Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Two Stage Snow thrower L-Style (Steering Control Problem)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Yooperdave

MTD Two Stage Snow thrower L-Style (Steering Control Problem)
Original Message   Nov 2, 2010 11:19 am
MTD keep giving me the run around so Ill see if anyone out there can help me.

Model#31AE5KLF795

There is no history of repair works. I replaced headlight and socket parts #725-1649 & 725-1629 in fall of 2009 ordered part thru your website.
I recently replaced both belts which were parts #754-04088 & 754-04050
I do all maitenence on after warrenty ends. My last snowblower lasted 10yrs this will last longer.

The question is about the wheel steering control thats on the thrower.
The problem I am having is it doesnt seem to do its work as I hold down one of the steering control it still goes straight.
When I took the cover off #32 shaft retainer everything there seems to be in place I squeez the steering control and the #18 Doggm Assembly pulls back the springs work great put it back togetheras it clicks into the gear on the #42 drive shaft assembly.
Tell me if this sounds right.
when machine is not on when I go move it I have to squeeze the steering control in order to unlock the Dogg assembly I can move it I have to squeeze both in order to move if one is squeezed it still will not move remains locked unless I hold both.
When I start it up It moves fine without squeezing it.
when I go squeeze one of them it still goes straight.

Ive replaced both belts I am familier with this machine in every corner of it.what do you think it may be the problem. Model#31AE5KLF795

Ive replaced both belts I am familier with this machine in every corner of it.what do you think it may be the problem.

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
trouts2

Re: MTD Two Stage Snow thrower L-Style (Steering Control Problem)
Reply #1   Nov 2, 2010 2:32 pm

With the motor off and the drive clutch and triggers disengaged you should be able to move it around easily.

With the motor off and pressing the drive clutch it should be very hard to move around and the tires scrape or drag instead of roll.

With the motor off and pressing the drive clutch and one trigger it should be hard to move and probably pivot a little to the non-engaged trigger side because that side has traction.

With the motor off and pressing the drive clutch and both triggers it should be easy to move straight or turn easily to either side.

With the engine on, the drive clutch engaged it should go straight.

With the engine on, the drive clutch engaged and one trigger pressed it should turn to the trigger side.

With the engine on, the drive clutch engaged and both triggers pressed it should not move forward.

Your problems acts two problems. 

1. Like the friction disk is engaging when it should not be engaged.  When the drive clutch is not engaged the friction disk should not touch the drive plate. 

2. Assembly 42, subassembly 42J should be active and causing the wheel to turn with the axle when the clutch is engaged.  When a trigger is pressed the 42J for that trigger should disengage that wheel from the axle.  That will cause the machine to drive into the trigger side.  Even if it does not “drive” into that side you should be able to turn it into that side very easily because that wheel should be freewheeling with the trigger press.  If these things do not happen then suspect 42J.  The other related parts around there I think are pinned or keyed so checked those are ok (10, 19)

Flip it on it’s bucket, take off the bottom cover and see if the friction disk is touching the drive plate.  You could also watch what’s happening in there when you hold down (tape) a trigger.  Try rotating the wheels when the clutch is engaged and not engaged.  Do the same thing with a trigger engaged and not engaged.   Look at what’s happening in there and try moving the wheels. 

Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42