Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Please help me choose between Ariens Compact 24" vs Simplicity 1924E

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Snowvan

Please help me choose between Ariens Compact 24" vs Simplicity 1924E
Original Message   Sep 27, 2010 7:54 pm
Hello,

I am new to the two stage snow blower world.  I have a single stage MTD that is on its last leg and probably won't last another season.  I am looking to upgrade to a two stage mid size snow blower.  I have done some research and came down to two models:  Ariens Compact 24" (9200014) and Simplicity 1924E. 

Based on the information available, these two models are very similar in that they both use the B&S 205cc engine and weight about 175 lb.  I like the compact size of these two snow blowers because my wife uses the machine occasionally for our typical two-car driveway.  The Simplicity is about $200 more than the Ariens so I am leaning toward the Ariens.  I don't mind paying the extra money if someone with experience with these two machines could point out the benefits of the Simplicity that I might have overlooked from my research.  Both snow blowers are offered through a local dealer so service after sales is not an issue.  I would also like your opinion on the strength of these models to ensure which ever I choose is able to handle the EOD stuff.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
bus708

Re: Please help me choose between Ariens Compact 24" vs Simplicity 1924E
Reply #1   Sep 28, 2010 12:39 am
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN A MACHINE? I HAVE AN ARIENS  924108. OUTSIDE OF SHEER PINS AND  A SET OF BELTS. NO PROBLEMS - MY MACHINE IS A LITTLE BIGGER THAN THE COMPACT 24. MINE HAS 8 HP. THE 205 ENGINE IS REALLY NOT ALL THAT STRONG. IT MAY BOG DOWN ON YOU IN DEEP SNOW. IT MIGHT THROW HEAVY WET SNOW 10-15 FEET.  I KNOW IT IS RATED AT 40 FEET. BUT THAT IS THE FLUFFY STUFF. THE SIMPLICITY HAS A 10" IMPELLER THE ARIENS HAS 12.   THE BIGGER THE IMPELLER THE MORE SPEED YOU GET THROWING THE SNOW WHEN IT LEAVES THE SHOOT. MY 8 HP UNIT HAS A 12 IMPELLER.WITH THE BIGGER IMPELLER YOU WILL ALSO GET MORE SNOW IN THE SHOOT TO THROW. THAT MEANS MORE LOAD ON YOUR ENGINE. THE MORE LOAD YOU GIVE YOUR ENGINE IT WILL BOG DOWN  IF THE LOAD IS TO MUCH SO YOU MUST FEED THE SNOW IN A LOW LOW  GEAR.
   THE SIMPLICITY IS BETTER ENGINEERED . IT HAS A 10" IMPELLER. IT WILL NOT BOG DOWN AS EASY.THE 205 ENGINE WILL NOT HAVE TO WORK AS HARD TO THROW AS MUCH SNOW. IF YOU HAVE BEEN GETTING BY WITH A WINKY DINK SINGLE STAGE MTD FOR PAST YEARS THE ARIENS WILL DO YOU FINE. JUST RUN FUEL STABILIZER IN IT FROM DAY ONE AND KEEP UP ON YOUR MANITANCE. DONT TRUST HOME DEPOT TO SET IT UP FOR YOU.  GO OVER IT YOURSELF. AFTER BRAKE IN RUN A HIGH QUALITY OIL LIKE MOBIL 1  AND CHANGE THE OIL EVERY YEAR. LUBE YOUR MACHINE WHEN YOU GET IT. ALSO SPRAY WD40 IN YOUR SHOOT AND AUGER AREA. THE SNOW WILL NOT STICK AND YOU THROW BETTER.
             AS I SAID I LOVE ARIENS THEY HAVE TREATED ME WELL. YES THERE ARE BETTER MACHINES OUT THERE, SIMPLICITY IS ONE OF THEM. I REALLY THINK YOU WILL BE HAPPY WITH A ARIENS . MINE IS A 10 YEARS OLD AND STILL MY BABY.
This message was modified Sep 28, 2010 by bus708
Snowvan

Re: Please help me choose between Ariens Compact 24" vs Simplicity 1924E
Reply #2   Sep 29, 2010 5:51 pm
Thanks for the advice.  As I mentioned in my post, I don't mind spending the extra money on the Simplicity as long as there is a benefit.  I forgot to mention that we live in central Pennsylvania and we have a flat concrete driveway.  The biggest problem is the end of drive wet stuff in a typical suburban development street.  We are looking for a basic machine that will last, with proper maintenance of course.  Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42