Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New toy!!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

New toy!!!
Original Message   Nov 4, 2010 2:37 pm
I FINALLY decided. LOLOL! I bought the Toro 221Q. :) Now for it to snow so I can try it out!!
What 2 stroke oil is best? It came with Toro's oil mix. I try to use a synthetic blend in my other 2 cycle OPE.
I am sure there will be a learning curve on how to use it.
Thanks for all the advice.

Kelly
Replies: 6 - 15 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
billin

Re: New toy!!!
Reply #6   Nov 5, 2010 5:56 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I would run it up and make sure everything works properly. Any high end 2 stroke synthetic or dino oil will have fuel stabilizer (if that's your concern) built into it. You could also add Stabile, Seafoam or other fuel stabilizer just as an added measure of fuel life.

Seconded - do not wait to fill it with oil+gas and try it out. I also recently got a 221Q and had trouble starting it up initially - you can read about it here:
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/48798-0-1.html

I would not have been happy if I'd had that experience with a foot of snow waiting for me on the driveway.

Personally, I used the Amsoil Saber Outboard synthetic oil which was recommended as a good, low-smoke TCW3 oil. Now that I have the 221Q starting up properly, it seems to run just fine with that oil at a roughly 1:66 oil-gas ratio.
This message was modified Nov 5, 2010 by billin
kellyinkc

Reply #7   Nov 5, 2010 6:00 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I would run it up and make sure everything works properly. Any high end 2 stroke synthetic or dino oil will have fuel stabilizer (if that's your concern) built into it. You could also add Stabile, Seafoam or other fuel stabilizer just as an added measure of fuel life.

I do run StaBil in all my OPE it really helps. After reading the manual it recommends NMMA TCW III certified oil whatever that means.....

That may be a good idea put a splash of gas in and fire it up.
It came with a Briggs manual as well it gives me bore and stroke but what is the horespower?

The neighbors will be jealous come snow storms.
aa335

Reply #8   Nov 6, 2010 11:21 am
I'm jealous. Might have to pick one up myself.
kellyinkc

Reply #9   Nov 6, 2010 8:00 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm jealous. Might have to pick one up myself.

Go get one before they are gone. I have been playing with it, that Quick Shoot is just cool! I'll use the Toro oil mix that came with it first then decide what to use later. I may just use the Toro brand while it is under warranty just to be safe. One interesting thing is there is no throttle control. I presume it runs WOT?
aa335

Reply #10   Nov 6, 2010 8:37 pm
The throttle is preset and but there are no user controls. Even my lawn mower is the same. I don't miss it.

Probably will make my purchase soon.
Bill_H

Reply #11   Nov 6, 2010 9:00 pm
Congrats on the new toy. I had one similar a few years ago, loved it. Take a few minutes to verify all the nuts and screws are tight, and everything is well lubed. You'll be amazed at how well that throws slush when most two stage units are dropping ice logs. Also the rubber blades are great for clearing decks and wooden walkways. One hint: if you have drifts or a big EOD pile, instead of killing yourself trying to push into them, it's often faster to just clear up to them. Then take a shovel and knock them down into the cleared area. It seems like more work but it often takes less time and is a lot easier than trying to push through the deep stuff.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
snowmachine

Reply #12   Nov 7, 2010 12:55 pm
billin wrote:
Seconded - do not wait to fill it with oil+gas and try it out. I also recently got a 221Q and had trouble starting it up initially - you can read about it here:
http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/48798-0-1.html

I would not have been happy if I'd had that experience with a foot of snow waiting for me on the driveway.

Personally, I used the Amsoil Saber Outboard synthetic oil which was recommended as a good, low-smoke TCW3 oil. Now that I have the 221Q starting up properly, it seems to run just fine with that oil at a roughly 1:66 oil-gas ratio.

+1 on the Amsoil. I use it in everything.
kellyinkc

Reply #13   Nov 9, 2010 6:35 am
Bill_H wrote:
Congrats on the new toy. I had one similar a few years ago, loved it. Take a few minutes to verify all the nuts and screws are tight, and everything is well lubed. You'll be amazed at how well that throws slush when most two stage units are dropping ice logs. Also the rubber blades are great for clearing decks and wooden walkways. One hint: if you have drifts or a big EOD pile, instead of killing yourself trying to push into them, it's often faster to just clear up to them. Then take a shovel and knock them down into the cleared area. It seems like more work but it often takes less time and is a lot easier than trying to push through the deep stuff.

Thats a great idea. I''l do that later this week. One thing that made me laugh what I read in the manual. " Do not use on roof". LOLOLOL
Shryp

Reply #14   Nov 9, 2010 9:14 am
kellyinkc wrote:
Thats a great idea. I''l do that later this week. One thing that made me laugh what I read in the manual. " Do not use on roof". LOLOLOL

Actually, a lot of places get so much snow they have to clear their roof off before it collapses.
aa335

Reply #15   Nov 9, 2010 10:12 am
kellyinkc wrote:

Just normal corporate America CYA disclaimers and warnings, it's going to continue as long as people continue to hold others accountable for their stupidity.
Replies: 6 - 15 of 29Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42