Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Purchased the Honda HS928

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Izzynormal

Purchased the Honda HS928
Original Message   Dec 10, 2010 5:12 am
After shovelling 8-10 hrs. a day last year I swore to get a good snowblower.

Decided on the Honda HS928 without seeing one first hand.  My first impression

is that it's a bit short for most Americans who are tend to be taller than people

from other parts of the world.  I also thought some simple design aspects were

overlooked.  Mainly no tie down plates so you can transport the blower to other

places.  Considering this model is a commercial grade you'd think they'd have

thought of it.

The machine is difficult to maneuver without the engine running.  I'm thinking a

set of "training wheels" might do wonders for a tracked machine.  A kick plate

that would flip some wheels down to turn it around would have been one way

to solve the problem.  I also thought there should be a way to steer by braking or

even reversing either track like a tank.  Even a way to shift either track into neutral

would make steering pretty nice.  (I used to drive VW Beetles that I had equipped

with a JC Whitney dual lever parking brake adapter that would allow the driver to

pull on either handle to brake rear drive wheel. The other wheel would push

the car in the direction of the wheel that was being held with the handle.  It used

the braked wheel as a pivot enabling you to steer with the front wheels and the

one rear wheel.)  

I still think my choice was good.  I had purchased a used Honda Weed Trimmer

(UMK 431) last summer and was very impressed with the quality (other than the

stupid design of the line spool which I substitued with an aftermarket design that

uses short peices of line (about 9") stuck into three tabs (I spray a bit of wd-40 into

the holes to make feeding the line peices easier).  I also purchased an older Honda

Van (2001) and was also impressed with the design and reliability.  Have ridden a Honda

Scooter for past 5 years with no complaints there either (it's the PS-250 Big Ruckus).

I was a bit disappointed with the dealer's instructions (failed to mention the fuel shutoff

which I think is VERY important) and I didn't see any grease on parts such as the chute

directional control, etc. 

Replies: 7 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
hobbes

Re: Purchased the Honda HS928
Reply #7   Dec 15, 2010 1:15 pm
Hi, I have a Honda HS1132TAS. The three level shifting thing is a bit weird at first. Actually it still is and this is my second season. I find that sometimes the positions do not catch. And once I let go of the handles it just goes back to what it was before. In general I try a few times and eventually I get it. Sometimes I think I pull to much and go from level 0 cruise no-snow collection, to level 2 digg down, skipping over the "Normal Position". Fortunately the dig down position makes alot of noise, so you know you have over cooked it :).... Cheers, Mike.
tkrotchko

Reply #8   Dec 15, 2010 6:20 pm
hobbes wrote:
Hi, I have a Honda HS1132TAS. The three level shifting thing is a bit weird at first. Actually it still is and this is my second season. I find that sometimes the positions do not catch. And once I let go of the handles it just goes back to what it was before. In general I try a few times and eventually I get it. Sometimes I think I pull to much and go from level 0 cruise no-snow collection, to level 2 digg down, skipping over the "Normal Position". Fortunately the dig down position makes alot of noise, so you know you have over cooked it :).... Cheers, Mike.

You've made me feel better. That's precisely how this thing works and I was afraid it was broken.
This message was modified Dec 15, 2010 by tkrotchko
aa335

Reply #9   Dec 19, 2010 4:01 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
You've made me feel better. That's precisely how this thing works and I was afraid it was broken.

Once the operator is broken in, everything seems to work just right.  :)
FrankMA

Reply #10   Dec 19, 2010 6:22 pm
These finely engineered machines are like a great woman, you have to know how to work them or you'll just be wasting your time! Just my .02 cents.....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #11   Dec 19, 2010 8:18 pm
Yes, I got this finicky woman figured out.  Every crank and lever, left turn, right turn, reverse.  She's got a special parking spot, towards the inside wall where it's warm.  The problem is not getting enough seat time. 
njal

Reply #12   Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm
 congratulations to all you new honda owners!!! Your going to love your new toys!

I wish we would get some snow here in Jersey..

aa335

Reply #13   Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm
Well, actually, a lot of snowblower owners just got done with clay and wax so we don't want any of that white stuff coming down and mess up our good work.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #14   Dec 20, 2010 6:38 pm
aa335 wrote:
Well, actually, a lot of snowblower owners just got done with clay and wax so we don't want any of that white stuff coming down and mess up our good work.  :)

That's right it would ruin all that hard work we put into making them nice and shiny and we'd have to do it all over again! Don't want that. All that salt and EOD muck getting in all the cracks that we spent hours cleaning our snowblowers with a box of Q-tips.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
ClassikRam

Reply #15   Jan 22, 2011 10:53 pm
If you have electric start use an extention cord, depress the drive lever, hit the start button and the machine will move.

I used this when my blower quit running some distance from my garage. I let the starter cool down a bit after about 10 feet

to be on the safe side. Also handy when in storage with no gas in it, but has to have oil as the engine turns over.

Hope this helps, I remembered starting an old 55 Ford standard trans. in gear( drove Automatic earlier)

and it jumped ahead, same principle for the

blower.

This message was modified Jan 22, 2011 by ClassikRam
Replies: 7 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42