Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stealth94rt

Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?
Original Message   Nov 14, 2010 9:00 pm
I was ready to purchase the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from the Home Depot. However, I've read various posts on the Internet that state the Ariens snow blowers sold by HD are not the same as the ones you would get from an Ariens dealership (even though HD is listed as an Ariens dealer on the Ariens website).

My local dealer does not carry the Platinum 24 model. However, they stated that when you order a snow blower from HD, it goes to your closest dealer for setup and delivery. I've also read posts on the Internet that state the same thing.

I then contacted HD customer service (via their online chat feature) and they didn't seem to know anything about this.

So, my questions...
1. Should I buy an Ariens Platinum 24 from the HD store (online)? Are their units the same (and same quality) as those carried by the Ariens dealerships?
2. If "yes", will it go to the local Ariens dealership for setup before I receive it?

Thanks for any help you can provide on these questions.
Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
fx72

Re: Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?
Reply #10   Nov 30, 2010 10:06 am
Another reason I went with HD was the cost savings:

* Free Shipping
* Received 5% back from a cash back site
* Received an additional 10% back from HD

PM me if you would like more detailed info.
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Snowmann wrote:

If you buy on Homedepot.com, the unit gets delivered to you by a dealer from dealer stock, setup, and often fueled up with some operational instruction from the dealership.

If you buy from Homedepot.com in Marlboro Massachusetts the machine is delivered to your address free in a box unassembled by a delivery type guy, not an Ariens dealer.  I went over the dealer delivery with setup and check out but Home Depot guy said no, does not happen.   I went over this a few times to be sure we were on the same page.  No setup by a dealer, no check out by a dealer and no delivery by a dealer.  If you want setup you buy it at the store and they will setup free there for your pickup.  Deliver is $56.  The policy is not for a lack of local dealers as there are plenty around.     

This message was modified Dec 11, 2010 by trouts2
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #12   Dec 11, 2010 10:30 am
Why Not Buy a machine from the people who service them and sell the spare parts ? ?  It is true that Home Depot beats down the price of the product so they're the cheapest.  Do You know how they allowed the manufacturer to compromise your machine to make certain it becomes the Cheapest one they make ?  Bolts that rust instaed of expensive stainless steel ?  Maybe even self tapping screws instead of nuts and bolt with lock washers. A motor made in Bangladesch ?  Maybe they removed the fuel shutoff valve or the carb with the ability to trap dirt and be cleaned and drained.  Would you buy your car from Walmart knowing you have to take it to the local dealer for everything else  ?   Be smart, NOT CHEAP !  In the end it costs you less ! Companies who refuse to Compromise their product, don't sell to Home Dump-O, who expects to Dictate the Price they'll pay,  there's a lesson in that for you.
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #13   Dec 11, 2010 10:36 am
New_Yorker wrote:
Why Not Buy a machine from the people who service them and sell the spare parts ? ?  It is true that Home Depot beats down the price of the product so they're the cheapest.  Do You know how they allowed the manufacturer to compromise your machine to make certain it becomes the Cheapest one they make ?  Bolts that rust instaed of expensive stainless steel ?  Maybe even self tapping screws instead of nuts and bolt with lock washers. A motor made in Bangladesch ?  Maybe they removed the fuel shutoff valve or the carb with the ability to trap dirt and be cleaned and drained.  Would you buy your car from Walmart knowing you have to take it to the local dealer for everything else  ?   Be smart, NOT CHEAP !  In the end it costs you less ! Companies who refuse to Compromise their product, don't sell to Home Dump-O, who expects to Dictate the Price they'll pay,  there's a lesson in that for you.

My understanding is that an Ariens is an Ariens no matter whom you buy it from. No differences as long as you are talking about the exact same model number.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

chefwong

Reply #14   Dec 11, 2010 10:41 am
money is money right ? I agree to both camps but if it's $50 spread, I would be inclined to push the sale to the local OPE dealer. Margins are tough as is, and if I can keep the smaller guy in business, within price differntial reason, it's the way to go. If you have a warranty issue, who do you think you will get better service from ? The local Ariens OPE dealers or Home Depot ?

I'll admit that there are tons of materials that the supply houses are better, but if I'm going to buy 2x Wood.....I generally go to HD cause I get to pick the ones I want ........
Replies: 10 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42