toro 3521 moves rubber to the metal plate whereas the Ariens moves the metal plate to the rubber.
This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by Shryp
hp550c

Reply #6   Jan 12, 2011 8:06 am
Thanks Shryp, I'm hoping it's just the friction wheel itself and not the plate. How difficult is it to replace the friction wheel? I've seen some videos of other snowblower friction wheels being replaced, but they appear to be better designed in terms of being easy to replace. The Toro 524 seems to be in an assembly of some type, and getting it out seems to be a project -- but hopefully I'm wrong :) Do you/someone have a PDF that describes the process? Thanks!
Shryp

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2011 11:56 am
No.  I believe I pulled the axle out of my 3521 when I changed the engine.  That was last year and I don't really remember.  You are going to have to just dive right in.
Replies: 4 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42