Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stealth94rt

Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?
Original Message   Nov 14, 2010 9:00 pm
I was ready to purchase the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from the Home Depot. However, I've read various posts on the Internet that state the Ariens snow blowers sold by HD are not the same as the ones you would get from an Ariens dealership (even though HD is listed as an Ariens dealer on the Ariens website).

My local dealer does not carry the Platinum 24 model. However, they stated that when you order a snow blower from HD, it goes to your closest dealer for setup and delivery. I've also read posts on the Internet that state the same thing.

I then contacted HD customer service (via their online chat feature) and they didn't seem to know anything about this.

So, my questions...
1. Should I buy an Ariens Platinum 24 from the HD store (online)? Are their units the same (and same quality) as those carried by the Ariens dealerships?
2. If "yes", will it go to the local Ariens dealership for setup before I receive it?

Thanks for any help you can provide on these questions.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
fx72

Re: Should I buy the Ariens Platinum 24 snow blower from Home Depot?
Reply #3   Nov 15, 2010 7:24 am
I actually ordered the same model from HD. Main reason was that I had lot of reward points from my credit card that I used to get HD gift cards. I am waiting for my Platinum 24 to be delivered, should be this week. When I received the shipping info, the platinum 24 was shipped from:

Ariens Co
655 W Ryan St
Brillion WI 54110 - 1072

and as of 4:01AM today it is at the local mower company.
This message was modified Nov 15, 2010 by fx72
stealth94rt

Reply #4   Nov 15, 2010 8:22 pm
Thanks to all who replied. Since my local dealer does not have the Platinum 24, I think I will get it from HD. The dealer told me she would have to pay an 8% shipping charge if she special orders one from Ariens, but if I get it from HD it will come to her shop directly for the setup and delivery.

I want the Platinum 24 because of the traction control and quick chute adjustment (the handwarmers are just  bonus). I'm primarily getting the unit to open up the end of my driveway (about 3-4 cars wide) when the township plow rolls by. It's a bear to shovel by hand and my little single-stage blower couldn't handle the icy chunks. I wanted something that will be quick to turn and adjust, as I am somewhat trying to dodge traffic as I'm working down there.

Thanks again.
cwest

Reply #5   Nov 18, 2010 11:41 am
I had the same concerns as you,  but was assured by the local dealer that the machines are the same whether you buy from HD or a dealer.  The whole process took about a week from ordering it through HD to sitting in my garage waiting for the first big dump.

I too went with the Ariens Platinum 24.

good luck, cwest

stealth94rt

Reply #6   Nov 18, 2010 3:55 pm
Thanks very much for that additional info. I ordered my machine from HD yesterday (I went with the Platinum 24).

I tried to get it through the local dealer - I found another dealer in the area that had it in stock, and asked my dealer if they could obtain it from the other one. However, they wanted to charge me a $25 delivery fee, which they said I would not incur if I purchased it from HD and it went to them for setup and delivery. So, I went the HD route.

I'm very excited about it, and I can't wait for it to arrive (and then get some snow...)
starwarrior

Reply #7   Nov 23, 2010 1:46 am
Hey all,

Although most companies are going to say they use qualified  assemblers,

keep in mind that they don't exactly hire Harvard grads to put these things together.

Most third party assembly houses are paid a per unit flat fee and will only allocate a specific

amount of  time to assemble each unit.  I found it's generally not the overall hardware assembly

but the fine tuning adjustments that makes the difference and finding a shop that will take time to

check all the adjustments is difficult. Let's face it, while the advertising agency is wowing you by

presenting a professional atmosphere, Guavi, Allonzo, and Cheeno watched a 1 hour training video

and are ready and waiting to wipe the smudges off your chute.

You can rest assure, the best assembly is the one you did yourself.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by starwarrior
cwest

Reply #8   Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm
stealth94rt wrote:
Thanks very much for that additional info. I ordered my machine from HD yesterday (I went with the Platinum 24).

I tried to get it through the local dealer - I found another dealer in the area that had it in stock, and asked my dealer if they could obtain it from the other one. However, they wanted to charge me a $25 delivery fee, which they said I would not incur if I purchased it from HD and it went to them for setup and delivery. So, I went the HD route.

I'm very excited about it, and I can't wait for it to arrive (and then get some snow...)

Did you get your snow blower yet??
slinger

Reply #9   Nov 29, 2010 11:45 pm
 When I bought my Ariens Platinum 24 through HD (unfortunately I don't have a local dealer), I found out where the 3rd party assembler was located and contacted them directly.  After speaking to the actual guy who would be setting up my machine I found him to be very knowledgeable about the machine.  Granted, I purchased it before the season was kicking into high gear and the guy had some spare time to answer all of my questions...probably by now they are starting to get pretty busy.  I feel I got just as much info as if I went to a local dealer.  Obviously, some of these assemblers are going to be better than others but at least I had a good experience there.  The unit arrived set up properly, but they didn't seem to lube everything very well.  Sure, grease fittings are all taken care of but there are so many other points of friction that seemed to be left dry. Once I hit them all myself the machine felt so much smoother all around.  I also did a bunch of little tweaks to improve things (in my mind anyway), but I'm pretty picky about how I think things should be built since I've worked in manufacturing for 30 years. 
fx72

Reply #10   Nov 30, 2010 10:06 am
Another reason I went with HD was the cost savings:

* Free Shipping
* Received 5% back from a cash back site
* Received an additional 10% back from HD

PM me if you would like more detailed info.
trouts2

Reply #11   Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm
Snowmann wrote:

If you buy on Homedepot.com, the unit gets delivered to you by a dealer from dealer stock, setup, and often fueled up with some operational instruction from the dealership.

If you buy from Homedepot.com in Marlboro Massachusetts the machine is delivered to your address free in a box unassembled by a delivery type guy, not an Ariens dealer.  I went over the dealer delivery with setup and check out but Home Depot guy said no, does not happen.   I went over this a few times to be sure we were on the same page.  No setup by a dealer, no check out by a dealer and no delivery by a dealer.  If you want setup you buy it at the store and they will setup free there for your pickup.  Deliver is $56.  The policy is not for a lack of local dealers as there are plenty around.     

This message was modified Dec 11, 2010 by trouts2
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #12   Dec 11, 2010 10:30 am
Why Not Buy a machine from the people who service them and sell the spare parts ? ?  It is true that Home Depot beats down the price of the product so they're the cheapest.  Do You know how they allowed the manufacturer to compromise your machine to make certain it becomes the Cheapest one they make ?  Bolts that rust instaed of expensive stainless steel ?  Maybe even self tapping screws instead of nuts and bolt with lock washers. A motor made in Bangladesch ?  Maybe they removed the fuel shutoff valve or the carb with the ability to trap dirt and be cleaned and drained.  Would you buy your car from Walmart knowing you have to take it to the local dealer for everything else  ?   Be smart, NOT CHEAP !  In the end it costs you less ! Companies who refuse to Compromise their product, don't sell to Home Dump-O, who expects to Dictate the Price they'll pay,  there's a lesson in that for you.
Replies: 3 - 12 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42