Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)
Original Message   Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am
I live in central Ohio and don't have a real Ariens dealer anywhere near me.  We don't get a ton of snow but on occasion we get hit pretty good.  My current single stage kind of gets me by but I have had to repair it already after only 3 yrs.  I have a 3 car wide driveway  (but not really long) so I need to be able to throw snow a good distance and also be able to handle the frozen chunky stuff at the EOD. I make a lot of turns.  I'm considering 2 machines: 920015 ($899) on the low end or 921020 ($1249) as a higher end option. My questions are:  How convenient/reliable  is the new quick-turn chute & deflector vs the 2.5x crank?  Is it a must-have? Are the materials in the deluxe better grade (steel thickness,etc.) than the compact series?  I'm not sure if the 249cc Briggs motor is made in the US or China.  Does this thing have enough power for the EOD?  I'm kind of leaning toward the Subaru 287cc motor on the Deluxe series unit, even though I'm wondering if a 30" unit might be a little large for my needs.  To me it seems like you're getting a Honda equivalent engine for a great deal.  But perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the whole Subaru thing and overbuying on the machine.   Given these questions and criteria, which model would be the best choice for the money?  
This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by slinger
Replies: 19 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
slinger

Re: Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)
Reply #19   Oct 2, 2010 9:22 am
OK, after thinking about this WAY too much I think I'm going to get the Platinum 24 today for these reasons:

Price is actually less on Platinum 24 vs Deluxe 30 through HD.

Hand warmers, quick chute, auto trak diff. (read up on the hilliard website about the diff. - think I understand it now. Thnx DavidNJ)

24 will store easier.

24 will take a few more passes to complete the job than the 30 (a little more time to enjoy using the new toy!)

DavidNJ said that in the store that Remote locking Axle seemed "iffy".

Amazer praised his Platinum over his deluxe and made good sense.

Everyone says not to worry about the Briggs 249cc engine.  It may be made by Briggs in China but at least it has ball bearing crank journals.

And finally because Snowmann told me to!  He provided a wealth of technical info and using all of my criteria was able to steer me toward the proper machine.

Thanks to all of you.  This forum was of great assistance especially when there are very few local dealers in my area that carry quality products.

DavidNJ

Re: Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)
Reply #20   Oct 2, 2010 12:12 pm
I don't recall saying it is 'Iffy'. Just, their are 5 ways to turn: wheels always locked together, one wheel always in freewheel with pin removed, one wheel toggled into freewheel with hand lever (Ariens Deluxe 28/30, Simplicity), differential powering wheels to a minimum of output shaft speed (Ariens Platinum/Professional, some Deere), operator controlled momentary left/right/both freewheel (some Toro, MTD/Club Cadet/Troy-bilt, some Husqvarna). Reports are inconclusive of which is best with no reported disadvantages to the last.
slinger

Reply #21   Oct 2, 2010 6:05 pm
Sorry DavidNJ, didn't mean to misquote you.  Here's exactly what you said: "The Deluxe has a release on the left side only. In the store it seemed a little erratic;".  Anyway, I don't want to have to worry about stopping every time I need to engage/disengage the axle lock mechanism.  There's my reason for going with the Auto trac diff.  If it's good enough for the Pro models I'm sure its probably pretty good. 
DavidNJ

Reply #22   Oct 2, 2010 9:07 pm
I tried the Hillard AutoLok on a Deere 1330SE today...it wasn't bad. There wasn't any snow, but it seemed easy enough to handle.

In the end the dollars and sizes are fairly small; over the next 15 years you will be spending 'quality time' with it for hours in bitter cold weather with a piercing wind. The Platinum Ariens should serve you well.

Steve_Cebu

Re: Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe?
Reply #23   Oct 2, 2010 9:14 pm
slinger wrote:
Thank you again for your input.  I don't really have an Ariens dealer close to me so HD is about it and the stores by me don't have either of these models on the floor.   Do you have to stop the movement of the machine in order to use the Remote Locking Axle feature?    I've heard it should not be operated under load.  Also, what's the backfiring issue I keep hearing about on the Briggs motors.  Is that just someone shutting an engine off without throttling down first?   Steve, I like the idea of the Toro's dual triggers for steering.  I've been a Toro guy for 30 years as far as mowers, trimmers etc.  Just bought a new Zero turn this year.  But they don't have this steering feature in a thrower at my desired pricepoint (~ $1300).  Snowmann, I thought for sure I was going to buy a machine with a Subaru motor.  You are starting to convince me that I really shouldn't put so much weight of my decision on the engine as that is going to be the last thing to go bad on the unit.  I guess I'm starting to agree with your recommendation of the Platinum 24.  But it's tough for me to give up on the Subaru...it's a $650 engine vs the Briggs 1150 series which goes for about $300 or so...

I guess it's tough to pony up the $$$ if you don't have it. I figure it's a huge savings over a plow if it lasts 10 years and the plows do an awful job and leave a lot of snow behind as well. For us we needed easy to use and reliable and cost while a factor was less important that being able to blow the driveway easily and without back breaking effort. The Briggs motor work very well no complaints with it yet. The dual triggers and the quick chute make doing the driveway a breeze for me. Just buy the machine you prefer and like to use teh best since it's a 10+ year decision.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 19 - 23 of 23Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42