Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 10 - 19 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
slinger

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #10   Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm
Goes to show that there's more to snowblower performance than just a big motor.
aa335

Reply #11   Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm
Chefwong,

I assuming you're asking about how the current HS520 compares to the older HS621.  I had both at one time so I can tell you my observations.  The newer HS520 is lighter and more nimble, too nose heavy for my taste, just a little forward tip and the wheels easily comes off the ground.  Seems like all the weight is on the paddles.  I don't like this because the snowblower wander and bounce around a lot when the rear wheels are not on the ground.  The HS520 does have more efficient flat belt for power transfer, lighter auger/paddle assembly, and throws snow further, not by a lot though, 5 feet or so. 

However, when dealing with wet heavy snow or slush, the HS621 is has more torque and the stiffer and flat center paddle will push that stuff out of the chute better than the HS520.  The HS520 will stall when pushed too hard, it's much harder to do that with the HS621.

In fact, I had my Honda HS621 run against the neighbor's Toro 221 in the thick heavy wet snow and he constantly ease up to let the rpm build back up, he constantly have to forward, stop, forward, stop.  I just push the HS621 steadily at about 1 inch per second and adjust the speed if the engine tone drops.   Pretty much like what this guy does:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_O6g_uHAA4&feature=related

Besides that test, the Toro 221 performs better than the HS621 in all other aspects. 

I will still keep my 10 year old HS621 forever though until I can buy a new one in the US.  I'm in the process of repainting it to make it look new again.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #12   Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm
Thx all for the feedback...While the 2 stage is probably the Correct Machine given the *ultimate application* - plowing myself out after getting plowed in (they only plow to the right ). The only downside is footprint. The single stage I can store when the season is over. With a 2 stage, even a smaller monster engine 24-26" machine, it's too big of a machine for me to store at this time. That unfortunately is the compromise that I will suffer, and thus the single stage takes precendence.
aa335

Reply #13   Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm
No problems.  Remember we're here to help if you're itching to spend money.  :)

As far as hiding it from your wife, well, that's your problem.  :)
chefwong

Reply #14   Oct 27, 2010 6:54 pm
Heh. We all have moooooor power envy at times ;-)
FrankMA

Reply #15   Oct 27, 2010 7:33 pm
aa335 wrote:

As far as hiding it from your wife, well, that's your problem.  :)

"New? No that's not new honey, we've had that for years."

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #16   Oct 27, 2010 7:36 pm
FrankMA wrote:
"New? No that's not new honey, we've had that for years."

"Sure looks shiny and clean"

"I just detailed and waxed it"

"It looks brand new"

"I changed the lightbulb in the garage"

"Why is it blue?  I thought you had a red one"

"I had it painted.  Do you like that blue paint?  I think it goes well with the white and black Yamaha sticker."

"It looks bigger, a lot bigger!"

"I just moved closer to your truck."

"It looks wider."

"I turned it a bit to the left."

"It now has tracks"

"You sure don't miss a thing.  It came with tracks, I just got around to putting it on.  Tracks are in vogue this year.  Wheels are so passe"

This message was modified Oct 28, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #17   Oct 29, 2010 9:23 am
I've been hemming and hawing at this. Anything that blows the snow is sure better than shoveling... Now alot of Toro's 221 or 421 for the matter on Clist. I could snag a Honda 4 Cycle for around half the price if I ended up buying a BNIB 221QE. The SB is a short term item. Meaning, we do plan to move in around 2 years. Dare I ask, are the older Ariens units better in some ways than the current stash of Ariens. There are plenty of Ariens on CL......of all makes and models. Even saw this 30" monster Simplicity. If I had to look at 2 stages, I think the Toro Powerchute is pretty bada$$ though.. This is just a hypothetical question should I consider looking at a 2 stage ;-)
aa335

Reply #18   Oct 29, 2010 9:47 am
chefwong wrote:
This is just a hypothetical question should I consider looking at a 2 stage ;-)
You should always consider looking at a 2-stage, it doesn't cost any money until you actually buy.      That's a fact and you can put that hypothesis to rest. 

I would recommend you look at the current 20-24" compact 2 stage snowblowers.  They are more effective for EOD piles than single stage.  A lot of it also depend on technique.  My neighbor with his single stage and  shovel is quite good at taking apart one foot piles.  If it's over 2 feet, I'm coming over to help him and another neighbor, with my 2 stage of course.  Do you have the option to make that arrangement with the neighbors?

I'm not sure how much you want to tackle on taking care of older models for the next two years.  You might be lucky and find a used one that is in perfect condition.  But buying new and selling it when you don't need it may be a smarter choice.  At least new, everything should be working and you have a manufacturer's warranty during that 2 year period.

Remember that convenience and peace of mind costs money.  Factor that in also.  There are dollars and cents but also the fuzzy factors too.
This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #19   Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm
I'm sure any 2 stage will be considerably more effective when clearing the EOD. The local borg has a 22" Compact Machine and realistically, that machine is too big already for storage. So if I end up figuring out how to make room and fit a 2 stager, I'd probably just pull the gun on a 24-26" machine with at least 300+CC's on it. I don't have OCD OPE needs, but maybe it will turn out where I'll want a bigger and better machine...but I'd rather just get it right the 1st time around if I go the 2 stage route.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42