Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Simplicity 560 "dilemma"

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Simplicity 560 "dilemma"
Original Message   Dec 30, 2010 9:39 pm
OLJEEPTEK2 wrote: Hi all, You guys sure know your stuff on these units. My dilemma is that I stripped the drive gear on my old Simplicity 560. I bought it new in 86 and it has served me well. The augers rusted to the shaft, unbeknownst to me until I hit a hidden stick and that was it. Where the heck can I find used or reasonable new parts for this old dog?

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Simplicity 560 "dilemma"
Reply #1   Dec 30, 2010 10:53 pm
Get the factory number of your machine off the back of the base.  I think it's an 824,  1690775.

Goto the Simplicity site, manual page and put in that number.  It will give you operators and parts manuals.  Google the part number to see what's available.  Parts are around for those old timers but some not.  A parts machines goes for 50-100 around here, eastern MA.  One in working shape $250 to $550.

trouts2

http://www.kedawei.com/snowblower.com

trouts2

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2010 6:47 am
Looks like those parts are available. 

The 9 tooth sprocket is $11 and the 23 tooth gear $23, cheap enough.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=simplicity&mn=71691117+

-+828%2C+8HP+28%22+Snowthrower&dn=18274

Check your serial number matches also but given the parts it should not matter.

Shryp

Reply #3   Dec 31, 2010 10:58 am
Seeing as he mentions augers rusted to the shaft and hitting a stick, I think by drive gear he means the auger gear case.  Also his original post was in the auger gear case comparison thread.
oljeeptek

Reply #4   Nov 29, 2011 7:55 pm
Hi all! Just to update the old post in case the info can be useful to anyone else; I am just now getting around to working on this old dog. I ended up having to use a high speed whiz wheel to slit the augers and relieve the rust-weld locking the augers onto the shaft. What a bugger. It was so tight heat and a very large puller wouldn't touch it.

It is a model 560 and the number on the rear is indeed 1690775. I did find a stripped bronze driven gear (worm wheel) that partstree.com and a few other sources still carry, although it's a little spendy at $100. (part number is 1666509), the cup and thrust washer at the end of the worm shaft are shot. (parts 1666424, $15; and 1670971, $2 respectively) The shaft has a little damage but I'm going to clean it up with a fine file and save the extra $85 being as it's steel and the shafts will now be polished and well greased within the auger case.

Ebay has the low temp gearcase grease for about $10.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't realize this got bumped here. I'll have about $150 into this when its said and done. But given the price of working machines around here of $500+ I can't see scrapping it and buying another one.
I could put up some pictures if anyone would find them useful.
Thanks again!
oljeeptek

Reply #5   Dec 1, 2011 9:32 pm
Holy stinkin' Hannah!

I ordered all my Simplicity parts yesterday online from Small Engine Parts Warehouse (sepw.com) and they were on my front stoop this afternoon! I wasn't expecting them till sometime late last week. They had everything in stock (obviously) and their prices were great. Now I just have to put everything back in and weld up my cuts.

Its a no brainer I'll be using them for all my parts needs. These guys rock!
trouts2

Reply #6   Dec 3, 2011 10:30 am
   Nice save.  That's probably the most substantially built 5hp machine ever made.
This message was modified Dec 3, 2011 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42