Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe? (Morphed into Platinum vs Deluxe)
Original Message   Sep 22, 2010 11:37 am
I live in central Ohio and don't have a real Ariens dealer anywhere near me.  We don't get a ton of snow but on occasion we get hit pretty good.  My current single stage kind of gets me by but I have had to repair it already after only 3 yrs.  I have a 3 car wide driveway  (but not really long) so I need to be able to throw snow a good distance and also be able to handle the frozen chunky stuff at the EOD. I make a lot of turns.  I'm considering 2 machines: 920015 ($899) on the low end or 921020 ($1249) as a higher end option. My questions are:  How convenient/reliable  is the new quick-turn chute & deflector vs the 2.5x crank?  Is it a must-have? Are the materials in the deluxe better grade (steel thickness,etc.) than the compact series?  I'm not sure if the 249cc Briggs motor is made in the US or China.  Does this thing have enough power for the EOD?  I'm kind of leaning toward the Subaru 287cc motor on the Deluxe series unit, even though I'm wondering if a 30" unit might be a little large for my needs.  To me it seems like you're getting a Honda equivalent engine for a great deal.  But perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the whole Subaru thing and overbuying on the machine.   Given these questions and criteria, which model would be the best choice for the money?  
This message was modified Oct 2, 2010 by slinger
Replies: 1 - 10 of 23NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Snowmann

Re: Ariens decision question: Compact series or Deluxe?
Reply #1   Sep 23, 2010 11:19 pm
slinger wrote:
I live in central Ohio and don't have a real Ariens dealer anywhere near me.  We don't get a ton of snow but on occasion we get hit pretty good.  My current single stage kind of gets me by but I have had to repair it already after only 3 yrs.  I have a 3 car wide driveway  (but not really long) so I need to be able to throw snow a good distance and also be able to handle the frozen chunky stuff at the EOD. I make a lot of turns.  I'm considering 2 machines: 920015 ($899) on the low end or 921020 ($1249) as a higher end option. My questions are:  How convenient/reliable  is the new quick-turn chute & deflector vs the 2.5x crank?  Is it a must-have? Are the materials in the deluxe better grade (steel thickness,etc.) than the compact series?  I'm not sure if the 249cc Briggs motor is made in the US or China.  Does this thing have enough power for the EOD?  I'm kind of leaning toward the Subaru 287cc motor on the Deluxe series unit, even though I'm wondering if a 30" unit might be a little large for my needs.  To me it seems like you're getting a Honda equivalent engine for a great deal.  But perhaps I'm putting too much stock in the whole Subaru thing and overbuying on the machine.   Given these questions and criteria, which model would be the best choice for the money?  

The 30" is a little large for your needs. If you have to turn a lot, the better features are the Quick Turn chute, remote cap deflector, and the ATC. That said, the unit you should be looking at is the 24 Platinum (Deluxe). The Quick Turn chute works well when it is adjusted properly (and it's fast). The narrower housing is also a benefit when blowing the EOD. The Compact and Deluxe are comparable in quality and durability, only that the Deluxe is capable of moving more snow, faster (than the Compacts, and many other units for that matter). The Platinum would be capable of moving more than than you'll see in central Ohio. All 205cc and 249cc Briggs snow engines are made in China, but most snow engines are so I wouldn't let that determine anything. The Briggs 249cc has plenty of power for your snow conditions. The 920015 would work too if you want to save a few bucks, but you'll be compromising the ATC and Quick Turn chute. That unit will move all the snow you need as well, albeit less quickly than the Platinum. The Subaru engines are excellent, but the models best suited to you are not equipped with such.
slinger

Reply #2   Sep 24, 2010 10:30 am
Snowmann, I realize that on the Compact series I lose the ATC, but I was under the impression that the 920015 DID come with a Quick-Turn Chute and remote Deflector.  Not true?   Hopefully the Ariens mechanism is more robust than some of the other joystick chutes that have reported problems.  If I elect to go that way (920015) to save a few $$$  would the 26" width and 249cc Briggs still do well on the EOD?
slinger

Reply #3   Sep 24, 2010 11:17 am
Maybe you meant a Quick Stick?  What is the difference? 
Snowmann

Reply #4   Sep 24, 2010 12:06 pm
slinger wrote:
Snowmann, I realize that on the Compact series I lose the ATC, but I was under the impression that the 920015 DID come with a Quick-Turn Chute and remote Deflector.  Not true?   Hopefully the Ariens mechanism is more robust than some of the other joystick chutes that have reported problems.  If I elect to go that way (920015) to save a few $$$  would the 26" width and 249cc Briggs still do well on the EOD?

The "Quick Turn" feature on the Platinums and Pros is a single lever with ~80 degrees or so of travel that will turn the chute 200 degrees. It has a feature whereas the chute automatically locks and unlocks when the control is used. It is very fast, but it requires reasonably accurate adjustment to work correctly (expertise that you might not get during setup at a mass retailer). It's simple to adjust (detailed in the owners manual).

The Deluxe,Compact, and Sno-Tek models use a "2.5X Quick Turn" which is a crank mechanism that turns the chute 200 degrees (205 degrees on Compacts) with only 2.5 Turns of a crank. The "Ice Drill" variant of this is the same only that the handle is inline with the crank instead of at the end (like a manual ice drill). The chute is held in place during operation by friction materials under compression in the pivot axis. As this feature is much simpler in design, it has the potential to be less problematic than more complex systems (requires little or no adjustment, fewer moving parts).

The 26" Compact model with the 249cc Briggs has power to spare for any condition and will be more than enough for the EOD. This same engine is used on the larger 14" impeller (Deluxe) models whereas the power consumption and capacity can be much higher. That said, it's has plenty of reserve power for this model. The 26" Compact also does have a remote cap deflector.

PK

amazer98

Reply #5   Sep 28, 2010 5:19 pm
Last year I initially bought the Deluxe 24 and later exchanged it for the Platinum version.  The biggest benefit to me and the reason I upgraded was that the traction control made the Platinum a helluva lot easier to turn-- you really have to horse the Deluxe around when it's time to change direction. That gets old very quickly!

The bigger Deluxe models have triggers that remotely release locking pins on the axle, which makes them easier to turn than the Deluxe 24.  I suppose Ariens thought the 24" model was light enough to simply push and twist around to do a 180, but I found it to be a real pain in the a$$.

The Platinum 24 also has a headlight, which comes in handy at my EOD where the driveway illumination peters out (no streetlights here in Hollis, NH!).  The upgraded controls for changing chute direction a half-second faster and for remotely controlling the deflector did not seem to be major advantages, and I could certainly happily live without them.  Similarly, the handwarmers are a nice touch, but not a necessity.  If I had to choose, I guess I'd pick the handwarmers over the chute control upgrade.

By the way, I found the Briggs engine to be great-- it starts very easily (no need for the electric assist, but it's there if you need it) and ran smoothly and powerfully, which was a pleasant surprise.  I am very happy with the Ariens quality, especially at its price-point compared to Toro and Honda.  It's a well balanced, solidly built machine.

NOTE:  I just went to Ariens' website and this year they no longer are producing the Deluxe 24--  only the Deluxe 28 and 30.  If you want a 24" model, your choices are the Compact 24 or the Platinum 24. To my mind this makes sense-- the Compact with its smaller engine would obviously be easier to turn around than the old Deluxe 24, and the Platinum 24 has a bigger engine plus all the bells and whistles.  I'd say that if you typically do not get more than two storms a season that exceed 8 or 10 inches, go for the Compact.  If you get a lot more snow than that at a time, go for the Platinum.
This message was modified Sep 28, 2010 by amazer98
slinger

Reply #6   Sep 29, 2010 9:31 am
Thanks Snowmann & amazer for your input.  Initially I was considering the Compact 26" because I thought that it had remote chute and deflector controls, but Snowmann says this model still uses a crank.  Now I have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 machines: The Platinum 24", the Deluxe 30" w/Subaru and I am also interested in the John Deere 1330se (nice looking machine- about as much as a 30" platinum).  All of these would be more than enough machine for my needs.  I must admit like some others I seem to be very impressed by the Subaru engine and wish it were available in other configurations of machines.  I know I shouldn't be worried about the Chinese built Briggs 249cc motor because I have heard that the Ariens Polar Force motors are beefed-up somehow beyond the 249cc motors that other manufacturers are getting.  With Subaru I feel like I'm getting Honda-like quality at a helluva deal!   The Platinum 24 is probably the right size for me however, if I get a 30" unit, I can clear the entire circle in the court where I live, thereby eliminating the EOD mess for all 6 residents on the court.  I could be a hero!  (And maybe they would send over some fresh baked cookies or pies to show their appreciation!)
amazer98

Reply #7   Sep 29, 2010 11:28 am
I would just add that it's easy to underestimate how fast you can do a driveway with one of these things.  For example, our driveway is about 70 feet long, plus in the area adjacent to our two-car garage there is a parking area about 30x30 feet.

I got the Platinum 24 instead of a larger machine because I need to park it in front of my car and there's not a lot of extra room there.  I figured it would take me a bit longer to do the driveway, but I just didn't want to try a squeeze a wider machine in that tight a space.

Well, it turned out that even with a 9 inch storm (about the biggest we got here last year), it took only 30 minutes to clean the entire driveway.  I was surprised at how quickly the 24" unit made quick work of the snow, throwing it across the drive like a cannon.  The 249cc B&S engine worked great, as I wrote above.  I would say that unless perhaps you were using the machine commercially, going for a more expensive Subie engine would be a waste of $$$.

It strikes me that going for a bigger unit or pricier engine for a relatively modest sized driveway is akin to buying Hummer because you need to negotiate a gravel driveway.
slinger

Reply #8   Sep 29, 2010 1:13 pm
amazer you are correct...I'm sure the 30"er is more than I need but the Deluxe 30 with the Subaru is actually less $$$ than the 24" Platinum.  I guess you are saying that the remote chute and Auto traction are worth more than the Subaru engine and the wider machine? 
mmiguy

Reply #9   Sep 29, 2010 2:14 pm
If you are paying more than $1299 for the 24 platinum, you are paying too much. Home depot has it for 1299 with free shipping. They shipped mine to the local Ariens dealer for setup. I bought a set if slides and shear pins and everyone was happy.
giocam

Reply #10   Sep 29, 2010 2:28 pm
The ariens deluxe 30" with the subaru engine is on snowblowersdirect for $1249 with free shipping and no tax for for all US buyers with the exception of Illinois.
If I lived there I would be all over that, a local dealer wants $1750 with tax for the same machine here in Canada and the local home depot is even more expensive than that and the one they have has the b&s engine.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 23NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42