Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 134 - 143 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #134   Dec 22, 2010 10:55 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
If you can make one of those in your driveway I envy you.

Yes, only if those folks in Minne SNOW Ta stop hogging all that snow that's supposed to come down this way.

I'm running out of wax and it's too darn cold to be washing snowblowers on a regular basis.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #135   Dec 23, 2010 1:11 am
aa335 wrote:
Yes, only if those folks in Minne SNOW Ta stop hogging all that snow that's supposed to come down this way.

I'm running out of wax and it's too darn cold to be washing snowblowers on a regular basis.

Well fussing over mine has caused us to get an entire inch of snow. We are supposed to get up to 3 inches but that won't happen. It stopped snowing hours ago. Perfect if I had a single stage.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #136   Dec 23, 2010 7:17 am
You do have a single stage, also known as a shovel. :) I got 4 of them. 2 for me, 2 for the kids. :)
This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #137   Dec 23, 2010 9:31 pm
Regarding the original topic, I'd have to say this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5UynKisAuQ  16HP, 900 RPM 48" auger

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
chefwong

Reply #138   Dec 26, 2010 9:15 pm
The HS621 is indeed a little pitbull. It's been awhiles since I've used a 520 so it's not a benchmark, but it does seems to make a snouty grunt when it needs the torque.
Throw does not appear to be as far as the 520. Methinks after she get's a little dry, I'll pull the cover off, remove the tensioner pulley and pull the seal , solvent and repack the bearings. I want minimum drivetrain loss off the drive pulley
aa335

Reply #139   Dec 26, 2010 10:35 pm
Chefwong,

I hope that effort can get you another foot of throwing distance.  :)  If that much.  You can try to cross drill the driven pulley to save some weight.  There's some engine mods that the karting people do to get more power if you want to go that route. 

Seriously, the newer HS520 will naturally throw snow further than the old HS621.  The whole power delivery assembly has been lightened and has less rotational mass.  Honda switched to the flat belt, lightened up the auger assembly quite significantly. 

The GX160 engine on the HS621 is a gem.  That engine loves to be loaded up and keeps on pulling.  I have the larger GX340 engine on the two stage snowblower and it is the same way.
This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #140   Dec 27, 2010 4:35 pm
I shouldn't have flipped that 2 stager but it was more like a poney rather than a horse.

I've yet to tackle the driveway yet as plows have not even plowed our street, so it's a futile effort as the EOD will merrily come and wall me in.

The biggest difference I did notice was while throw is less, it NEVER stalled out on me, whereas with the 520, with the stuff I have done today, it would have easily stalled numerous times...
Go figure. I recall reading the torque specs between the 2 engines and the #'s were not that far off between each other. Nevertheless, I was quite surprised this little red pony did not stall once when tackling 2 foot high snow today. It just got annoying constantly clearing the jammed chute but I bid my own poison without the 2 stager. No regrets though cause I do feel the power was lacking ...for a big heavy metal impeller/auger...
aa335

Reply #141   Dec 27, 2010 4:43 pm
Are you keeping the 621 or flipping it? 
chefwong

Reply #142   Dec 27, 2010 5:15 pm
Not, until something more enticing comes along....
Saw a blurb on a Sno Tek 200CC - http://www.ariens.com/products_snow/sno_tek/single-stage/Pages/default.aspx

For flat pavement, I have always like the singles.
it's a much better dance partner .

That Yammy sure is enticing...
School is back in session tomorrow, and I need to freshen up on my customs import duty knowledge.
aa335

Reply #143   Dec 27, 2010 5:28 pm
chefwong wrote:
That Yammy sure is enticing...

What model?
Replies: 134 - 143 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42