Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 4 - 13 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #4   Oct 27, 2010 10:56 am
chefwong wrote:
 I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...

I think how well the single snowblower bite into EOD depends on how stiff the rubber paddles as much as the horsepower.  Your current HS520 has a stiff center paddle but it is a little down on power, IMHO.  It throws snows well as long as you don't over feed it and slow down the auger too much.

There's really no magic to EOD.  You need stiff metal augers moving at slower rotations of the 2 stage snowblower to break apart that dense snow.  Open helical augers are good at this without clogging.  Rubber paddles can only do so much.  You can have a lot of hp on a single stage but that thing will just bounce and dance around violently.  Been there, done it.  Best thing to do is to soften up the snow with a shovel, or pony up the cash for a 24" to 26" 2-stage with the largest engine available for that class, and the most aggressive serrated auger.

I don't want to disappoint you, but single stage are good on many aspects but EOD with packed snow or higher than the bucket is always a challenge.  The best you can do is keep ahead of the game by going out snowblowing more often while the snow is fresh and uncompacted.
chefwong

Reply #5   Oct 27, 2010 11:01 am
I hear ya....I was looking/considering the 2 stage due to EOD but the issue is space constaints. If it was not for that, i would have gone 2 stage in a heartbeat.
aa335

Reply #6   Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am
chefwong wrote:
I hear ya....I was looking/considering the 2 stage due to EOD but the issue is space constaints. If it was not for that, i would have gone 2 stage in a heartbeat.

Come to think of it, Toro attempted to tap into this market with the Snow Commander a few years ago, designing and producing a bad a** single stage snowblower.  You should see their rubber auger.  Impressive beefy hefty frame.  It was costly, expensive, and lost the maneuverability of a single stage.  It's hard to sell a $900 single stage 125 pound snowblower.

Superbuick can tell you about it.  He has actual hands on experience with it late last winter.
chefwong

Reply #7   Oct 27, 2010 1:00 pm
AA - read you past threads. Can't seem to figure out based on date but do you feel the *newer - later revisions* of the 520AS has comparable *uumph* compared to the 610... The current routine is to keep ontop whenever the plow comes around and then follow up right him as oftentimes, what get's plowed is the hardened snow or between that and the liquified stuff that just turns into Ice Bricks if you don't deal with it ....and overnight with no activity.
superbuick

Reply #8   Oct 27, 2010 1:38 pm
The Honda HS520 does not compare to the Honda HS621 or the Toro 221 at all in my book.  Both the 621 and the 221 have considerable power advantages over the 520, which uses a low-end, honda in name only GC series 4 stroke.  The 221's 2 cycle is 141ccs and known within the commercial lawn mowing industry to be the most powerful walk behind mower engine made (known as the lawn boy duraforce in those circles) and the HS621 uses a commercial grade true honda GX series motor.

I find the impeller design to be a little better on the Toro as well, but I wouldn't turn down a Honda HS621 were one to come my way.

I had a Toro Snow Commander last year (which also uses the 141cc R*Tek 2 stroke) and while it had plenty of power and was big, I found it a bit awkward to use when compared to the 221.  It didn't seem to offer any advantage other than 2 inches more width (who cares) and if anything was slightly less powerful-seeming than the 221 because it had to turn an extra paddle (3 as opposed to 2 on the 221).

The briggs model single stage (seems to be everyone other than toro and honda have bought and badge engineered this model for 2010/2011) looks promising, especially in the auger design, but I can't see that motor being more powerful than the R*Tek, especially when the 8.75 "gross torque" OHV briggs mower engines can't hold a candle to the Duraforce (I would know, I have both).

As far as the squall, no amount of power will help that thing until it gets a better auger design.  The auger like it has is inefficient and prone to clogging - in fact that design is primarily responsible for single stage snowblowers getting a bad name.
This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by superbuick
Shryp

Reply #9   Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm
I had an MTD single stage with an auger that looks the same as the Squall 2100 I saw some pictures of and that thing clogged constantly.

On the other hand, it was free and was better than shoveling.

When I switched to my 1985 Toro 3521 2 stage blower last year the difference was like night and day.  I had 1 clog all year and that was due to
a loose auger belt.  In fact it was loose enough that it clogged because the impeller completely stopped.
slinger

Reply #10   Oct 27, 2010 2:04 pm
Goes to show that there's more to snowblower performance than just a big motor.
aa335

Reply #11   Oct 27, 2010 2:05 pm
Chefwong,

I assuming you're asking about how the current HS520 compares to the older HS621.  I had both at one time so I can tell you my observations.  The newer HS520 is lighter and more nimble, too nose heavy for my taste, just a little forward tip and the wheels easily comes off the ground.  Seems like all the weight is on the paddles.  I don't like this because the snowblower wander and bounce around a lot when the rear wheels are not on the ground.  The HS520 does have more efficient flat belt for power transfer, lighter auger/paddle assembly, and throws snow further, not by a lot though, 5 feet or so. 

However, when dealing with wet heavy snow or slush, the HS621 is has more torque and the stiffer and flat center paddle will push that stuff out of the chute better than the HS520.  The HS520 will stall when pushed too hard, it's much harder to do that with the HS621.

In fact, I had my Honda HS621 run against the neighbor's Toro 221 in the thick heavy wet snow and he constantly ease up to let the rpm build back up, he constantly have to forward, stop, forward, stop.  I just push the HS621 steadily at about 1 inch per second and adjust the speed if the engine tone drops.   Pretty much like what this guy does:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_O6g_uHAA4&feature=related

Besides that test, the Toro 221 performs better than the HS621 in all other aspects. 

I will still keep my 10 year old HS621 forever though until I can buy a new one in the US.  I'm in the process of repainting it to make it look new again.

This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #12   Oct 27, 2010 5:29 pm
Thx all for the feedback...While the 2 stage is probably the Correct Machine given the *ultimate application* - plowing myself out after getting plowed in (they only plow to the right ). The only downside is footprint. The single stage I can store when the season is over. With a 2 stage, even a smaller monster engine 24-26" machine, it's too big of a machine for me to store at this time. That unfortunately is the compromise that I will suffer, and thus the single stage takes precendence.
aa335

Reply #13   Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm
No problems.  Remember we're here to help if you're itching to spend money.  :)

As far as hiding it from your wife, well, that's your problem.  :)
Replies: 4 - 13 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42