Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 26 - 35 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #26   Nov 1, 2010 9:30 am
$375 for a new HS520AS?  Must be a back of the truck special or Robin 'hood' relocation program.   Say it isn't so.
alty

Reply #27   Nov 1, 2010 9:37 am
Just came back from Home Depot - $749   and they had 4 in stock.  Sounds like you got a great deal for the Honda.
chefwong

Reply #28   Nov 1, 2010 10:10 am
It was actually listed on CL. I go out to meet the guy and it turns out the address he gave me was a *booth* in some megamall flea market. It was not BNIB but inspections show brand new (scraper and augers were new/untouched). The only thing that threw me off during inspection was that it was 520KAS - with a K in it. A quick google on my phone while I was there did show a KAS model # so it seemed legit.
aa335

Reply #29   Nov 1, 2010 10:27 am
Nice deal.  Did you ever wonder how he can sell you for that cheap?
chefwong

Reply #30   Nov 1, 2010 11:04 am
The place of business was a large flea market setup with booths, indoors and outdoors. I assume these guys get ~deals~ from various sources.... There was a Yamaha track model on CL for cheap, but I believed it has some mechanical issues and it was on tracks... Same goes for HS50 or HS80's.... I think the OPE OCD has hit me, cause I find myself on CL looking for deals....on a 2 stager.
aa335

Reply #31   Nov 1, 2010 1:24 pm
chefwong wrote:
 I think the OPE OCD has hit me, cause I find myself on CL looking for deals....on a 2 stager.

I think you mis-diagnosed yourself, it's not OCD, but an addiction.  :)  Big difference.

You came to the right place. Happiness loves company. 

The HS928 is where its at.  Buy once, cry once.  Ancient Chinese proverb.
FrankMA

Reply #32   Nov 1, 2010 2:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
I think you mis-diagnosed yourself, it's not OCD, but an addiction.  :)  Big difference.

You came to the right place. Happiness loves company. 

The HS928 is where its at.  Buy once, cry once.  Ancient Chinese proverb.

If you really want to drive yourself crazy, do what I did (twice). Buy your snow blower during the warm weather months so you can agonize all spring, summer and fall waiting for snow. I bought my HS624WA at a yard sale in May of 2000 and had to wait about 6 months before I could use it. Just this past March, I bought my new to me HS928TA and have been waiting ever since to use my new toy. Talk about a glutton for punishment!
This message was modified Nov 1, 2010 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
chefwong

Reply #33   Nov 1, 2010 2:57 pm
On the single stages, I could not fathom buying one used unless it was in great condition and $150 or less. That is just moreso the mechanics of them, and belt drive and paddles costs $$$, which bring the net costs to ??? at the end of day. For example, the honda manual states that the paddles should be replaced when it measures 5/8". Brand new, it measures 3/4" inch. Granted I have not had long term experience owning a single stage and have one prior (just not long term), I cannot benchmark the life you get out of these things. Part of it will depends on operator usage I suppose and technique... 2 Stages I am open to exploring used as the mechanics are them from the mait. standpoint is either going to be shearpins, oil and maybe a carb rebuilt/new skid shoes. So as long as mechanically and bodily *rust free, chip free* the 2 stages are good, I'm kewl with that.... What comes 1st. Should I start planning how much concrete blocks and bricks I will need ? Or what stones I should use instead of bricks ;-) Don't roll you eyes - if I have to have a shed, aesthetics counts .
aa335

Reply #34   Nov 1, 2010 3:41 pm
There was a fellar that came in passing by a month ago, asking all sorts of question, creme de la creme blah blah, ended up with bottom of the barrel Lada de Ariens.  I hope we're not seeing second coming of that anytime soon.

Anyways, how long are you planning to stay at your current house again? 
alty

Reply #35   Nov 1, 2010 3:54 pm
"  For example, the honda manual states that the paddles should be replaced when it measures 5/8". Brand new, it measures 3/4" inch. "

Chefwong - you're talking me into the Toro instead of the Honda.  1/8 inch seems like a pretty small wear factor.

Replies: 26 - 35 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42