Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 824XL - drive problem

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
biffr1

Toro 824XL - drive problem
Original Message   Oct 31, 2010 9:08 pm
I have a Toro 824XL Power Throw, 8 hp tecumseh, 5 forward & 2 reverse speeds,  it runs fine , but when I put it in 1st gear and depress the drive handle it goes backwards, very slowly, the same thing occurs in 2nd & 3rd gear. It will start to go forward when in 4th & 5th gear, reverse 1 & 2 seem to work fine ?? Any sugestions, could it be the drive belt? 

Thanks Biffr1

Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Toro 824XL - drive problem
Reply #1   Nov 1, 2010 7:48 am
    It's acting like your drive linkage is messed up so not a belt.

Rather than go through adjustment procedures the simplest fastest thing might be to flip the machine up onto it's bucket.  Put down some cloth to protect the bucket.  Turn the gas shutoff off.

Undo the screws that hold on the bottom cover and take a look.  You don't have to be a motor head to understand what's going on in there.  This explination may not make sense as you read it but when you look in there it will be very apparent what's going on.

The engine drives a belt which eventually turns a metal drive plate in the tractor section. 

When you press the drive clutch the friction disk (the one with the rubber) in there meets the drive plate and that gets the wheels turning.  

The shifter determines if you go forward or reverse and how fast.  It does that by sliding the friction disk left and right across the drive plate.  You go in reverse if the friction disk is on one side of center of the drive plate.  It goes forward if on the other side.  How fast is determined by how far away the friction disk is from the center. 

Shift the shifter at the dash and watch how the frictin disk moves.  What you should see in a properly set machine is the friction disk in first forward being (at the shift lever)close to the center of the frictin disk.  Shift to second forward and it should move the disk a short distance further away from the center.  Shift to fifth forward and the friction disk should move way over to the edge of the drive plate.  Shift to first reverse and the friction disk should move to just beyond the center of the other side of the drive plate.  Shift to second reverse and it will move a bit more further out. 

What I described probably is not happening on your machine but it's what you should see.  You can look at the linkage mechanism which will be simple.   Look at the things that move when you move the shifter at the dash.  It's only a few parts so something in there is probably disconnected. 

The 824XL is a marketing name and covers many machines which have different components.  Your specific machine is identified by a sticker at the back base of your machine.  You can get that number and go to the Toro site and get manuals for your machine.   The XL models are fairly new so owners, parts and service manuals will probably be available to download.  If you need parts you can get part number and also get the procedure to set the linkage properly.  When you find your problem you can reset the speeds to what you want by changing where the frictin disk lands when the shifter is at first forward.  The other speeds will be relative to that.  You'll understand that when you look in there.

FrankMA

Reply #2   Nov 1, 2010 9:18 am
What a great explanation of how the friction disc system operates! Thanks trouts2.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
biffr1

Reply #3   Dec 7, 2010 4:52 pm
Trouts....I just wanted to get back to you and let you know that your diagnosis was spot on. The linkage on my machine needed to be adjusted, just as you reccomended. Once I took it apart and followed the shift sequence it all came togeher. Just like your sugested, the drive wheel was not contacting the friction disc at the right point. Once it was adjusted the 5 forward gears all worked fine . I also changed out the belts while it was apart, just in case. Thanks again for your help.

Biffr1

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by biffr1
trouts2

Reply #4   Dec 7, 2010 9:26 pm
biffr1, Glad to hear it worked out. The 824XL's were a great model.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42