Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replacement for a Tecumshech OH195SP engine

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
PeteF

Replacement for a Tecumshech OH195SP engine
Original Message   Nov 10, 2010 7:57 pm
In January of 2006 I purchased a Ariens 7524e with a Tecumseh OH195SP-73503C engine.   Last winter one of the oil plugs backed out while I was clearing my driveway and the engine siezed.  The engine is toast.  the body of the Snowblower is in excellent condition so I am trying to find a replacement engine for the blower.  The problem is this engine has the PTO.  Does anyone know of a replacement engine that can be fitted to the body without doing too much fiddling.

Thanks
Replies: 12 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
PeteF

Re: Replacement for a Tecumshech OH195SP engine
Reply #12   Nov 13, 2010 12:33 pm
trouts2 wrote:
Googling around did not get a hit on those engines. You could try to locate a smashed model of the types Snowmann mentioned. I picked up two dead 932’s with perfect motors. Snowmann: On L-head rod freezes and rod breaks the cam usually survives without injury. I’ve never had one that was bad out of 8 broken engines. I’ve opened up one 11hp OHV with a rod break and the cam was fine. PeteF: In what way is the engine toast? Is it just frozen, rod break, or rod break and case cracked? All of those are possible to repair. When the rod freezes it’s because the rod and crank journal heated up so much the rod (aluminum) meltes and attaches to the steel crank journal. If it keeps trying to turn then it snaps. Worse it snaps and the broken rod flails around in there hitting things or worse blowing a hole in the case wall. If you want to try to fix it then post that and you’ll get help. For a frozen rod or a rod break only where there is no case break or damage inside the fix is fairly easy which is to clean the journal with acid and buy and stick in a new rod. As Snowmann mentioned you could try to get another motor like yours which does not have a PTO and install into it your cam and case cover. I’ve converted three L-head 8hp’s to PTO. It’s fairly simple and you don’t even have to remove the oil while doing it. An OHV would be similar. In fact, many Briggs drawings of PTO engines the drawings have two case covers and two cams, one set for PTO and the other non-PTO. Another option is get a used MTD 8hp. With some minor adjustments you’d have strapping snowblower again. This option would be the cheapest by far. Lots of MTD engines out there.
I consider the engine to be toast because shaft won't move AND I can't for the life of me get the case cover off. 
bus708

Reply #13   Nov 13, 2010 2:06 pm
Petef

I found a Techumseh engine for you. It is a OH195SA-72525 7 HP snow king at SMALL ENGINE WAREHOUSE. It does not have a fuel tank.They have 26 engines $260. They also have a OH195SA-72536  7hp snow king  ,same thing with a fuel tank $259, they have 460 in stock. They also have a OH195SA-19566 7hp snow king 160 in stock $239  Free shipping.  I hope this helps
Shryp

Reply #14   Nov 13, 2010 4:48 pm
I have an old compact 922022 that I was in the process of fitting a 5 HP MTD Tecumseh engine on that also has the reverse PTO.

I then got a good deal on a larger full size blower so stuck that in the back of my shed unfinished.

This thread brought up some ideas about me trying to reverse the transmission and converting it to a Harbor Freight 6.5 and keeping it as a backup blower.

I was looking at the transmission, and noticed the wheel axle and friction disk axles are mated with gears with essentially means they spin in opposite directs as well.

This got me thinking of pulling the 2 gears out and replacing them with sprockets and some chain.  This will make them both spin the same direction and negate the reversed PTO on the original engine.
I will also need to change the pulley from the friction wheel as it was the oldstyle dual 1/4" belts, but that is no problem.  Will also need to add 2 little guides to the top sprocket since it floats on the hex shaft.

I am not sure how your transmission is set up, but this might be an easy way for you to reverse your transmission direction and allow a normal engine to be used.
Snowmann

Reply #15   Nov 13, 2010 5:24 pm
The problem with reversing the drive would be that the unit is set up to run from the 2:1 reduction reverse cam PTO. If you flipped the drive and ran from the main PTO you'd be running behind the unit as the axle RPM's would be doubled.
trouts2

Reply #16   Nov 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Shryp: The double speed may not be a show stopper.  You could set the friction disk to be as close as possible to the center of the drive plate and that would be 1.  You could crawl along at the expense of chewing off the friction disk but  even at an increased rate would take many years before it had an effect.  2 would be faster than normal 1 but with the 6.5 GX200 you’d have enough power to clear at a faster rate.  Your machine is only 22 inches not much to load into the impeller.  For massive storms  and nasty EOD you could just take a smaller cut.  For the rest of the driveway with freshly fallen snow 2 would be slightly faster than a normal 1 and not much of an issue    

Also, to offset the speed increase you could go with a pulley change. 

PeteF: I think you mean the crank case cover.   Are you sure you have all the bolts out?

You can try a rubber hammer with lots of light blows on the side going from back to front.

Sometimes industrial razor blades work.  Those are like the old shaving blades but not so great for shaving.  Wedge it in and lightly tap it in further.  Do that at a number of places over and over. 

I have blades I got a flea market that were for some industrial application.  They are super sharp and very thin.  If the razor blades do not work I use those.  Worse case you could use a thin knife but only go in a short distance in many places over and over.  Eventually all the slight movements add up and the case break free. 

One of those motors bus708 listed might.  I only got google hits on one.  It seems to be in the same family as yours so may work.

Shryp

Reply #17   Nov 14, 2010 4:38 am
Yes, I know about the speed change.  I was already thinking of a friction wheel adjustment to compensate and also the smallest engine pulley and largest drive pulley I could get.
Same for the sprockets, smallest  and largest .  This one is actually a 24" model.  Had an H60 engine that was locking up.  The cam PTO was freezing up in the front sump.
I had an H70 that had the crank/flywheel heavily messed up by what I can only guess was a botched points job and switched the cam/sump over and got the H60 running.
This project is not a priority since I already have a 924026 8/24 to use this year and a backup Toro 38035 35/21 that already has the 6.5 clone on it from last winter.

I should probably just dump it, but It seems to be better constructed than the Toro as well as using a lot of the same pieces as the bigger Ariens.  It is also 3" wider which I found annoying on the Toro.

I posted the idea I was thinking of more for PeteF than for myself as I am in no hurry right now.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2010 by Shryp
kallekalamies

Reply #18   Feb 12, 2011 6:55 am
Thanks the international cargo to Finland for an engine is about 790-1200 USD ! Crazy! and all because of aircargosafety things for a non used engine...
Replies: 12 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42