Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Deluxe 30 with Briggs or Subaru

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bigmoe

Ariens Deluxe 30 with Briggs or Subaru
Original Message   Nov 7, 2010 10:13 pm
Okay I've picked out my new snowblower, Ariens Deluxe 30 but I have two engine choices:

Subaru SX30 287cc 9.5hp or Briggs and Stratten 1450 series 305cc with 14.5 torque. The Subaru doesn't show a torque rating in the specs and the Briggs doesn't rate with horspower any more. I assume they are close. Both options are close in price.

Which engine would you get and why.

Thanks

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
giocam

Re: Ariens Deluxe 30 with Briggs or Subaru
Reply #1   Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm
I would go with the Subaru.
I couldn't really give you any logical reason why other than  that its made by a reputable Japanese company. I remember looking into it months back, and this snowblower engine they have is fairly new so I couldn't find much about them in the way of feedback. But their other small engines they have in different products have a good reputation, some say up there with Honda and Yamaha.
slinger

Re: Ariens Deluxe 30 with Briggs or Subaru
Reply #2   Nov 11, 2010 2:59 pm
I would definitely go with the Subaru SX30 engine.  Cast iron sleeve, Over Head Cam, ball bearing crank journals, etc., etc.  This is an industrial engine.  The Briggs are residential engines.  I think the only advantage the Briggs has going for it is better access to parts & service.  I wish they offered that motor on the Platinum 24.  I also wish they offered the Platinum in a 26 or 28.  I would have been all over that...
This message was modified Nov 11, 2010 by slinger
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42