Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking for parts for old NOMA snow blower (1979)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GMD99

Looking for parts for old NOMA snow blower (1979)
Original Message   Oct 1, 2010 1:51 pm
I bought a NOMA snowblower in 1979 from The Bay. It has worked has worked extremely well for all those years (through some tough Canadian winters). However I am now having trouble finding replacement parts.

My current concern is that the auger spring snapped and I cannot find a replacement! Briggs & Stratton have told me that the replacement part (their part # 787266MA) is now obsolete!

Does anyone know of a dealer in the Toronto area that carries old parts for the NOMA/Murray snow blowers?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated...

Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
GMD99

Re: Looking for parts for old NOMA snow blower (1979)
Reply #4   Oct 1, 2010 4:45 pm
You are right, it snapped at one end. I will try your suggestion of bending a new hook at the end, however my guess is that the spring will now be too tight! Still it is worth trying...

Thanks...

Shryp

Reply #5   Oct 1, 2010 4:55 pm
My guess is 30 years of stretching will make it just right now.  You could always try some kind of wire or washers or something if it is too short.
friiy

Reply #6   Oct 1, 2010 6:55 pm
Like was said.. A lot of springs are the same... take a picture of the spring nex to a ruler and post the pic...We will see if we can come up with something...

Friiy

woweh

Reply #7   Oct 1, 2010 9:18 pm
As Shryp said, try bending the end of the spring to make yourself a new hook...voila!! Done it may of times, if it is a heavy gauge try heating it red with a butane torch and make a new hook.
ajallen

Reply #8   Oct 2, 2010 9:56 pm
Could you post your model number?

AJ

GMD99

Reply #9   Oct 5, 2010 1:04 pm
Here is the link to a picture I took of the spring  (I tried to place the broken pieces where I expect they should be!)              

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80119904@N00/5054237423/

If I can't find a spring I will try to bend the end...

AJ... the snowblower was made by NOMA but sold under the Baycrest Brand. The model number is HB826 

Thanks

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by GMD99
kev91

Reply #10   Oct 5, 2010 3:14 pm
I saw your post regarding a spring for your Noma.  You might want to check out a place called Cormier Equipment  in Canada as they show a spring murray # 787266 it gives the measurements as 5 3/8", Coil 3 1/4" and a dia. of 1/2" which I believe would be the actual length of your spring.  Their web page show a photo of the spring and it's second from the bottom of the page.  They have a toll free # as well as a web site.  The link is http://www.c-equipment.com/snowblower-murray-misc.html.

I hope this works out for you and also if you take note of the Cormier spring photo it shows the curved ends in the opposite directions of each other not in the same direction as your photo shows.  I believe that they are designed to be in opposite directions, (1.) it puts less tension on the coil so it's twisted and (2.) it also make it easier to install the spring onto the body of the machine and then to the brake arm.  I could be wrong, but all of the springs that I have seen for blowers have them made that way.   
GMD99

Reply #11   Oct 5, 2010 4:39 pm
Kev91... Thanks. I just finished ordering a few springs from Cormier Equipment. It certainly looks like the spring I am looking for.
You are right when I set up the broken pieces for the picture I put them the wrong way!!
Thanks again...
Replies: 4 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42