Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which fuel stabilizer??

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Which fuel stabilizer??
Original Message   Dec 26, 2010 3:17 pm
Being that im too lazy to do a search, figured I would just ask? Which stabilizer do you like best? Im sick and tired of ripping apart the carb next winter, so I figure I will be proactive and add somthing now. Any thoughts?

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
stresst

Re: Which fuel stabilizer??
Reply #2   Dec 26, 2010 4:06 pm
njal wrote:
I'm a big fan of  PRI-G

Where can I find it? Ever use Star-Tron? (clear-blue stuff)

TORO 826OXE
njal

Reply #3   Dec 26, 2010 4:54 pm
stresst

You can google  PRI-G and see if someone in your location has it.

I did the mail order thing because know one had it by me.

I had a bad experience with star-tron It fouled a crab bad on my boat.

But the fuel tank is 25 years old so that may have had something to do with it.

I think it loosened up all the crud in my tank..However if you snow blower is new

you should be fine with startron. Pri -g works a differently then star tron

stresst

Reply #4   Dec 26, 2010 5:23 pm
njal wrote:
stresst

You can google  PRI-G and see if someone in your location has it.

I did the mail order thing because know one had it by me.

I had a bad experience with star-tron It fouled a crab bad on my boat.

But the fuel tank is 25 years old so that may have had something to do with it.

I think it loosened up all the crud in my tank..However if you snow blower is new

you should be fine with startron. Pri -g works a differently then star tron

What do you mean by works differently?

TORO 826OXE
snowmachine

Reply #5   Dec 26, 2010 6:15 pm
I just use Stabil during the season but always drain all gas out at the end of the season. I run it dry, turn the fuel valve off and then remove and empty the carb bowl as well.
njal

Reply #6   Dec 26, 2010 6:23 pm
pri just keeps your fuel fresh.
startron keeps it fresh and also emulsifies the algae in your tank.

In my case 145 gall. of fuel ,25 years old tank  to much algae and other crud
for the startron to work properly..My results pluged up carb.
bus708

Reply #7   Dec 26, 2010 9:35 pm
I'v always used Stabil in all my engines. I never had any hint of problems. Your problems come from not using any type of stabilizer. Stabil is cheap and it works for me. One other thing Keep your tanks fill of gas wile storing and do not drain your carb boll.  You will avoid carb problems.
  Think about it if you run your engine until it is out of gas you still have a splash left in your tank and your carb. You then but it in your shed . Your shed may get up to 140 degrees in the summer cooking any splash of gas left in the tank. Your tank can then collect moisture, creating mold  during the rainy season. Your tank is then contaminated. When you refill it,  your shut off valve may be stuck closed. Then you have crap going in your carb from your tank.Your float in your carb may become stuck
   Get the picture.  Keep your tank full with some Stabil added or other good fuel stabilizer of your chioce. Shut your machine off normaly and close you fuel valve if you have one. I'v done this for all my machines. weed wacker too. My ariens with a Techumseh engine never gave me any trouble for over 15 years.

Also read the posts        ( My snow blower wont start) 

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by bus708
snowmachine

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2010 9:40 pm
I never have any problems either but where else would there be gas in my system if tank is run dry, carb bowl is emptied out and it won't fire anymore on ignition attempts?

bus708 wrote:
I'v
always used Stabil in all my engines. I never had any hint of problems. Your problems come from not using any type of stabilizer. Stabil is cheap and it works for me. One other thing Keep your tanks fill of gas wile storing and do not drain your carb boll.  You will avoid carb problems.
  Think about it if you run your engine until it is out of gas you still have a splash left in your tank and your carb. You then but it in your shed . Your shed may get up to 140 degrees in the summer cooking any splash of gas left in the tank. Your tank can then collect moisture, creating mold  during the rainy season. Your tank is then contaminated. When you refill it,  your shut off valve may be stuck closed. Then you have crap going in your carb from your tank.Your float in your carb may become stuck
   Get the picture.  Keep your tank full with some Stabil added or other good fuel stabilizer of your chioce. Shut your machine off normaly and close you fuel valve if you have one. I'v done this for all my machines. weed wacker too. My ariens with a Techumseh engine never gave me any trouble for over 15 years
chefwong

Reply #9   Dec 26, 2010 9:53 pm
Just use small amounts....and use the fuel as your needs require.  But them in 1/2 - 3/4 gallon at a time. IF you think you may be keeping it longer than it should....ethanol fuel sucks these days,I prefer seafoam as a fuel stabilizer over stabil.
njal

Reply #10   Dec 26, 2010 10:21 pm
bus708 wrote:
I'v always used Stabil in all my engines. I never had any hint of problems. Your problems come from not using any type of stabilizer. Stabil is cheap and it works for me. One other thing Keep your tanks fill of gas wile storing and do not drain your carb boll.  You will avoid carb problems.
   Get the picture.  Keep your tank full with some Stabil added or other good fuel stabilizer of your chioce. Shut your machine off normaly and close you fuel valve if you have one. I'v done this for all my machines. weed wacker too. My ariens with a Techumseh engine never gave me any trouble for over 15 years.

Also read the posts        ( My snow blower wont start) 

that debate has been going on for years full or empty.

I keep my pri in my tank,but for me at the end of the season
I fog motor ,empty tank BONE DRY.Carb as well bone dry.
This works the best for me on small motors.
Now on say 150 gallon fuel tank I cant empty it so it's stays full.
 with plenty of fuel stabilizer ,I use PRI but to each his own.
there are a lot of good ones out there.I also fog the hell out of my motors..

njal

Reply #11   Dec 26, 2010 10:33 pm
stresst wrote:
Being that im too lazy to do a search, figured I would just ask? Which stabilizer do you like best? Im sick and tired of ripping apart the carb next winter, so I figure I will be proactive and add somthing now. Any thoughts?

stresst
I saw your other post,your machine is brand new correct??

If it were me. End of season tank bone dry carb bone dry. fog motor with foging oil.

you will be race ready for next season.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42