Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking to buy a leaf blower, Echo, or Husqvarna?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drifter

Looking to buy a leaf blower, Echo, or Husqvarna?
Original Message   Oct 30, 2010 3:41 pm
Guys, I'm going to buy a leaf-blower, probably as early as tomorrow. I came across two "used" back-pack blower; one is the Huqvarna, 155BT, 48cc's,and the other is an Echo PB-651H / 63,3 cc's, with one year left on the warranty.

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Echo_PB_651H.html

http://www.northwestpowertools.com/lawnandgarden/blowers/155bt.htm

Any thoughts?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
starwarrior

Re: Looking to buy a leaf blower, Echo, or Husqvarna?
Reply #1   Oct 31, 2010 5:40 am
Hi Drifter,

I can't say too mych about Husqvarna since I don't own one but I can comment on the quality of the Echo 2 cycle engine.

I purchased my  Echo Power Blower Model Type 1E PB-46HT about 15 years ago and I am still using it today. They don't offer this particular model any longer but have the same features available on many others. As with all manufactures the higher end you go the more bells and whistles you have to play with. It's the options that you should have included and  can't add them on after the fact that seperates them. Woulda, shoulda, coulda ?  

The Echo product starts on the second pull every time I use it and for 15 years now has been running like a champ. Other than a couple of spark plugs and air cleaners over the years I have done absolutely nothing to maintain it. I have always heard good things about Echo engines and they are top of the line in my view. Evidently Echo has spent some engineering time on their 2 cycle engine design.

A couple of features you may want to keep in mind about the patricular unit I purchased  that I only realized after the fact:

My biggest complaint is that the unit can't be started once it is on your back because the pull start cord is not located in a place where it could be reached or pulled. Although it never stalled on me once you shut the unit down you have to take it off your back to restart it. I also purchased the optional grip handle, trigger control that eliminated the separate power arm by relocating the power controls to the blower pipe. It was a necessary option that I had to purchase after the fact since the egernomics of holding the blower pipe without a grip handle was rediculous. Not only did most of the other products on the market include a grip handle but it became very uncomfortable real fast. Another option was the vacuum chute and bag that was suppose to convert the unit into a power vacuum but never seemed to work very well.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Oct 31, 2010 by starwarrior
drifter

Reply #2   Oct 31, 2010 12:38 pm
Thank you StarWarrior,

I've decided to go with the Echo unit.  I'm not sure that there are any accessories included, but I'm off to visit the vendor shortly, to get a first-hand look. The fact that this unit is still under warranty provides some reassurance, and the vendor has stated that the unit is in top shape, and starts easily. His unit was purchased in 2006, and came with a five year warranty. He used it only two seasons. He told me his previous home had a large lot with quite a few trees, and that he's now living in a new housing project, with no trees.

There are at least two local dealers where I can get service if need be, and I see quite a few professionals using these Echo products (golf courses, municipalities, landscape-maintenance crews). It's probably overkill for my place, and I'll probably only need to use it one or two days a year, but it'll certainly save me a lot of work. My property is surrounded by quite a few very large and mature trees, and it can be a pain trying to rake along hedge-rows and between clusters of bushes. I typically re-cycle 16-18 very large leaf bags per year..
This message was modified Oct 31, 2010 by drifter
drifter

Reply #3   Oct 31, 2010 6:25 pm
Done deal The unit looks brand new, starts very easily, and I was VERY surprised at how quiet it was, for such a big machine (63.3 c.c.'s) The vendor also provided me with the original receipt and users' manual.(he paid $689.93 in 2006, I got it for $300.) This thing also moves some serious air, and despite it's large capacity, is quite easy to mount and carry. I'm a happy camper.
This message was modified Oct 31, 2010 by drifter
MacGarage

Reply #4   Nov 1, 2010 10:00 am
I have the PB413H unit. This is my third year with it and it has been flawless. I have done the tune-up items and it starts on the first pull. I use it for leaves and after I cut the grass. For $44, I am seriously looking at getting the gutter cleaning kit although I have some second story gutters (I have a pressure washer wand for those but hate doing it in the fall when the water and leaves that fall on you are a little cold). The Echo should do the job for a good while for you.
aa335

Reply #5   Nov 1, 2010 10:28 am
drifter wrote:
Done deal The unit looks brand new, starts very easily, and I was VERY surprised at how quiet it was, for such a big machine (63.3 c.c.'s) The vendor also provided me with the original receipt and users' manual.(he paid $689.93 in 2006, I got it for $300.) This thing also moves some serious air, and despite it's large capacity, is quite easy to mount and carry. I'm a happy camper.

Did you just win the lottery or something?

If you got any money left over, I'd like to put in my list for a Ford F250 Diesel.  :)
drifter

Reply #6   Nov 1, 2010 9:15 pm
MacGarage wrote:
I have the PB413H unit. This is my third year with it and it has been flawless. I have done the tune-up items and it starts on the first pull. I use it for leaves and after I cut the grass. For $44, I am seriously looking at getting the gutter cleaning kit although I have some second story gutters (I have a pressure washer wand for those but hate doing it in the fall when the water and leaves that fall on you are a little cold). The Echo should do the job for a good while for you.

Thanks MacGarage,

You've just given me a GREAT idea. I'll check out that "gutter" accessory. I can probably make it myself. I was into designing dust-collection systems for woodworking shops, so I'm fairly fluent in things requiring air-flow / velocity, etc
drifter

Reply #7   Nov 1, 2010 9:34 pm
aa335 wrote:
Did you just win the lottery or something?

If you got any money left over, I'd like to put in my list for a Ford F250 Diesel.  :)

Geesh, I'd kill to own one of those myself.   Or,,,,, a Toyota Tundra.

One more toy to buy, and I'll stay quiet for a while,,,,, I promise.  I want a D-handle, long-shaft weed-whacker, probably an Echo or Shindaiwa. I've got a Honda brush-trimmer (bicycle-handlebars), but I find the shaft too short for some of the sloped areas I have to cut. Hopefully, that'll be it for a while.

I picked up a set of aluminum ramps today, for loading the snow-blower onto my trailer. They're 7' ramps, and they fold for easy storage. Capacity is 1400 lbs. The guy that sold me the snow-blower, had a set of ramps like that, and we loaded that lil' Honda 1132 onto the back of a GMC turbo-diesel pick-up truck, in no time flat. It was fun to see that Honda climb the ramps.I bought the ramps brand new at Canadian Tire, for $99.00. They're 40% off this week. I may change my mind on those however, since I'm putting a hitch on my car later this week, or next. That dealer says he can modify my existing tail-gate into a ramped tail-gate. I'll see what he has to offer.
This message was modified Nov 1, 2010 by drifter
aa335

Reply #8   Nov 1, 2010 11:25 pm
drifter wrote:
I picked up a set of aluminum ramps today, for loading the snow-blower onto my trailer. They're 7' ramps, and they fold for easy storage. Capacity is 1400 lbs. The guy that sold me the snow-blower, had a set of ramps like that, and we loaded that lil' Honda 1132 onto the back of a GMC turbo-diesel pick-up truck, in no time flat. It was fun to see that Honda climb the ramps.I bought the ramps brand new at Canadian Tire, for $99.00. They're 40% off this week. I may change my mind on those however, since I'm putting a hitch on my car later this week, or next. That dealer says he can modify my existing tail-gate into a ramped tail-gate. I'll see what he has to offer.

Exactly the kind of set up I'd like to get.  Heavy duty diesel truck with a ramp for my HS1132 with tracks to crawl up on.  Go anywhere during a blizzard, even to the mother in law's house to clear her driveway.  Well, anywhere but that.  :)
MacGarage

Reply #9   Nov 2, 2010 4:05 pm
I picked up the rain gutter kit from Echo. It was $47 after tax. It took about five minutes to put together.

It works great. I have two outbuildings and a first floor kitchen with gutters. It probably took ten minutes, maybe fifteen max to blow them all out. I probably will try and see what I can do about making it reach the second story gutters. Much better than a pressure washer this time of year!
drifter

Reply #10   Nov 8, 2010 6:04 pm
Good idea. I hadn't thought about the gutter cleaning attachment. I'm driving right by an Echo dealer tomorrow, on my way to get a new trailer-hitch installed on my car. I'll check out the Echo accessories while I'm there,

BTW, the leaf-blower performs extremely well. Plenty of power, not too heavy, and much quieter than I expected. I think I got very lucky with this buy.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 10View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42