Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Use of snow blowers on steep incline.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DougDeLashmutt

Use of snow blowers on steep incline.
Original Message   Nov 8, 2010 8:22 pm
Hi All.  I am going to buy a snow blower soon and need some advice.  My driveway is between 20% to 30% grade for about 150 feet..   I am concerded that a wheel drive snow blower will not be able to get up a drive that steep with snow on the drive.  At what angle of incline does a trak drive blower need to be considered?  What is the primary puopose of trak drive?. 

Thanks!

Doug D

Thanks everybody for the input. 

Doug D

This message was modified Nov 9, 2010 by DougDeLashmutt
Replies: 13 - 22 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
chefwong

Re: Use of snow blowers on steep incline.
Reply #13   Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm
Back on topic....for you Hundaa heads out there, do you feel that you can maneuver just as well with the tracks as the wheeled models ? Off topic : Nokian tires rock. It's just a shame, just like these dwindled down red buckets we get out here. We are 2 years behind in current Nokian snow tire technology ....and their current revision of the Haks are pretty damm amazing.. I thought the Hak 5 series were quite a deal, but the Hak 7 overseas trumps it 2 1/2 fold at least
chefwong

Reply #14   Nov 17, 2010 6:51 pm
Back on topic....for you Hundaa heads out there, do you feel that you can maneuver just as well with the tracks as the wheeled models ? Off topic : Nokian tires rock. It's just a shame, just like these dwindled down red buckets we get out here. We are 2 years behind in current Nokian snow tire technology ....and their current revision of the Haks are pretty damm amazing.. I thought the Hak 5 series were quite a deal, but the Hak 7 overseas trumps it 2 1/2 fold at least
aa335

Reply #15   Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm
I was looking into those Nokian snow tires for my rear wheel drive car a few years ago.  They look like they do a good job with traction on snow.  We don't get a lot of snow at one time, and when the pavement is dry, I'm pretty aggressive on tires so I didn't think those Nokian compounds would nog hold up too well.  Plus I wasn't comfortable with the Q or T speed rating on those tires.  I have Dunlop Wintersport 3D and it's a fairly decent compromise for this area.  Plus, with my wheel size to fit the brake rotors, the highest profile I can get is 40 series in snow tires.

i really would like a truck for my winter driving.  Good ground clearance (5" with my current car) and not worrying about dodging pot holes that sends shockwave through the car. 
This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #16   Nov 17, 2010 8:29 pm
8 Pots up front.....40 Profile as well.
It's all in the wheels as well to a degree.

19" clear my breaks. Another set of 20's, I need to run a 5mm spacer for it to clear it by a hair.

FWIW, the Nokians wear very well.....It's one of those tires where you run it once and never look back.

The WR is more a all season tire with snow symbol on it. I prefer true dedicated snows and true dedicated summers...
Steve_Cebu

Reply #17   Nov 17, 2010 9:22 pm
aa335 wrote:
I was looking into those Nokian snow tires for my rear wheel drive car a few years ago.  They look like they do a good job with traction on snow.  We don't get a lot of snow at one time, and when the pavement is dry, I'm pretty aggressive on tires so I didn't think those Nokian compounds would nog hold up too well.  Plus I wasn't comfortable with the Q or T speed rating on those tires.  I have Dunlop Wintersport 3D and it's a fairly decent compromise for this area.  Plus, with my wheel size to fit the brake rotors, the highest profile I can get is 40 series in snow tires.

i really would like a truck for my winter driving.  Good ground clearance (5" with my current car) and not worrying about dodging pot holes that sends shockwave through the car. 

If you have a truck or AWD vehicle that's different. if I didn't have Nokian snow tires I would not be able to get home in the winter. They really last since the WRG2's are all season tires but are snowflake rated.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm
chefwong wrote:
8 Pots up front.....40 Profile as well.
It's all in the wheels as well to a degree.

19" clear my breaks. Another set of 20's, I need to run a 5mm spacer for it to clear it by a hair.

FWIW, the Nokians wear very well.....It's one of those tires where you run it once and never look back.

The WR is more a all season tire with snow symbol on it. I prefer true dedicated snows and true dedicated summers...

Correct, the WR is an all season tire with a 50,000 mile rating. It will do the job where I live. I used to run dedicated snows on my Miata when it was all I had but they are like running on jello here when it gets even a little bit warm. We have to use a compromise tire like the WRG2's. Our weather in New England really bits so all seasons are best for up here. My car is nothing to brag about for handling or performance anyway. If was a wee bit bigger I could almost put my snowblower in it tho.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #19   Nov 18, 2010 4:55 pm
I used to run dedicated snow tire on a Honda Accord.  Very good traction on snow and ice at cold temperatures.  Warm and dry handling, on the other hand, was unbearable.  Mushy and slow steering response, feels like the tires only have 10 psi and the threads are rolling over at every corner.  Definitely not a compromise I want.

My current car is far from a dedicated snow car (RWD, 300+ HP, 5 inch ground clearance), so dedicated snow tires don't work for me, for the snow fall around here.  Major roads are cleared often and heavily salted.  I rather buy a second skinny tire car like a Corolla with mushy handling and numb steering to begin with.  Suspension so soft that it doesn't even feel a pot hole.  The Corolla is actually good in snow, even deep now, so stable and numb, but that's all it's good for.
This message was modified Nov 18, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #20   Nov 18, 2010 7:13 pm
aa335 wrote:
I used to run dedicated snow tire on a Honda Accord.  Very good traction on snow and ice at cold temperatures.  Warm and dry handling, on the other hand, was unbearable.  Mushy and slow steering response, feels like the tires only have 10 psi and the threads are rolling over at every corner.  Definitely not a compromise I want.

My current car is far from a dedicated snow car (RWD, 300+ HP, 5 inch ground clearance), so dedicated snow tires don't work for me, for the snow fall around here.  Major roads are cleared often and heavily salted.  I rather buy a second skinny tire car like a Corolla with mushy handling and numb steering to begin with.  Suspension so soft that it doesn't even feel a pot hole.  The Corolla is actually good in snow, even deep now, so stable and numb, but that's all it's good for.

I have a Honda Fit and it has very skinny tires, handling is ok, it gets about 34mpg combined which drops to about 31mpg combined in the winter. My wife can easily get 36-37mpg combined out of hers. It's not a car you'd write home about but it's ok for what we use it for. The WRG2's are great on it and go through snow like a 4x4. It sounds like you are driving a BMW 335i. Your nick kinda alludes to that. Nice car, I almost bought one. I'm saving up for when I move back overseas. I'd like to buy a nice condo in cash, so no mortgage. No snow ever again either.

JGtravelor

Reply #21   Jan 15, 2011 11:28 am
Definitely go with a any snowblower with the tank tread design. My honda HS928TA (TA) being the special track, will go up any hill, snow banking into a pick-up truck or up the ramp of my trailor. The other benefit is the foot pedal to select the snow blower  height. No side skids to adjust with a wrench or that pick up rocks and break shear pins.

The other great thing is no shifting with the hydrostatic drive, joystick like lever for either forward or reverse at any variable speed, no clutch nor pressure disc to clean.

rubinew

Reply #22   Jan 15, 2011 11:39 am
drifter wrote:
My thinking is that you want tracks on an inclined driveway; primarily due to the possibility of ice patches under the snow. I've been in a couple of "hairy" situations after falling on my fairly steep driveway while shoveling. Not only did I fall (yeeeeouch), but I actually slid towards the end of the driveway. Only the snowbank at the end of my driveway, prevented me from sliding out into oncoming traffic. My eyes were as big as saucers on that one. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to have a running snowblower following me down that slope. I'm going to invest in a pair of spiked overshoes this season.

http://yahoo.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--productId_6880209.html

When I first moved into this place, my car once slid completely sideways on the icy slope, even though I was crawling down the driveway, feathering the brakes all the way. After that experience, I bought bags of sand, which I store in a heated area, otherwise it'll turn into a solid frozen mass.

As for tracked snowblowers being hard to turn, well, I guess that depends on the machine, and technique. On my Honda HS1132TC, I can squeeze the bucket-raising lever on the right-side handle, which raises the bucket a few inches off the ground. Then, I can apply a bit of lift under the handles, which puts all of the machines' weight on the front of the tracks. The middle and back of the tracks are completely off the ground in that instance, allowing me to easily turn the machine. I can literally lift and tilt the machine with one finger.

Thanks for the tip on turning! I am going to try your method. I just purchased a new track drive yamaha, and I have been tilting it up, but I didn't try lifting it forward before turning! I will try this next time out.
Replies: 13 - 22 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42