Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Never owned a snow blower - thoughts on what will work?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gdoll

Never owned a snow blower - thoughts on what will work?
Original Message   Nov 18, 2010 3:41 pm
I live in Calgary - we get a moderate amount of snow, rarely more than 8 to 10inches at a time, usually in the 2-4" range. The issue here is snow drifts.  I live in a north facing house at the south end of a cul de sac and get drifts all the time on the bottom half of driveway.  My driveway is for a 3car garage - not super long (probably 25ft, but easily 40 ft wide. I have been reading lots about single stage throwers - i like the fact they clean to the pavement, but am concerned if they can throw the snow far enough or can chew through a foot deep snow drifts a few times a year.  The other option of course is the 2 stage throwers - they seem a bit big and I've read they don't get down to the pavement. I am also not the  most mechanically inclined individual in the world...

Help?? Any thoughts on what my best bets would be?  I need something that my wife would be comfortalbe using as well. Any comments are appreciated...

Replies: 10 - 19 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
gdoll

Re: Never owned a snow blower - thoughts on what will work?
Reply #10   Nov 19, 2010 2:07 pm
Thanks for all the advice.  I went for the 24" 2-stage...ended up buying a Craftsman/MD with a 249cc B/S engine, 11.5 lbs of torque. Wish me luck!
superbuick

Reply #11   Nov 19, 2010 5:44 pm
Good Luck!
This message was modified Jan 2, 2011 by superbuick
Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Nov 19, 2010 7:17 pm
superbuick wrote:
Last time I checked, mixing oil and gas wasn't difficult or a "problem".  In fact, tipping over a 300lb behemoth to change the oil once a season (mandatory with all 4 strokes) seems like more of a problem to me....

The rubber paddles are not adjustable, they simply wear.  It takes about 15 years to wear out a rubber paddle here in New England, and in that time you'll have gone through MANY more sheAr pins/bolts on a 2 stage unit.  Not to mention 15 messy oil changes.....

I'll take the 2 stroke any day of the week.  Check out the commercial snow guys and see what they're running - 2 stroke single stages....fast, powerful, effective, and basically maintenance free.

Here in Upper NH they use Honda and Toro at the colleges for clearing the walks for the students. They do not use singles stage blowers that I have seen or heard of. Single stages are limited and up here when you might get 12+ inches of snow a single stage won't cut it. They are good for places where you get a lot less snow.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #13   Nov 19, 2010 10:00 pm
I'm in northeastern MA on the NH border and I don't see many single stage machines around these parts. I think if you have small areas to contend with or if working a 2 stage is a problem then a single would be the best way to go. For a property owner with a substantial amount of snow clearing needs, a 2 stage is really the most practical way to get the job done. I'm not trying to start a single vs. 2 stage war - just stating that a single stage would not be the tool of choice for most of the storms in this area.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
giocam

Reply #14   Nov 19, 2010 10:30 pm
superbuick wrote:
  Check out the commercial snow guys and see what they're running - 2 stroke single stages....fast, powerful, effective, and basically maintenance free.

Not where I live. Single stage is useless here.
trouts2

Reply #15   Nov 20, 2010 8:29 am

The purpose of the forum is to help people.  Giving advice with exaggeration and miss information is not so helpful to the poster or others who’ll search the forum for information.

>>In fact, tipping over a 300lb behemoth to change the oil once a season

Is “tipping over” a machine required for an oil change?  I could not tip over any two stage but can still do oil changes. Machines average 300lbs?   Why do you tip your machine over to do an oil change?

>>It takes about 15 years to wear out a rubber paddle here in New England,

The big machines have not been around that long so how do you know that?

Single stages used as a main machine have their paddles wear way before 15 years judging from the many single stages I have purchased from owners with worn out paddles.

>>Check out the commercial snow guys and see what they're running - 2 stroke single stages....fast, powerful, effective, and basically maintenance free.

I deal with quite a few commercial snow guys and none of them use single stages to do their main clearing.   A couple clear with two stages but most have plows.  Many have small single stage 3-5hp’s because they are light and very good at cleanup, paths and walkways.  I don’t know any that have the big single stage machines 6hp or above.  A few have come here to buy two stages from me and I guide them to single stages.

I have met a few people who have very small driveways that use single stages, 5hp or lower and like them.  They were fine with putting up with the shortcomings of a SS on bigger storms and EOD, no problem for them. 

A few around Boston with parking spots or condo owners that clear parking spots like the single stages.  I have only met one guy west of Boston who gets the same snow as me, had Ariens 5hp or larger and loved it.  I bought his Ariens ST724 two stage which he did not use anymore.  He had a double wide drive about 8-10 cars long.  I quizzed him quite bit and he said he had zero problems with EOD or any large storms in the last several years.  Hard to believe but that’s what he said and he stuck to it.

superbuick

Reply #16   Nov 20, 2010 10:09 am
You must use a siphon pump or other device to drain oil.  Most of the 4 stroke engines I've worked on (a few hundred or so) have required tipping to get the oil out.  Short of removing the engine from the snowblower, this means tipping the unit for me.  The bottom line here is that it is a FAR more difficult and laborious procedure than mixing oil and gas, which is basically as messy and complicated as putting sugar in your morning coffee.  Perhaps 200 - 250lbs would have been a more accurate figure, but my point still remains the same regarding maintaining 2 stroke vs 4 stroke.  In your defense, changing the oil on a 4 stroke single stage is even WORSE.
This message was modified Jan 2, 2011 by superbuick
Shryp

Reply #17   Nov 20, 2010 10:24 am
The blowers I have seen all have oil drains on the bottom of the engine.  The older ones had it on the side and it could be easier to drain after removing a wheel.  The newer blowers all seem to have an extended drain tube on the back and look easy to change the oil on.  The old Toro I have with a Honda clone engine on it I did tip on its side slightly so I could get the oil drain bolt out without making a mess.  After tipping it a bit it made all the oil go to the other side and I slid an old oil quart cut into a funnel with the tip sticking out between the engine and frame and it made it easier to change without making a mess.
chefwong

Reply #18   Nov 20, 2010 10:28 am
Superbuick - Easy on the wax and chrome polish. You're blinding me here

Makes me want to get polish out the chute controls but methinks that after this season, I may be flipping as I figure out a 'ole blue model
aa335

Reply #19   Nov 20, 2010 10:59 am
How did you ever find a 22 year old snowblower that looks as  good as that?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 59Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42