Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mmiguy

Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE
Original Message   Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm
Really these units are similar, but if you ask a dealer you'd think they were exact opposites.  Never used a lever traction system like the Toro, but did briefly try the auto trac on the Ariens.  I live 1/2 hr from Brillion WI and really do feel an attraction to Ariens, but that is another issue... Help me out guys!  I'll be pissed if I choose wrong.  Price is the same.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jviera1298

Re: Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE
Reply #10   Sep 21, 2010 10:52 am
Everything you read online is hearsay (including what we can claim actually happened to our own equipment). Are the stories of the plastics cracking/breaking true? I dont know. Is what you're saying true? I dont know that either. It's a discussion board and were discussing what we've read - Ill still take steel over plastic anyday -- especially when the equipment will be subjected to a harsh environment. A dent and a crack are two totally different animals. The likelyhood of either happening to the chute isnt much - but it exists. I was at Home Depot a couple days ago re-examining my choice to go with the Ariens - and as smooth as the quick chute controls are, Im still happy with my steel Ariens -- and have zero doubt that the Toro chute would break before the Ariens one if the right object ever impacted it.
This message was modified Sep 21, 2010 by jviera1298
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Sep 21, 2010 4:07 pm
jviera1298 wrote:
Everything you read online is hearsay (including what we can claim actually happened to our own equipment). Are the stories of the plastics cracking/breaking true? I dont know. Is what you're saying true? I dont know that either. It's a discussion board and were discussing what we've read - Ill still take steel over plastic anyday -- especially when the equipment will be subjected to a harsh environment. A dent and a crack are two totally different animals. The likelyhood of either happening to the chute isnt much - but it exists. I was at Home Depot a couple days ago re-examining my choice to go with the Ariens - and as smooth as the quick chute controls are, Im still happy with my steel Ariens -- and have zero doubt that the Toro chute would break before the Ariens one if the right object ever impacted it.

So all you are left with is an opinion which has no credibility. I've worked with steel, aluminum and many other materials my whole life as a machinist. Yes, all sorts of plastics and phenolics too as did my father before me. All steel (sheetmetal in this case) is not created equally. Sheetmetal is going to dent or bend, plastic will crack given enough force. We made tests strips for the huge Nitrogen and Methane tanks. Pretty cool to watch steel that's 1000 times (at minimum) stronger than your Ariens sheetmetal chute shatter like glass. If you actually worked with this stuff everyday you'd appreciate the fact that some materials work better in certain enviroments better than others. Quality of material as well as many other factors all contribute to strength and longevity. The new plastics are very good for extreme cold enviroments. So don't dismiss them because you personally prefer metal. Chutes are basically feeder tubes and not subjected to *much force* through impacts. If I take a 5 lb. sledge to both chutes, after 2-3 hits it won't matter if it's plastic or metal. But chutes aren't subjected to that kind of force, if they were they'd be made of something other than sheetmetal or plastic.

Keep in mind we are both happy with what we own, but I am against the mythology that plastic is inferior to metal for every application. There isn't any evidence to support that Toro's plastic chutes have any more problems than metal chutes from other manufacturers.

This message was modified Sep 21, 2010 by Steve_Cebu

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
slinger

Reply #12   Oct 21, 2010 9:40 am
Well, I need to add my $.02 since I just took delivery of an Ariens Platinum 24 a few days ago.  Purchased online through HD, and set up and delivered by an Ariens dealer who is 80 miles away.  Obviously I can't comment on snow throwing ability yet this year but some things I have noticed:  The AutoLok steering seems to work fine on dry pavement, however I did notice a strange "shift" in one of the turns I made.   Now that this year's Toro 826 OXE has the freewheel steering, it's a tough call to say which is better.  The handling/balance between both machines is no issue for me.  I think the Ariens Quick chute mechanism is a bit clunky and sloppy feeling.  I am using it correctly but it's still nowhere close to the smooth convenience of the Toro joystick.  I don't know that either one is going to last any longer than the other because while the Toro is plastic, the Ariens design looks questionable.  I would be surprised if the design does not get changed or refined in the coming years.  The Ariens' separate control for deflector angle (which hung up on delivery) is less convenient than the joystick as well.  The Ariens overall seems to be a bit beefier in some areas, but the Toro uses reinforcing brackets on it's impellers and bucket to strengthen it up. The Ariens' Briggs 249cc engine may have ball bearing crank journals as opposed to sleeve bearing on it's competitors, but the damn engine backfires every time you turn the throttle down, unless you move the lever at a snail's pace (this is #%& annoying!).  This cannot be good over the long term for the head gasket.  Other than that the construction is decent except that Ariens uses control rods with hairpin cotter pins everywhere, and there are no flat washers between the pins and the control arms...cheap.  Also much of the linkage was not lubricated, the bucket had chipped paint and some bolts for the shift linkage were loose.  The bolts that hold the chute mounting rod (1" square steel tubing)  were tightened so as to crush the tubing.  The skid mounting bolts were tightened enough to bend the washers there into serious "u" shapes.  I am going to call Ariens today to see what they have to say about all of this (good luck, right?)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Oct 21, 2010 12:15 pm
Ariens has a lot of folks dealers and owners alike both pushing their lineup. Every dealer pushes Ariens hard, I mean it's crazy how hard they push it but if they sell Simplicity and Toro you don't hear about those makes. They always try and steer you to Ariens. Now Ariens might make a decent machine but I dislike it when they try and steer me like a cow to the slaughter. I'm very happy I got the Toro. I did sort of wear down the skid shoes last year and after this year I'll probably have to buy another set. But the driveway has to be down to bare tar so that's the price I pay I guess.

I hope it all works out with your Ariens but it sounds like you're having buyers remorse. I had that with my Honda 928TAS, wife couldn't steer it either. So I lost a few bucks on the return and got the Toro 1028. Since yours is still new and Home Depot has a great return policy if you decide to return it and get a Toro you probably would be able to.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
FrankMA

Reply #14   Oct 21, 2010 2:46 pm
slinger: If you're not happy now, after just purchasing a new toy like that, you never will be. Steve_Cebu is correct - take it back and get the Toro or whatever brand that makes you happy. You're going to own this for a long time so you might as well spend a few extra dollars to enjoy using your equipment. Sounds like the QC department was sleeping the day the one you purchased rolled off the production floor.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
slinger

Reply #15   Oct 21, 2010 4:21 pm
Ariens has offered to send me a new chute pedestal (support rod) and some Ariens orange touch-up paint for the chips, but told me I would have to talk to Briggs about the backfiring engine.  It seems this is a common enough event that Briggs has adddressed it in one of their FAQs.  They say that it will NOT hurt the engine.  There is supposedly no adjustment screw for the carb...just a fixed jet.  The throttle should run at full speed during normal operation.  Any throttling down must be done verrrry slowly in order to avoid the backfiring issue.  They don't say why it is that way though.  The engine runs fine at speed...just don't shut off the key from full throttle & reduce throttle really slowly.  Have any of you Toro owners experienced this backfiring issue with your Briggs snow series motors? 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Oct 21, 2010 4:34 pm
slinger wrote:
Ariens has offered to send me a new chute pedestal (support rod) and some Ariens orange touch-up paint for the chips, but told me I would have to talk to Briggs about the backfiring engine.  It seems this is a common enough event that Briggs has adddressed it in one of their FAQs.  They say that it will NOT hurt the engine.  There is supposedly no adjustment screw for the carb...just a fixed jet.  The throttle should run at full speed during normal operation.  Any throttling down must be done verrrry slowly in order to avoid the backfiring issue.  They don't say why it is that way though.  The engine runs fine at speed...just don't shut off the key from full throttle & reduce throttle really slowly.  Have any of you Toro owners experienced this backfiring issue with your Briggs snow series motors? 

My Toro 1028 does not backfire when I OFF the throttle. I just push the lever all teh way left and it rumbles dead quickly. One pull to start it up again. I have a Briggs engine not sure of the exact size because it's being serviced right now. But mine for certain does not backfire. It sounds like you got a lemon.

mmr_tiggy

Reply #17   Dec 6, 2010 2:27 pm
Slinger,

So how did you make out with the Ariens? I just purchased a Deluxe 28 with the 250cc briggs motor and it does the same damn thing! I very much do not car for the backfiring. I don't think it is good for the engine or my ears. Have you pursued Briggs or HD any farther to see whether you should get a new motor or did you return your machine?
I am really considering returning the machine and probably getting the deluxe 30, the platinum 28, or possible a john deere. (i'm dealing at my local john deere)
Looking forward to hearing from you.
thanks
This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by mmr_tiggy
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #18   Dec 6, 2010 8:26 pm
slinger wrote:
Well, I need to add my $.02 since I just took delivery of an Ariens Platinum 24 a few days ago.  Purchased online through HD, and set up and delivered by an Ariens dealer who is 80 miles away.....  The bolts that hold the chute mounting rod (1" square steel tubing)  were tightened so as to crush the tubing.  ......  I am going to call Ariens today to see what they have to say about all of this (good luck, right?)

I think that your dealer is to blame for that one, not the Ariens factory. I had to put that piece on in the assembly of my boxed Deluxe 28.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

mmr_tiggy

Reply #19   Dec 6, 2010 8:39 pm
NotMoneyGuy,

Your signature says you own a Dulex 28, does your machine backfire when you idle down from operating speed?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42