Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Help with snowblower auger pulley removal

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
AAlvarez

Help with snowblower auger pulley removal
Original Message   Dec 12, 2010 1:53 pm
Hi,

searched high and low and this seemed to be the only site that had a "snowblower" section

anyway, I have an OLD Bradford 3 stage 26 inch snowblower (from my research "Bradford was the brand name of some department store thats long gone). After more research it seems that the manufacturer could be AMF which became Murray which is now out of business.  

Now on to my question. I am trying to remove the auger assembly to repair the LH auger cause someone used regular bolts not sheer pins :(

I have split the Auger bucket from the frame

looking at the pulley i noticed two set screws which i removed.

I am wondering if this is all i need to remove before tryin to pull the pulley off?

of course it being an old machine its not just sliding off, should i use a puller?

any help would be appreciated.

Al Picture of the beast Photobucket

This message was modified Dec 12, 2010 by AAlvarez
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Help with snowblower auger pulley removal
Reply #1   Dec 12, 2010 3:19 pm
I have never seen one that looks quite like that.  You could try hammering it down do break it loose than using a prybar behind it to wedge it up.  A lot of people have had success using a pickle fork / ball joint separator.  I looks like a big wedge shaped tuning fork.  If you get one of those make sure it is for ball joints as the tie rod end ones have been reported as too small.  I have heard of people breaking the center hubs on 2 piece pullets when trying to use pullers so be careful.

Unerdog had a blower that had the auger rakes rusted to the shaft and tried everything he could with no success.  Then in desperation he filled the tube with Evapo-Rust from Harbor Freight and sealed it up for a few days and it dissolved the rust and his rake popped right off.
This message was modified Dec 12, 2010 by Shryp
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42