Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 924036 Drive

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
skazastu

Ariens 924036 Drive
Original Message   Dec 4, 2010 10:36 am
I have an old Ariens 5 hp Mod #924036 snowblower that runs great.  Problem is the drive wheels.  How does the drive plate make contact with the friction wheel?   I've adjusted the handle all the way out and it still doesn"t make solid contact.  I've also replaced the friction wheel and that hasn't helped.  It seems to have solid contact in reverse, and it does drive slightly in the forward speeds.  Could the drive plate be uneven?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Anticipating the first snow soon.
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
skazastu

Re: Ariens 924036 Drive
Reply #5   Dec 4, 2010 2:31 pm
Thanks for the response.  I set the adjusting nut and the wheel made contact.  Then it would not retract.  I tapped it back and it disengaged.  Is there a spring that pulls the disc back when you release the handle?  How much  travel should there be when you pull the lever?  It doesn't seem to move very much at all.  What should I lubricate the shaft with.  As I said, the machine is pretty old and was last serviced 3 years ago.
Shryp

Reply #6   Dec 4, 2010 2:38 pm
The one I picked up wouldn't disengage and I had to oil it.  Try separating the auger from the tractor and you will see the pulley that activates the drive.  I sprayed some PB Blaster down there to clean it out and then put some oil on the part that moves back and forth.  While you have it open make sure the spring is still there.  Mine was just all gummed up and needed some lube.

If you push the handle up and down you will see how it moves.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by Shryp
skazastu

Reply #7   Dec 4, 2010 2:49 pm
Thanks a lot.  I'm going to separate the auger and quit for the day.  It looks like I'll replace the belts while I'm at it.  Looks to me like it needs a good lube.  Thanks again.
Shryp

Reply #8   Dec 4, 2010 2:52 pm
OK, if you need more help some pictures might help.  I don't have any pictures of mine apart and I don't feel like taking it apart right now :)

When I picked up mine the lever would not come back up on its own.  I had to pull it back up to disengage the drive.
This message was modified Dec 4, 2010 by Shryp
skazastu

Reply #9   Dec 7, 2010 6:34 pm
Brought tractor into work.  Removed flywheel and found the fork that moves the spindle was broken.  Quite a job getting the piece out.  Mechanic will clean and re-weld the part and should be good to go.  Needs some lubrication.  Thanks for the advice.
Shryp

Reply #10   Dec 7, 2010 7:34 pm
Glad you found the problem.
Replies: 5 - 10 of 10Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42