Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?
Original Message   Oct 8, 2010 12:12 am

Replies: 16 - 25 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jviera1298

Re: Impellers and Augers, Some Pictures, Any Comments?
Reply #16   Oct 8, 2010 3:24 pm
slinger wrote:
Ariens part list as well as part supply warehouses list the part as "Nylon".   Regular Nylon has about 400 psi load capacity in this application.  Other high performance plastic bearings (Delrin, Rulon, PEEK, UMHW, Vespel) have from double to 20 times the load capacity as Nylon.  Bronze bearings have 5 to 12 times the load capacity of nylon.  All of these mentioned are available in a flanged sleeve bearing and I'll bet in the same size as the Ariens part.  There are also oil impregnated bronze bearings as well as graphite filled bronze bearings with 4000psi ratings.  In short, it would have been very easy to design a much more durable part here for a couple of bucks.  Is the load on the Auger really that low that the cheapest solution possible is sufficient?  Frankly I agree with another prominent poster on this forum who said "shame on Ariens and Toro" with respect to this design. 

Have people had issues with them? We're throwing snow here, not drilling into the ground -- I would bet that it's sufficient and will last a long time performing its purpose.
DavidNJ

Gearbox Support
Reply #17   Oct 8, 2010 3:56 pm
Notice the that the Ariens is using a Y-mount and the Briggs (Deere in this case) is using a vertical shaft. I've come to think Ariens does virtually nothing by accident and just caught by surprise rarely. After this bushing discussion I'm thing the Y is to provide left/right alignment and the rod doesn't need to because of the side support.

Do you agree?

trouts2

Reply #18   Oct 8, 2010 4:11 pm

Two summers ago I fixed a 2004-2005 932105-ST8526LE which uses the blue bearing shown with it's holder.  It's the bearing for the wheel drive axle.  The bronze bearing is from an older Ariens and usually good for many years 20-30+ at least in a 724 in home service.

The repaired machine was bought second hand and he had it for two seasons clearing a 2 car wide barely 2 deep driveway.  The machine came from another homeowner so not a lot of  taxing service for a wheel bearing.  That would put the blue bearing at about 3-4 seasons of service.  

The part callout is: Bushing, Flange Split Nyliner .75”HP  Not sure what the material is and it could be more durable than the bronze but the load is riding on a much smaller area than the old bearing.  It was so worn the machine was riding the holder which was slightly worn.  

I've replaced two of these in newer home owner machines.  Not an inditement of Ariens parts but I usually replace wheel bearings on Ariens 70's and 80's machines.  I love putting a new motor on a 30-40 year old Ariens.  All that's usually needed is wheel and auger support bearings and the thing is ready for many more years of service.  Tens years from now the electric chute parts on new machines probalby won't be available.  There will probably be lots of service calls for blue bearing repairs.

The same blue bushing is used on the rake support ends.

This message was modified Oct 8, 2010 by trouts2
slinger

Reply #19   Oct 8, 2010 4:24 pm
jviera1298, I just bought the same platinum 24 that you did and I think for what we paid that Ariens went cheap on this part.  It may last for a while but it sure as heck isn't going to be as good as a ball or roller bearing.  Maybe they should just use nylon bushings on the impeller shaft too...how about the wheel axles?   I'm sorry but in my view the auger will bear a lot of load over time and I have to believe that for a couple of dollars it could have been done better. (that's my only point) 

I think the Y bracket to support the gear case serves to add stability in a number of different axis, not the least of which is side to side, because the auger shaft is not attached to the sides of the bucket, it just floats on the bearing support shaft.  If retrofitted with a flanged bearing blocks, the auger shaft could be tightened to the bearing with set screws and in turn make the entire bucket (sides) more rigid.

aa335

Re: Gearbox Support
Reply #20   Oct 8, 2010 5:10 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
Notice the that the Ariens is using a Y-mount and the Briggs (Deere in this case) is using a vertical shaft. I've come to think Ariens does virtually nothing by accident and just caught by surprise rarely. After this bushing discussion I'm thing the Y is to provide left/right alignment and the rod doesn't need to because of the side support.

Do you agree?

The Y-mount is just a different implementation to achieve the same objective.  Can't see it being any better than vertical shaft or plate with same stiffness.. 

I do like the Deere bucket up close though.  Simple, clean, robust design.
friiy

Reply #21   Oct 8, 2010 6:08 pm
The composit bearings are made for their application I believe... The problem I found on other types of equipment is the composite will pick up grit and act like a sandpaper on the bearing surface... surprisingly the shaft will wear quicker than the plastic/ composite  ( The grit gets impregnated into the bearing and lapped it to death over time)

Friiy

bus708

Reply #22   Oct 8, 2010 6:52 pm
If Ariens uses Nilon  buslings for bearings. how does it get grease?  I have a 924108. All I see is grease fittings for the auger blades not the bushings
aa335

Reply #23   Oct 8, 2010 6:54 pm
The material has self lubricating properties. Kinda like ice, it's naturally slippery. So no need to add grease. Actually grease may do more harm the good because it attracts dirt and grit, making it abrasive instead of smooth. See reply #21.
This message was modified Oct 8, 2010 by aa335
slinger

Re: Gearbox Support
Reply #24   Oct 11, 2010 8:45 pm
After looking into the "Nyliner" (blue bearing shown above) issue, it seems that it is a decent bearing material but it is made of such thin material (.025"- .06" depending on bearing size) that it just looks like a problem waiting to happen.  They supposedly require no lube and the spiral split in the bearing allows for thermal expansion. The problem for me will be that the material is so thin that an upgrade to a standard bronze sleeve bearing will probably not fit into the bearing support (3 holed metal piece also shown above) without drilling.
slinger

Reply #25   Oct 13, 2010 10:32 pm
Does anyone know why Ariens uses a different bearing (material, design & bearing support style) altogether on a Deluxe/Platinum auger rake shaft than is used on both the Compact & Professional series? Nylon (white) bearing on Deluxe platinum and thinner Nyliner (blue) bearings on the other 2 series.  At least the Nyliner material claims to be a superior bearing material although it's super thin (0.025"- 0.06") depending on bearing size.  As far as I can tell the nylon bearing is plain old cast nylon which is shown to be one of the more mediocre performing materials when compared to these new self-lubricating materials or oil impregnated bronze.  
Replies: 16 - 25 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42