Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > craftsman snowblower light

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
tombraider

craftsman snowblower light
Original Message   Jan 8, 2007 7:57 am
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.
Replies: 24 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JasonnB

Re: craftsman snowblower light
Reply #24   Dec 31, 2010 11:27 am
Snowmann wrote:
The Tecumseh 18W AC is unregulated. Voltage will depend on current draw. ~18W will get you to 12V which is what you need. 20W is close enough. 27W will brown out... Flood lens with wide pattern is preferable.

Tecumseh alternator... The missing piece of information I want to know is how much current (amps) the thing
can put out???? I want to convert this AC alternator to DC with a 25A bridge to power a DC motor that will make the chute move electricly...
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #25   Dec 31, 2010 11:48 am
tombraider wrote:
I have a 1992 8/24 snowblower passed on to me this year.It works excellent;although we`ve only had minimal snow this year.Can anyone tell me how to hookup a light to this machine. I`ve been examining them on new one a stores, but i don`t know where the connections are made ,or if i need any special parts,or even it can be done.Any,all help is welcome thanx.Reid.

Make sure the engine has a stator to generate electricity.  If a Sears snowblower didn't have a light on it already, it may not.  Try to research the engine model they have to have made a few million of them.  The lights that can be used don't draw much electricity.  My new Honda accessory light is a 50 Watt Sealed Beam Halogen go to www.pmlights.com and look at the 507 F (F =Flood Pattern)  It has a rubber case designed to both absorb vibration which can ruin bulb filaments, and it also keeps the light weatherproof.  If you want the lower power draw requirements of an LED lamp, the model to choose is the 907 (look under new Products)  To actually buy the lamps go to www.foxtailights.com.  The 507 costs about 30 bucks, the 907 (LED) $72.00 plus freight to you.  To connect just ground the lights base to metal on the machine (the internal light wire connects to the steel mounting base of the 507 or 907), the other wire just connects to the stator connection point on the motor.  I had a Sears MTD model of similar vintage and installed a toggle switch between the light and the engine, otherwise the light is on whenever the engine is running.  good Luck !
JasonnB

Reply #26   Jan 4, 2011 9:35 pm
JasonnB wrote:
I just picked it up. It's a Craftsman 536.887990, made 11/2002, with a Tecumseh engine.  I just went out and started it up, and tested that yellow wire with bullet connector with my Volt meter, and put it to AC volts. It read about 5 volts, but it was idling. I then put it to full throttle and it jumped to about 15 volts, hehe. So, it looks like that's the wire to use :)

How do I find he specs on the Tecumseh alternator I have in my craftsman 536.887990, made 11/2002, with a Tecumseh engine??? I want to know how many amps it puts out, etc...

This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by JasonnB
cutter7

Reply #27   Jan 14, 2011 11:58 am
JasonnB wrote:

Jason,
I believe you need to locate the Tecumseh engine model to get the answer you need (not the snowblower model, since the Tecumseh engines are mounted on a variety of different makes of snowblowers).  The engine model info is on a sticker or plate directly on the engine. Once you get that, you can search for any particular info you need.  The following are some sites I found useful:

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Tecumseh/Tecumsehpartslists.html

http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

http://www.tecumsehpower.com/CustomerService/BSI.pdf

Hope that helps a bit.
Replies: 24 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42