Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Something broke

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mdd1

Something broke
Original Message   Dec 11, 2010 7:59 pm
I've got a 2003 MTD 5hp snowblower and it was working good until I heard something break.

I thought it was a aluminum pop can or something by the sound at first but it almost sounded more internal.

My snowblower still starts and moves forwards and still reverses but dies when I try to engage the auger.

If anyone can help me figure out what that sounds like I'd appreciate it thanks.
Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mdd1

Re: Something broke
Reply #5   Dec 12, 2010 12:09 am
I fixed the picture, nice bolt huh?
Shryp

Re: Something broke
Reply #6   Dec 12, 2010 12:56 am
Ahh, ok.  Now I understand.  I thought we jumped off topic.  The picture clears that up.

First: trouts2 will yell at you for posting such a big picture.
You should resize to 640x480 or something because that is huge.

Second: disconnect the spark plug wire.

Third: Stick your hand or, if you want to be safe and keep your hand, a stick in there and turn the impeller backwards.
You won't be able to turn the augers, you have to reach the impeller in the back.  Make sure you turn it backwards which
basically amounts to reaching through the chute and pushing down instead of up like it moves when throwing.

Suprising that it stopped dead like that and didn't break the shear bolts.  Maybe you should pull the shear bolts out
and make sure that the rakes are not stuck in the shaft.  When they get jammed they are suppose to break so you don't
ruin the gears inside the gearbox.
This message was modified Dec 12, 2010 by Shryp
Replies: 5 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42