Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 56 - 65 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #56   Nov 8, 2010 10:02 am
chefwong wrote:
AA - Still jonesying for a 621. You should have never pointed out the GC vs GX....
I kinda like the fact it's got a metal cover as well, I know, silly things

Let's run down a shortlist of things...

- Rebuild/New Carb - $60
- Scraper, Paddles, Belt - $125
- Plug - $7

Minimum - $200 vested repairs into it..
I'd rather replace the carb then rebuild at the cost vs. time ratio....

Do you have new paddles. I am VERY curious what the OEM New length is on this....so I have a reference point.....
Thx

I can relate to how you feel.  There's common blood among connoissure/collectors.   :)  The 621 is a fine piece of machine.  Just want to ground you with some reality though, the HS520 and Toro 221Q being newer and optimized, throw snow further in most instances, except slush. 

I have new paddles not installed yet.  What measurement would you like me to make? 
chefwong

Reply #57   Nov 8, 2010 10:13 am
Northeast territory. We get the wet stuff....
More TOOOORQUE .

You may need to eyeball it, but how much rubber do you have from the edge of the auger paddle to the auger support (as if the paddles are mounted on).

----

I feel like I'm on a time constraint. I either Source a 621 before this winter or I'm keeping the 520. While the 520 may sell well used, it sells even better *brand new*....
This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by chefwong
aa335

Reply #58   Nov 8, 2010 10:18 am
chefwong wrote:
Northeast territory. We get the wet stuff....
More TOOOORQUE .

You may need to eyeball it, but how much rubber do you have from the edge of the auger paddle to the auger support (as if the paddles are mounted on).

Ok, I'll overlay on the auger and make the measurement this evening.  I'll put on the metric eyeglasses, unless you prefer fractions, then I have to stop by the optometrist first. 
aa335

Reply #59   Nov 8, 2010 10:26 am
Most people don't know what a 621 is.  Only people in the know go looking for a used 621.  You can easily sell the 520AS at a higher price than you could pick up a used 621.  Although mint condition 621, hard to come by, is usually well kept and maintained by people who know the value of it and are usually priced high.  You get what you pay for.

Hold on to your 520AS until mid winter, you get even better price then.
chefwong

Reply #60   Nov 8, 2010 11:09 am
The Banghead Smiley is missing on this forum ;-)
I would need 6 of those to start this response....

I have a boatload of cedar that I need to finish indoors to store these puppys.
Can't build it straight outdoors cause due to temps, and proper application of finish coats, I need to do all this indoors.
That is something more like a 2 weekend outdoor project easily done outdoors and now I have to piecemeal it.....grrrrr
aa335

Reply #61   Nov 8, 2010 11:22 am
I don't see a problem here.  I'm sure you can come up with new equipment to make the job faster and better.  :)

You have a Festool shop vac, don't you?
chefwong

Reply #62   Nov 8, 2010 11:35 am
Yeah. The beauty with that and the Kapex in a indoor setup...is 90%+ of the dust is captured.
I don't have the exact percentage but it is HUGE...

BUT, FWIW, it's not now loud as thunder Shopvac.
I feel like I have to baby the Festool.

The bigger regular $50 shopvacs are lounder, and has more  ballz, and I would not hesitate using those as a wet vac....

But the Festool lineup is a ~system~....

While on the topic of tools, previously was using Makita drills, went over to Panasonic drills (sleeper brand like the HS621) but I'm back over to the Makita's.....
Impacts, Drills.  All very balance. Don't really ever need more than 14.4...

Snap On for the track bollts. That thing has some serious torque that no others can compare.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by chefwong
aa335

Reply #63   Nov 8, 2010 11:46 am
You should have never pointed out the Kapex 120.  What a saw.

Ok, I'm not going to visit Festool website, ever again.  I'm just going to put up with loud as a turbine Shop Vac.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #64   Nov 8, 2010 11:53 am
Here's my comparisons.
I would never buy a Honda Snowblower at retail. It's not that important to me to pay the rate of that.
Used is another matter.

With that said, on the Festools, they are similar in price in that they are one of the most expensive lineups in their pedigree.
To a degree, there are alot of products out there at 50% less that will do 90% of the same job as the Festool.

What I like about their products (sanding and cutting) is that they are well balanced, feels great in the hand after long hours and they capture dust very efficiently and is very accurate.
Why cut 3 times when you can get the perfect cut the 1st time around on a miter saw

For drills, I go Makita or Panasonic..
Grinders - Metabo
etc, etc. The list goes on....
aa335

Reply #65   Nov 8, 2010 11:59 am
chefwong wrote:
Why cut 3 times when you can get the perfect cut the 1st time around on a miter saw

You're breaking my heart.  What??? Tell me you have a cabinet saw! 
Replies: 56 - 65 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42