Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How Does This Auger Work?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

How Does This Auger Work?
Original Message   Oct 11, 2010 9:20 pm
This is the auger:

Note that a) the blades a) solid to the auger shaft and b) one half of each blade moves snow to the impeller in the center, and the other moves it away from the impeller! I haven't figured out how that works.

This is an Ariens impeller that represents the design on the Ariens, Toro, and Simplicity/Deere/Snapper, all companies that have put effort into optimizing snow movement:

Any ideas on how the first one works?

This message was modified Oct 11, 2010 by DavidNJ
Replies: 2 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MacGarage

Re: How Does This Auger Work?
Reply #2   Oct 11, 2010 9:32 pm
I talked to the local Husqvarna dealer about that just last week and he stated is was to move more snow into the impeller. He stated from his experience, it does work well compared to the previous open augers.
friiy

Reply #3   Oct 11, 2010 9:53 pm
The blades are mirror images of each other (reverse thread---kinda)...turning both the same direction will make have opposite effects.. Friiy
DavidNJ

Reply #4   Oct 11, 2010 10:18 pm
Each blade has two halves; one is moving it toward the impeller, the other away.

Another question would be the Ariens, Toro, Simplicity/Snapper/Deere augers are 14", the Husqvarna 12". Does that make a difference? Is that better or worse? Probably another thread.

All of this is an issue because a) the Husqvarna seems to have the best handlebar design, Simplicity/Deere/Snapper second, everyone else off in the distance, b) the Husqvarna may be the best made of the group; stiffest scoop, nicest console, etc,(other than the Simplicity/Deere/Snapper electric chute controles), and c) the Husqvarna is the only one, other than Honda, that offers a hydrostatic drive other than Honda, this allowing the unit to move at maybe twice as slow on the lowest setting.

slinger

Reply #5   Oct 11, 2010 10:46 pm
Wrong.  Think of the augers as a 2 fluted drill bit.  Each side is moving snow toward the center.  I don't know what you are seeing.
DavidNJ

Reply #6   Oct 11, 2010 10:56 pm
slinger wrote:
Wrong.  Think of the augers as a 2 fluted drill bit.  Each side is moving snow toward the center.  I don't know what you are seeing.

You're right. I was confused...

So this works? This works better or worse than the open center?

Has anyone tried both?

If it is better, why are Ariens, Toro, and Simplicity/Deere/Snapper using open centers?

DavidNJ

Reply #7   Oct 11, 2010 11:44 pm
Note, on their Swedish site this is the picture of the unit:

This would appear to be a lower end unit missing remote chute deflection, the weight bar, the top reinforcement, etc.

Replies: 2 - 7 of 7Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42