Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > TORO 8260XE vs. 8280XE vs. 1028OXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

TORO 8260XE vs. 8280XE vs. 1028OXE
Original Message   Dec 16, 2010 9:25 pm
So I decided im going with a Toro but not sure what model to go with. I like the 8260XE but then I seen the 828, are there any notable differances except the width? And then how about the 828 vs the 1028 just the motor??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
woweh

Re: TORO 8260XE vs. 8280XE vs. 1028OXE
Reply #4   Dec 17, 2010 11:23 pm
stresst wrote:
So I decided im going with a Toro but not sure what model to go with. I like the 8260XE but then I seen the 828, are there any notable differances except the width? And then how about the 828 vs the 1028 just the motor??

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Hi,

I have the 826OXE and couldn't be happier! It is easy to work, has plenty of power for EOD, the chute material is unbreakable IMO, I have cleared the EOD for 5 Years now with ice chunks I hear hitting the chute, LOUD but no damage to unit at all PLUS very little slush sticking to it, it never sticks unless it is watery snow ((very rare and only seen it once)). And the design while running will almost never leave an overrun when blowing because it recirculates the snow(depends on how deep the snow is and your cut width)...TORO has this system down packed, this is my 2nd because I wanted the OHV engine and head light, the 826 Lhead was my first TORO. I think you will be happy if you decide on this unit, I failed to mention the Quick shift which will knock out a fly in the air if you aim it and there were flies in the dead of winter lolll. Again this is my opinion on this machine and I haven't and a problem so far mechanically and in daily use reliability (literally..live in Canada, Ontario). All the best to your decision!! my 2 Cents..
Steve_Cebu

Reply #5   Dec 17, 2010 11:52 pm
stresst wrote:
Thank you all for the replys. I live in New York City and the snowfalls greatly vary. I have a small property including about 16' X 50' sidewalk, narrow single car drive way (house's both sides) then it fans out to about enough room for 4 cars. The other other EOD gets bombarded by NYC sanitation plowing onto my side. To be honest, unless its a particulary soft snow, it has to be shoveled by hand. Or maybe not using the rie blower. In all reality I probably dont need anything over 20" wide so im leaning toward the 826OXE especialy if the 828 doesnt have any other features.

But the Ariens Platinum 24" is still stuck in my head..........Please help me decide.

Honestly no one can decide this for you. Drive the units and buy the one you like. You can't go wrong with Toro. Toro makes a great machine and it does everything well. I've driven mine into frozen snow berms created by plows more than a month earlier and it chewed them out with no drama. Your EOD will get spat out with a vengeance, so no more shoveling anything with a Toro.

Whatever you decide on be certain you are happy with it and post pics with whatever you end up with.

Steve

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #6   Dec 18, 2010 6:22 am
stresst wrote:
Thank you all for the replys. I live in New York City and the snowfalls greatly vary. I have a small property including about 16' X 50' sidewalk, narrow single car drive way (house's both sides) then it fans out to about enough room for 4 cars. The other other EOD gets bombarded by NYC sanitation plowing onto my side. To be honest, unless its a particulary soft snow, it has to be shoveled by hand. Or maybe not using the rie blower. In all reality I probably dont need anything over 20" wide so im leaning toward the 826OXE especialy if the 828 doesnt have any other features.

But the Ariens Platinum 24" is still stuck in my head..........Please help me decide.

Either the Toro 826OXE or the Ariens Platinum 24 would be my choice. You should go and fool around with each one to get a feel for the ergonomics of the controls and test the features of each one. You want to be comfortable using it and you definitely don't want to get a case of buyers remorse after using it a few times. Do your homework now and you'll be happy later.
This message was modified Dec 18, 2010 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
joed

Reply #7   Dec 18, 2010 2:40 pm
stresst wrote:

I would definitely recommend that you go with the Toro 826.  I had the same decision to make as you in the last few weeks.  The Ariens Platinum Deluxe 24" is a nice machine but it's not as well balanced nor as easy to steer as the Toro.  The freewheel steering system alone was the decisive factor for me.  By pulling up on the triggers under the handlebar, the machine turns effortlessly.  Incredible invention.  The toro is also much more balanced and the joystick control is quick and fast.  The best thing to do is try both units out and see which one feels more comfortable for you. 
aa335

Reply #8   Dec 19, 2010 4:11 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Honestly no one can decide this for you. Drive the units and buy the one you like. You can't go wrong with Toro. Toro makes a great machine and it does everything well. I've driven mine into frozen snow berms created by plows more than a month earlier and it chewed them out with no drama. Your EOD will get spat out with a vengeance, so no more shoveling anything with a Toro.

Whatever you decide on be certain you are happy with it and post pics with whatever you end up with.

Steve

Hey, how about some new videos this winter?  You should be getting some decent snow there. 

The Chicagoland area has been teased with overjealous news weatherman posting winter advisory and warning every week.  After all said and done, we just get one or two inches of wimpy snow that's barely fun with a single stage snowblower.  I got a 11 horse monster sitting on a dolly waiting for some serious snow action.
FrankMA

Reply #9   Dec 19, 2010 6:17 pm
I can't speak for steve_cebu, but down here on the MA/NH border we have got nothing to speak of to date! I've got 2 new to me snowblower/snowthrowers to test out and can't catch a break if my life depended upon it!!!

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #10   Dec 19, 2010 8:14 pm
I'm thinking maybe the purchases of two snowblowers in one year may have jinxed it.  Maybe you should look into buying a pair of summer tires.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Dec 19, 2010 9:46 pm
aa335 wrote:
Hey, how about some new videos this winter?  You should be getting some decent snow there. 

The Chicagoland area has been teased with overjealous news weatherman posting winter advisory and warning every week.  After all said and done, we just get one or two inches of wimpy snow that's barely fun with a single stage snowblower.  I got a 11 horse monster sitting on a dolly waiting for some serious snow action.

I'd be happy to oblige once we get more than a flurry. We did get a light dusting a few days back but the sun came out and it went away. We aren't even predicted to get any snow for some time. You have to go 2-3 hours north of me to get any snow and even then they are making it for the ski areas. To paraphrase a song "All revved up with no snow to blow"

I will be posting more vids and measuring distance throws EOD vs driveway etc... But I've gotta have some white gold before I can throw it. Hopefully it will snow so we can get some warmer weather.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42