Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST1032 or Simplicity 1080?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dvdkea

Ariens ST1032 or Simplicity 1080?
Original Message   Oct 31, 2010 4:12 pm
I now have 2 snowblowers and one needs to go. I am trying to get some input on what one to keep.

The first one is a Ariens ST1032, 10 HP Techmeseh in great condition, electric start, cast iron gear case.

The second on is a Simplicity 1080. 10 HP Techemseh also in great condition, electric start, cast iron gear case.

Both have a 32 inch clearing path.

Over all condition and age is about the same, whhat one is the better snowblower?

Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
trouts2

Re: Ariens ST1032 or Simplicity 1080?
Reply #9   Nov 1, 2010 8:40 am

Tough to tell the age of the Ariens.  If it has a short chute with 9 inches from the base toothed ring to the hood nut then it’s probably and early to mid 80’s.  If it’s about 12 inches then it’s probably a mid to late 80’s machine.  

If it’s got a rounded bull nose gearbox then it could be the early version.  If it’s got a somewhat rectangle shaped gearbox that is stoodup on end then it’s probably mid to later 80’s. 

The Simplicity seems to be a generation newer with the given the chute style and remote control and in the 90’s, possibly 91-98.

Overall age is not so important as condition.  The Ariens has differential.  The Simplicity has pin locking.  Both are great machines.  The Simplicity will probably toss a bit further than the Ariens.  The Ariens probably a little easier to handle.   I have a Simplicity 870E and it’s ok but a little sloppy in the tractor section. 

I’d flip up both machine and check out the internals.  Move the wheels and see how much slop there is in there.  Shake the internal shafts and parts to check the slop and wear. 

The engine compression would be one of the big concerns.  Do a leak-down test on both if you have a tester ($30 and worth the cost).  Check for rust in the Briggs tank.  It probably does not have a line filter. 

Replies: 9 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42