Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Question about the Ariens 921017 Deluxe Platinum 24"

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Harold

Question about the Ariens 921017 Deluxe Platinum 24"
Original Message   Sep 17, 2010 2:59 pm
Am considering an Ariens Deluxe Platinum snowblower, Model 921017.  It's $1300 at two places I've looked.

Is the differential in that the same as the tried and true, and easy to maneuver, 1970's models of the 724 series?

Have been wanting one that's nimble and easy to navigate for awhile, and having only had Ariens would be happy getting another.

The help at Home Depot had no idea what I was asking about.  The kid at the local lawnmower store had the same model at the same price and made it seem that it was built with the same transmission as the 1970 models (even though I was repeatedly asking about a differential), and had all this fancy terminology and seemed to run around the bush describing all the magical things the snow blower would do. 

Simply, will this one be nimble and easy to handle?  Thanks for your help.
This message was modified Sep 17, 2010 by Harold
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
jviera1298

Re: Question about the Ariens 921017 Deluxe Platinum 24"
Reply #1   Sep 17, 2010 3:52 pm
Having only maneuvered mine around the yard and within my shed (just got it a week or so ago), I found it very easy to handle. I cannot speak to the 1970s models as I wasn't alive then, but I can say that as soon as you apply normal turning pressure the units turns -- the differential is unnoticeable.
This message was modified Sep 17, 2010 by jviera1298
Harold

Reply #2   Sep 17, 2010 7:32 pm
That's what I thought about my 8524 Ariens in the showroom. 

With pin drive in one wheel it's fine without snow.  That second pin is necessary for use in snow for the monster to track straight and for the life of me I can't readily turn it! 

So although this Platinum unit seems great in the showroom, I need to find out how it really behaves in use.

Still sometimes use the old 724 only because it's so nimble and easy to navigate, but it tosses snow maybe 10 feet at best.  Really though, I hate to part with my old tired out buddy.
This message was modified Sep 17, 2010 by Harold
Shryp

Reply #3   Sep 17, 2010 10:15 pm
Do a search for clarence impeller kit.

I have not used one myself, but have been thinking of getting one.

They are suppose to work wonders for your problem.
trouts2

Reply #4   Sep 18, 2010 8:21 am

>>Is the differential in that the same as the tried and true, and easy to maneuver, 1970's models of the 724 series?

The 921017 differential is always on so without a wheel knob, no selectable mode.  From a laymans point of view the differential design is basically the same as the older models.   The older differential parts were fairly robust.  From a technical point of view the new differential has a few more parts and does not seem to be as robustly built but it may use different steel. 

>>Simply, will this one be nimble and easy to handle?

70’s covers  a lot of model models but for most if tight and greased the machine almost floats around.  The ability to move flexibly is mostly the same for the 70’s differential machines as the new models.  The exact feel won’t be the same but it won’t be due to the differential.  

The newer machines have a different weight, weight distribution; handle length and height so feel different.  In general any differences in handling won’t be due to the differential but overall machine design.  The new ones move and operate essentially like an older unit.  In my opinion comparing an old 724 to a newer 824, moving around back and forth with short quick turns in a tight area is easier with the older machine.

>>That second pin is necessary for use in snow for the monster to track straight and for the life of me I can't readily turn it!

Are the tires inflated properly and the same PSI?  It should be easy to turn with both wheels locked when moving and turning with slight guiding of the handles.

>>it tosses snow maybe 10 feet at best

It could be a belt or some other problem.  The older Ariens bodies easily outlast the motors.  The engine is probably worn, valves, rings.   The old machines I think were designed more for throughput than distance.  The design was for single wide driveways where you could probably toss to both sides.  The newer machines clear double and triple wide driveways and have more of an orientation to distance.  The old machines splatters out their output rather than the consolidated flow of newer machines. 

You could get performance back on an old 724 with a new motor.   Putting on a rebuild or an inexpensive Honda clone is fairly cheap and they are back in business for clearing a small to medium size driveway. 

This message was modified Sep 19, 2010 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42