Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST824 - 924082 - Nothing Turning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
james_o

Ariens ST824 - 924082 - Nothing Turning
Original Message   Dec 28, 2010 12:03 pm
All,
Thanks in advance for your time and any help.

Was out in more than 24" of snow yesterday.  Broke a shear pin, no problem, had most of the job done, thank God, when something got sucked up by the auger.  After that, the auger, shaft, and impeller will not turn.

Never fails.  Before the storm I always clear the sidewalk of junk and potential hazards.  Just too much wind the other day though.

She still runs and drives - forward and reverse is fine. 

Checked the shear pins, removed them, and re-installed, and they were fine.  Still, there is no way to spin the auger or the impeller.

I popped off the cover for the belts - one seems fine but the, larger, with the tensioner, seems loose.  It is still on and around the pulley, however, when the handle is engaged, it is still a bit loose for my liking.

Has anyone a suspicion or place to start?  I would really hate to take it down before determining just belts?

Has anyone a procedure for troubleshooting?

FWIW - it's a Tecumseh.
Replies: 16 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
james_o

Re: Ariens ST824 - 924082 - Nothing Turning
Reply #16   Dec 28, 2010 3:33 pm
No Luck, nothing behind the impeller.

Could there be something jammed in the gear case? Causing the impeller, worm, and auger shaft to all not turn?

What would be your next move?
Shryp

Re: Ariens ST824 - 924082 - Nothing Turning
Reply #17   Dec 28, 2010 3:36 pm
james_o wrote:
No Luck, nothing behind the impeller.

Could there be something jammed in the gear case? Causing the impeller, worm, and auger shaft to all not turn?

What would be your next move?

I have read a couple reports of roll pins falling out or breaking inside the gear gase.  If it fell out I could see it jamming, but if something else was stuck I would think you would have some wiggle in it.

At this point I guess you have to start taking everything apart and checking everything until something fails to turn.

To check the gearbox you have to get the pulley off the impeller and remove the whole assembly from the housing.

One other thing to check would be the bearing behind the impeller.

----

You might be able to remove the oil fill plug and look inside with a flashlight.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by Shryp
Replies: 16 - 17 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42