Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Where Does The Deere 1330SE Fit Into the Cosmic Scheme of Things

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

Where Does The Deere 1330SE Fit Into the Cosmic Scheme of Things
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 12:20 am
Here I've been thinking 2009 Subaru powered Ariens Deluxe 30", 2010 B&S 342 Ariens Platinum 30", B&S 342 Toro 1128 and now a Deere 1330SE pops up.

Net, 14" auger, 342cc B&S, same Hillard AutoLok differential as Ariens Platinum (does Ariens make it?), electric hand warmers, electric chute rotation/deflection adjustment (still can'd decide if this is a good thing), slightly bigger tires than the Ariens or Toro (16x6.5), cast iron gear case. It includes drift cutters for a price of $1500, less than all but the Ariens Deluxe.

It is sold by a dealer and by Lowe's (same price, dealer has cheaper delivery). Is this made by Ariens? Is it any good? Is the Impeller also 14"

Update, the 30" looks like a Smplicity Large Frame, the 32" a Simplicity Signature Pro Commercial. Specs are the same except for the differential (Simplicity's free the left wheel), hand warmers (NA on the Large Frame), and color.

This message was modified Sep 29, 2010 by DavidNJ
Replies: 16 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Where Does The Deere 1330SE Fit Into the Cosmic Scheme of Things
Reply #16   Oct 7, 2010 9:42 am
It's not that hard to turn when there's layer of snow underneath the tracks.  The tracks have teeth that has great traction front to back, but you can get it slip sideways easier.  I've even turning on dry concrete at low speeds, high effort, but doable.

Come to think about turning, it is very technique dependent.  Too fast and you overshoot your turn, it will run wide, don't have time to steer, and it will outrun you.   Seriously, how do you catch up to the snowblower that 4 times your footprint on slippery surface.  Too slow and it has too much friction, more effort to turn.  The hydrostatic drive allows very precise speed control so you can dial the exact speed you need depending on the turn radius and the surface friction.  This is more amplified with tracks and a hydrostatic transmission is almost mandatory.  When you turn, the tracks will fight against the power of the engine.  I think that kind of torque and resistance might kill friction disc in no time because the disc is least efficient at low speed, scrubbing and slipping are really high.  Kinda hard to explain turning a track snowblower unless you're operating one, you will get a feel for it and adjust speed and technique.

If it has tracks, torque demand is very high.  I would not accept anything less than a hydro or individual electric motors.  I'm not sure what kind of drive Ariens use on their track snowblower, but if it uses friction disc, it will have to be specially designed for that application.  Maybe Snowman can chime in on this topic.
DavidNJ

Reply #17   Oct 7, 2010 12:15 pm
In the parts manual, the Ariens tracked models use the Hillard AutoLok with an additional lockout on the right side drive sprocket.

As I understand your post, you adjust the slippage by varying your speed depending on traction conditions and turn radius to make turning easier. Is that correct?

JimmyM

Reply #18   Oct 7, 2010 12:32 pm
trouts2 wrote:
Slinger:  Congradulation on your resisting the temptation.   Many make the mistake of buying for worse case and most regret it later although it takes a few years of dragging around a big machine to cave in and admit the mistake.  I pickup big machines often from people who are happy to get rid of them.  Tough to resist a big toy but unless you're in a snow belt they hardly get used.  I'm 25 miles west of Boston where there is not much snow per year.   

The Ariens 1124 was a 11.5 Tecumseh OHV on a 24 inch intake housing, model 924122.  It was a fantastic machine with CI and full differential of the old hand switchable style at the wheel.  I'd take that anyday over the newer full differential.  The rakes were 16 inch, impeller 12 with a 4 blade impeller.   It was the last year I know of to have a cast iron gearbox with cone roller bearings on the auger drive shaft.   I kept it for one season then sold it to make room for something else to try out.  It was a great compact tiger.

West of Boston, huh? I'm in Franklin. I bought the 30" CubCadet 930. It will last forever. Probably more machine than I'll need, but I have it if I do. I don't mind it's size since I'm big too.
aa335

Reply #19   Oct 7, 2010 12:44 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
In the parts manual, the Ariens tracked models use the Hillard AutoLok with an additional lockout on the right side drive sprocket.

As I understand your post, you adjust the slippage by varying your speed depending on traction conditions and turn radius to make turning easier. Is that correct?

That is correct, speed changes during the turns, and some body English too. 
This message was modified Oct 7, 2010 by aa335
Replies: 16 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42