Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda Observations

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

Honda Observations
Original Message   Oct 14, 2010 4:14 am
There have been many posts about how great the Honda snowblowers are. While I couldn't test one in the snow or even start one (none were prepped), I did get to see a few.

Some things are different. For instance, it has a manual worm chute direction crank. However, rather than a thin rod skewed at an odd angle with a wound wire serving as the worm, this has a machined worm gear and a shaft suitable for an automotive steering column complete with universal joint. It is very smooth if a rather long 5 1/4 turns lock to lock.

The auger is also a bit different. The blades are pretty thick and the teeth are bent over. This probably chews up snow more aggressively and may be a benefit on frozen snow, although no one has reported a problem with other augers. It is also a very open design like the Ariens.

These are the Ariens' and Husqvarna Crown'sfor comparison:

This is something you don't see on most snowblowers. It is the oil fill for the hydrostatic drive. The hydrostatic drive would let the Honda creep along in heavy snow slower than a typical friction disc system, letting it be a bit more effective in pentrating hard snow without riding up or handling large snow levels or heavy snow without becoming overhelmwed.

Because it wasn't running I wasn't able to measure impeller speed. The impeller itself looks rigid enough but otherwise nothing special. The impeller housing gap may be slightly smaller than other brands, but nothing very obvious and it doesn't look like enough to make a difference.

These area Toro and Deere impellers for comparison

The console shows the chute rotation lever to the right. It is a bit low; low enough for my wife to comment that she wondered if I could operate it comfortably.

None of the models on display, a 24" and 28" wheeled and 28" and 32" tracked, had any steering and all were a bear to move around, even in the showroom. The salesman wrestled with them.

Net, they appear well made with some interesting features but none that should dramatically improve snow removal. The Husqvarna Crowns drive their impellers at 1600rpm, 5000 ft/min tip speed. If Honda is doing the same that would give it a longer range and some extra capacity over units that didn't. The hydrostatic drive, unique in the US market to Honda and one Husqvarna model, would give it the ability to move more slowly though snow letting it deal with particularly challenging conditions better than a snow blower that didn't have that feature.

Is it worth a $1000 or higher premium compared to competitive units? That is probably an individual decision.

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by DavidNJ
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
drifter

Re: Honda Observations
Reply #1   Oct 14, 2010 12:08 pm
DavidNJ,

Did you take a look inside the chute of the Honda? The impeller ejection port between the chute and impeller housing, is square instead of round.
aa335

Reply #2   Oct 14, 2010 1:16 pm
That opening you asked about is rectangular.
drifter

Reply #3   Oct 14, 2010 11:50 pm
You're probably right. I was a bit surprised, because I thought all the machines had round ports, I looked at the Ariens Pro series today, and they too were square/rectangular. Actually, "pentangular" (Is that a word?)
aa335

Reply #4   Oct 14, 2010 11:59 pm
You can call that shape whatever you like.  It's is mostly rectangular.  I took a quick peek at my Honda snowblower and it wasn't perfectly rectangular, but it looked like it was purposely shaped that way as to not alter the tangential trajectory or the speed of the snow as it leaves the impeller blades.

I think this is on most modern snowblowers anyways.  I've noticed the older snowblowers had round openings with round chutes to match.  They don't throw as far, but had good snow throughput.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42