Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drinkingbird

A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control
Original Message   Jan 26, 2005 9:54 am
I've been using Ariens snowblowers all my life, so I'm pretty disappointed with my 2004 8526LE so far.  When I received it, one of the shoe bolts was stripped out and the shoe would not stay adjusted.  Ariens sent me a couple new ones, which I was happy with.  However during the big blizzard, I noticed my wheel drive was very sluggish, I had to push the thing to get it going forward, and as soon as it hit any resistance, it would stop.  I had fully tensioned and adjusted everything after the initial 15 mins but figured maybe there had been some stretching.  Brought it in to inspect, the pivot point where the drive cable connects (sticks just out of the body) was not pivoting, it was just hanging around in there loose.  Wasn't like that when I got it for sure.  Took it all apart, found the bolt with no cotter pin sitting in the bottom.  So it apparently had been slid through and no pin ever put on (the bolt was stuck in some ice on the bottom, with no pin in sight).  Of course this caused a lot of wear to the friction disc and there is rubber all over the friction plate now.  So I also needed to change the oil last night, and while it was draining I decided to inspect other parts again with a fine tooth comb.  I am missing a bolt that holds the dipstick tube support and the front of the carb cover in place, my starter has a horrible looking electrical connection that I had to re-do (it stopped working during the storm, I thought it was Ice, guess not) and in general all kinds of stuff was loose.

I bought it in the crate as it came from Ariens, unopened, so this was not a dealer assembly issue.  Pretty disapointed for $1000.....  I mean I looked it over when I got it and did the adjustments, but I had no idea I had to rip the entire thing apart and inspect the inside too.  Sheesh.

Now that its all fixed it works great, would drive itself through a brick wall, its not the quality of the product itself that bothers me, more the quality control of the assembly.  So at the beginning of next year looks like I'll need a new friction disc already and spend some time removing the rubber off the plate.  Oh well.

-Dave

Replies: 25 - 34 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Re: A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control
Reply #25   Jan 26, 2005 8:23 pm
Good, hopefully they keep records so that they can correct things like this in the future.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #26   Jan 26, 2005 8:47 pm
all right guys TIME OUT...

now you promised you would behave and im gonna hold you to it.

im gonna have to stick up for the ariens (we sell them now ...sort of) a dealer sold machine will not have near the troubles that a box store or in the crate machine will.

not to say that the average homeowner couldnt properly assemble one but they are somewhat fussy machine.

remember a quarter turn on the friction disc adjustment will make a big difference.and the impeller belt adjustment is the same.

im so used to doing the pre delivery inspection on OPE that i just take it for granted.

i have found that the better quality of machine will take a few minutes more to set up but it will last years longer.

no desrespect intended but im better trained and better backed than the average homeowner.

a simple for instance is the fact that we sold 2 of the 1336 DLE ariens .i did the 15 minute belt adjustment on the impeller and went from about a 45 foot throw to at least 60 feet. you should have seen people driving by ,they nearly ran off the road watching.

im a firm beleiver in a proper set up and most homeowners wont or cant do it.

every piece of equipment we sell is set up and we also offer a free breakin adjustment at anytime the owner feels his machine is broken in.

and i will say that the snappers ...now simplicity units are somewhat  less fussy but still need a few touches here and there.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #27   Jan 26, 2005 8:51 pm
ChrisS wrote:
Dkbrd, did you E-mail Ariens you problems and complaints to make them aware?  I think that would be helpful and I would be curious as to their response.  If they are not aware of the problem they cannot do anything about it. 

Hi Chris,

Remember about 2 years ago when I had that quality control problem and dealer issue on my Ariens 724 back on the other board? I remember, Dan Ariens (I believe that was his first name) actually read my grievance and responded to it publicly.  It was also the same time the friction disc (I don't remember what model it was) was causing customers some friction.  Is he still a member around here and does he pop in now and then to see how his fans are doing with their snowblowers?  I must admit, it was pretty cool thing to happen.  I would have liked it better if he had called that dealer and had given them a good reaming. 

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #28   Jan 26, 2005 9:10 pm
Richie wrote:
Hi Chris,

Remember about 2 years ago when I had that quality control problem and dealer issue on my Ariens 724 back on the other board? I remember, Dan Ariens (I believe that was his first name) actually read my grievance and responded to it publicly.  It was also the same time the friction disc (I don't remember what model it was) was causing customers some friction.  Is he still a member around here and does he pop in now and then to see how his fans are doing with their snowblowers?  I must admit, it was pretty cool thing to happen.  I would have liked it better if he had called that dealer and had given them a good reaming. 

Richie,

As you know or, may not, Dan's first lieutenant in engineering does frequent the site and I imagine he has Dan's ear. They have always been responsive  when a problem arises. Unfortunately, quality control isn't a simple friction disc or something you can put your hands on and design better. It usually takes changes in quite a few thing internally and of course, time.

I would really like to hear from everyone that had a problem that was not related to something a dealer should have handled during prep.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2005 by Marshall
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #29   Jan 26, 2005 9:24 pm
Hi everyone:

I am going to add some fuel to the fire....I have had some issues with the design and manufacturing quality with my Ariens product. 

I purchased my 1028 deluxe for $974 on 2/1/03.  Since this time I have had to correct manufacturing tolerance errors on two occasions and two design flaws. 

As some of you may recall, I posted problems with the chain tensioner and the distortion that it created on the side case.  I am currently having parts machined to correct this and will post my solution here when complete, as I am sure current owners might want to make this modification after the warranty runs out.

Other problem have been with the clutch bracket rubbing up on the housing, (Wrong spacer size) and having to monkey with the drive belt idler to get it centered on the belt.  Each of these problems are non adjustable.

I had a very eloquent description to this but appearantly type too slow and timed out....

bbwb

This message was modified Jan 26, 2005 by bbwb
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #30   Jan 26, 2005 10:09 pm
Hi BB,

You're actually having components fabricated rather than have Ariens send you a replacement part, I would have loved to see photos of all this before and after you complete the repair.  That's great you have access to a machine shop that is willing to do that kind of work.  Maybe you can post photos when you're done.  Good luck with that! 

Richie
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Reply #31   Jan 26, 2005 10:32 pm
Hi Richie:

When I contacted Ariens about this, they were very responsive and sympathetic to my problem, but, because I was the only one to complain about this problem, I am left all alone in the life boat as it were.  I so far have been using "off the shelf" parts not only from Ariens, but also from Grainger.  The machine shop is increasing the round portion of Ariens hex shaft up from the 7/16" diameter up to 5/8".  From there, I will cut off the excess shaft ends and mount this into a rigid flange bearing.  This will spread the forces out over a larger area than the original 3/8" diameter bolt can provide.  Yes, if this works, I will post my solution for others.

Maybe PK will take this back with him and I can get a large royalty check so I could retire????

bbwb

boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #32   Jan 26, 2005 11:10 pm
I'm with snowremover.  There is no doubt in my mind that initial quality problems have been reported here (and WTB) far more often on Ariens blowers than any other brand.  Maybe this is due to some kind of biased sampling but can't figure why this should be the case. When I was shopping I was put off Ariens by quality issues obvious on the showroom floor.  Too bad because otherwise they're generally a stoutly made blower.

I also feel "improper dealer set-up" is a lame excuse for any manufacturer - and it's not just a problem at box stores. These days people expect things to work perfectly right out of the box - except something simple like unfolding handlebars.   It costs far more for a dealer (independent or box) to set up, adjust, and inspect a machine than it would at the factory, not to mention the cost of unhappy customers at the first big snow.   Hopefully Ariens is listening.   -Bob

Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #33   Jan 28, 2005 12:15 am
--SnowRemover "Who Never Owned, And Never Will Own, A Japanese Car" Snowremover, Does this also mean that you won't buy a car from an American company that imports and sells cars from Japan but under their American name?
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by Walt
Emmo

Reply #34   Jan 28, 2005 2:18 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
I try, but it is so difficult now.  I'm driving a Pontiac Grand Am now, which is 90+% American components and assembled in America, but I'm starting to look for a hatchback.  I took a look at the Pontiac Vibe, but its made jointly with Toyota (assembled in America, but less than 60% American parts).  So I'm staying away from that.  I'm hoping the new Chevy HHR, is 90+% American and assembled here.  If that's not mostly American, than I might have to look at Ford.  

There are a lot of cars that meet my needs, but I won't buy them (Chrysler PT Cruiser - assembled in Mexico) as just one example.  My toughest time is with electronics.  Lucky I've got a taste for high end audio, which leads me B&K more often than not. 

I do my best to always buy American, but sometimes it is impossible (eg: flat panel Plasma TV's)

--Snow Remver

It's a new millenium and a global economy.

You like the big 3 even though they ship jobs to cheaper labor markets?? And wonder why their build qualities can't stack up to their Japanese counterparts?? The Japanese at least came into our country, put our people to work and build a quality, competitive product and continue to reinvest in their North American positions.

I know you want a hatchback and the Accord isn't it.  But as an example, what exactly is wrong with it?  97% domestic content not high enough for you?  I'm sure a japanese built Accord probably isn't 97% Japanese components! It is built in my backyard, by my neighbors, using parts built by a ton of my other neighbors by a company that continues to reinvest in itself in this country. They do it without union labor by being fair with its employees. The argument that all the money goes home to Japan doesn't really cut it.  You want a slice of the action?, No problem buy Honda stock on the NYSE, they are happy to share in the wealth.

I'm using Honda only as an example, Toyota and Nissan et.al. also have similar positions.

Do I own Hondas?  Yes, an Accord and a Pilot. Do I work there or own stock ?  NO   but I do believe in buying a quality product that supports my community and my neighbors.  Will I shop Wal Mart?  Hell NO!  That is a company that is slowly taking America hostage and I won't support that kind of corporate behavior.

An example on the other side could be the Saturn Vue  (Which I shopped before buying my Pilot)

So much for the image of a true American car.   A 2004 V-6 Vues has a higher domestic content than a 2003. Why?  They stopped using the GM made V-6(imported from one of their European compadres) and started using a Honda (Made in Ana Ohio) V-6.  GM uses many different engines and trannys from their European  subsidiaries Saab, Vauxhall, Opel and others. But the perception is all Mom, hot dogs and apple pie.

GM, Ford and Daimler are global companies too.....they bring parts in here to build their cars as much as the next guy (or more so in some cases).

Maybe it's time to ease up on the nameplates and start looking at who is building a quality vehicle, priced competitively and being a good neighbor.
Replies: 25 - 34 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42