Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 18 - 27 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #18   Oct 29, 2010 9:47 am
chefwong wrote:
This is just a hypothetical question should I consider looking at a 2 stage ;-)
You should always consider looking at a 2-stage, it doesn't cost any money until you actually buy.      That's a fact and you can put that hypothesis to rest. 

I would recommend you look at the current 20-24" compact 2 stage snowblowers.  They are more effective for EOD piles than single stage.  A lot of it also depend on technique.  My neighbor with his single stage and  shovel is quite good at taking apart one foot piles.  If it's over 2 feet, I'm coming over to help him and another neighbor, with my 2 stage of course.  Do you have the option to make that arrangement with the neighbors?

I'm not sure how much you want to tackle on taking care of older models for the next two years.  You might be lucky and find a used one that is in perfect condition.  But buying new and selling it when you don't need it may be a smarter choice.  At least new, everything should be working and you have a manufacturer's warranty during that 2 year period.

Remember that convenience and peace of mind costs money.  Factor that in also.  There are dollars and cents but also the fuzzy factors too.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #19   Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm
I'm sure any 2 stage will be considerably more effective when clearing the EOD. The local borg has a 22" Compact Machine and realistically, that machine is too big already for storage. So if I end up figuring out how to make room and fit a 2 stager, I'd probably just pull the gun on a 24-26" machine with at least 300+CC's on it. I don't have OCD OPE needs, but maybe it will turn out where I'll want a bigger and better machine...but I'd rather just get it right the 1st time around if I go the 2 stage route.
aa335

Reply #20   Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm
chefwong wrote:
. I don't have OCD OPE needs, but maybe it will turn out where I'll want a bigger and better machine...but I'd rather just get it right the 1st time around if I go the 2 stage route.

The key word is bigger and better.    Don't you want something BIG and GUTSY that you can grow into?  Not something small and weakly that you will quickly outgrow?

Space constraints?    Not in my book.  For every problem, there's an opportunity.

Anyways, good luck with your shopping.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by aa335
FrankMA

Reply #21   Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm
chefwong: Sounds like you really want a 2 stage but don't have a spot to store it - at least you think you don't.... Why not stash it under a good quality cover somewhere in your yard that's secluded or under a deck or stairway? Is this an option? What about a small shed? I picked up a nice 8' x 8' shed for my pool stuff for about $ 300.00. It's not the top of the line but it serves its purpose, looks decent and provides an adequate amount of dry storage. Just a thought...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #22   Oct 29, 2010 5:12 pm
Great suggestion FrankMA.  An shed gives you more room to acquire other pieces of OPE and an extra snowblower or two that the wife doesn't see.  :)

See, a problem just turned into opportunities.
aa335

Reply #23   Oct 30, 2010 8:23 am
The practical and sensible side of me just thought if you you can put up with your current status quo and make your snowblower upgrade decision when you move to a new house? A shed and a new snowblower now costs money that you can put towards better machine 2 years later. Just throwing it out there.
chefwong

Reply #24   Oct 31, 2010 8:13 pm
I ended up getting a HS520AS - or on my model, it's a 520KAS (I've always known it as AS for the electric start). It was $375 Brand New and around $20 additional in tolls, and another $20 in gas Seemed like a OK deal.... Plenty of the ~HS621~ but my issue was between the ages of the machine, the driving out to possibly buy them/inspect them with unknown variables (gas and tools a minimum of $20+) assuming throwing at least a minimum of $100 into it for new paddles & drive belt, it was hard to spend the money on a ~questionable~ used machine regardless if she started on the 1st pull.. I get the GC vs GX debate. I did see any 221's on CL There were plenty of 3650's and the asking price on average based on ~my region~ was $400-$500. Had I gone the Toro route, it would have been the 221QE. Their Power Chute on the large 2 stages seems SLICK as hell . If I went with 2 Stage, I would have easily had looked at either Ariens 26-30 Deluxe/Platinum Line or even a HS 928. Between that and a shed of any variant, it was not worth the extra money to spend on something that may not even be a good fit when we move.. I've got all the grease points lubed up, and sprayed down the chute, and interior of the Auger with weatherpruf. Just to keep things as in *sellable* condition as much as possible, I wrapped the bottom handlebar/lift handle that right with some electrical tape any may even go sofar as to put some closed cell pipe foam on it... The Toro's if I recall actually have small metal wrapped skid edges if you want to call it that, to at least keep both sides of the Auger Housings Off the ground. The Honda's are just a straight Edge... I MAY wrap the edges with Gaffers Tape. I Can't think of a better way if just keeping the bottom edges as ~clean~ as possible minimizing the inevitable scrape that will occur. I guess I could just leave as is, and then just sand/level and paint it black when I am ready to sell....
FrankMA

Reply #25   Oct 31, 2010 8:26 pm
chefwong wrote:
I ended up getting a HS520AS - or on my model, it's a 520KAS (I've always known it as AS for the electric start). It was $375 Brand New and around $20 additional in tolls, and another $20 in gas Seemed like a OK deal....

$375.00 Brand New??? These are going for $ 700.00 - $ 750.00 brand new where I live. I just picked up a used HS520A in good condition for $ 250.00 about 1 1/2 months ago. If you got a brand new one for $ 375.00 you did real good.

This message was modified Oct 31, 2010 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #26   Nov 1, 2010 9:30 am
$375 for a new HS520AS?  Must be a back of the truck special or Robin 'hood' relocation program.   Say it isn't so.
alty

Reply #27   Nov 1, 2010 9:37 am
Just came back from Home Depot - $749   and they had 4 in stock.  Sounds like you got a great deal for the Honda.
Replies: 18 - 27 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42