Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil waxing on dipstick

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Oil waxing on dipstick
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 6:09 pm
Richie stated in another thread that he noticed a white waxy substance on his engines dipstick. Same material observed on mine . This is always present regardless of engine manufacture and the oil used . Only seen on snow throwers so I am pretty sure it is temperature relatsd. What is it and does it cause any trouble?

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Oil waxing on dipstick
Reply #5   Jan 28, 2005 7:20 pm
Is it almost foamy lokking?
TheKneebiter

Reply #6   Jan 28, 2005 7:29 pm
the moisture try's to escape up the dipstick tube. almost like steam and causes this. it is not enough to cause a problem. if you were to let your snowblower run for 4 hours in the snow everyday you most likely would not see this. when it is cold out and the engine gets hot this happens. we only use the snowblower enough to create it and then they sit again untill the next time. we dont use them long enough to burn it away. if you have a car that you only use for short trips in the winter say under 5 miles to work and back you will see this under the oil cap. i have it on my car and my wife has it. now if you drive some distance to work then you will not have it because you get hort enough to burn it away.  the first time a noticed this was on my wifes new car which came from the factory with mobil 1 and has no dipstick just a fill cap, im sure some of you know what brand car this is, i found it under the cap and called service right away. it was explained to me by a tech. i then looked under my cap again a newer car only driven 3 miles to work and back, same thing. my buddy who has the same car as me and drives 25 miles to work does not have it. nothing to worry about.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by TheKneebiter

Termy

Reply #7   Jan 28, 2005 7:31 pm
Please smell the oil on the dipstick. If you smell gas, then you have gas in your oil. If this is the case, you need to drain it immidiatly and fill up your crankcase with new oil!

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #8   Jan 28, 2005 7:33 pm
Marc,

When I did the first oil change I didn't notice any of the goo coming out of the drain tube, so you may be right.  If it isn't in the sump then my next thing to do is look at the O-ring seal on the dip stick.  I do tighten it down sufficiently, but maybe that thin O-ring seal isn't doing its job.  I may have to find something to help it seal.  I wonder if a very thin amount of vaseline rubbed on it will make a difference.  I'll have to find out if petroleum products will deteriorate it over time.

Richie
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Jan 28, 2005 8:01 pm
Richie I really don't know if you can keep that stuff rom forming in cold weather. I just would like to know what it is!

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
TheKneebiter

Reply #10   Jan 28, 2005 11:30 pm
Moisture,condensation mixed with oil. GET IT ?????mml4 wrote:
Richie I really don't know if you can keep that stuff rom forming in cold weather. I just would like to know what it is!

Marc

Blue9R

Reply #11   Jan 29, 2005 10:50 am
Hi mml4,

Sometimes this accumulation on a dipstick is referred to as "mayonnaise" & is actually a form of sludge.  At times it can drag the dye out of some motor oils & actually take on an orange or red tint.

While it looks nasty, it is just the unavoidable crankcase moisture coming out of or combining with the oil at the surface & condensing on the dipstick or fill tube cap.

Usually, in a vehicle, this condition is an indication of short trips where the crankcase oil is not heated up to full operating temperature of 180-200 degrees F & hotter to drive out the moisture.

Blue

This message was modified Jan 29, 2005 by Blue9R
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #12   Jan 29, 2005 11:21 am
Hi Blue-

Assume you are Blue99 from the other forum!! Still refer to your treatise on synthetics from time to time!

Marc

Blue9R

Reply #13   Jan 29, 2005 11:38 am
Yep, Marc, it's nice to see all the old gang from WTB here on the new Abby's forum.

It's come a long way in just a couple of short months & has achieved most of the features of a full fledged forum!

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #14   Jan 29, 2005 12:41 pm
Blue9R wrote:
Hi mml4,

Sometimes this accumulation on a dipstick is referred to as "mayonnaise" & is actually a form of sludge.  At times it can drag the dye out of some motor oils & actually take on an orange or red tint.

Hi Blue,

That is exactly how I'd decribe it and exactly what it looks like

Richie
Replies: 5 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42