Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Catt

John Deere 1330SE
Original Message   Sep 9, 2010 7:18 pm
Last year I bought a John Deere 1130SE snowblower and for the most part I was extremely happy with it's performance. I love the hand warmers, electric chute rotation, easy steer and the front end weight just to name a few.  The only problem I had, which was pretty significant, was the intermittent transmission slipping.  After sealing the transmission housing with silicone and some weather stripping, the problem was completely gone.  The remainder of the winter was very pleasing and I always looked forward to using the 1130.  I also had a second snowblower that I'm trading for a new 1330SE.  So now I'll have the 1130 and the 1330.  The 1130 will be for my business parking lot.  Some of the interesting features of the 1330 is the addition of an electric deflector control and dash area integrated headlights.  So now the chute is totally electric (both rotation and the deflector).  The slipping transmission should be resolved from water getting into the rubber/aluminum disc drive.  To fix this problem, Deere added a rubber gasket between the engine mounting plate and the transmission housing.  I'll try to post some pictures in the future.
BTW, my second choice would have been an Ariens since they seem to give people on this website support from at least one poster.  I wish Briggs, Simplicity or Deere would give the same support.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2010 by Catt
Replies: 20 - 29 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Catt

Re: John Deere 1330SE
Reply #20   Dec 1, 2010 11:16 pm
Hard to say for sure as it will only be known over time. These are similar to the motors used in automotive electric windows which are pretty reliable.  I'm sure it can be argued either for or against so I won't even try.  However I like gadgets and on cars as an example, it comes with the risk of something failing, but don't take away my power steering, electric locks, power windows etc and etc.
This message was modified Dec 1, 2010 by Catt
plowboy

Reply #21   Dec 1, 2010 11:30 pm
Good Points! Just trying to make my mind up between an Ariens with manual controls and Deere's electric.
Catt

Reply #22   Dec 2, 2010 12:08 am
It's a very good question and if you want absolute reliability and the potential for cheaper repairs, then go for the manual operation.  If (IMHO) you like to make life a little more interesting than I say go for the electric chute.  I'm sure you'll have fun blowing snow this winter with either.
plowboy

Reply #23   Dec 2, 2010 8:51 pm
Catt, your comments were just the little extra boost I needed, today I'm a proud owner 1330se as well. At the end of the day the Deere had more Standard features, weighed 54lbs more, plus had cast iron gear box as compared to aluminum, held more fuel etc than the Ariens. I figured if I don't let the thing freeze like a big ice cube I shouldn't have that many issues. If it works and runs like my ole 1032 Deere I'll be a happy camper time will tell.
Catt

Reply #24   Dec 2, 2010 9:46 pm
Congratulations!  I believe you're going to have a lot of fun with it.  I have several snowblowers and really enjoy the 1330SE.  In fact I'll get the chance to use it Saturday morning as we expect to get 6+ inches of snow on Friday.  If you get the chance, stop by the 1130SE thread where you'll find a few other Deere owners.
plowboy

Reply #25   Dec 2, 2010 10:00 pm
Looks I'll get to use my as well 5 inches here in Ia where I'm at I'll be looking at the other thread as well. Thanks

aa335

Reply #26   Dec 3, 2010 10:00 am
Same here, Chicagoland is expecting 2-5 inches of snow Sat/Sun .  If we don't, northwest Indiana gets it.   Time to pick up some gasoline.

I don't mind huge accumulations on the weekend.
jdpilot

Reply #27   Dec 7, 2010 12:53 am
Well ... how did your 1330SEs do with the snow you got this weekend?

I'm also in Minnesota and I used my 21-year-old John Deere 524 one last time to blow out the 6-7" we had on our 1650 SF driveway Saturday morning; then I traded it in for a new 1330SE at a JD dealership about 20 miles away. I weighed lots of options and was seriously tempted by a 30" Troy Bilt and a 28" Deluxe series Ariens. I was particularly sold on the 1330SE after seeing how nearly identical the 30" Simplicity was, but the JD had heated grips and one or two other small advantages for a similar price. Like some of you, I procrastinated over the reliability of the chute control motors. The Simplicity dealer also has a robust repair business for virtually all brands of snowblowers and lawn mowers, and he assured me that the little electric motors worked very well. Ultimately, I convinced myself that probably in a couple years all the 2-stage blowers will have them. They're just so cussed handy and easy to use! After wrestling with the linkage on several variations of console levers on competive machines, I decided that it may very well be more reliable to have just a couple wires from a simple handle bar toggle switch leading to a small motor (with proven history in power windows) that directly engages with the cogs that turn the shoot. The dealer had the blower setting outside for me, so I was able to power up the 1330SE and play with it a little bit. As ridiculous as I felt spending so much money on a snowblower, having such easy and natural control over such a big machine won me over.

Once I got my new toy/tool home, I wanted to blow out a neighbor's driveway while they were away at their cabin; but someone else beat me to it. I added the generic cab that was on our old snowblower, and now I'm anxious to put my new 1330SE to use. With electric start, heated grips, Easy Steer, and thumb-tip shoot control, I'm thinking that snow blowing could be a whole new Winter pastime worth looking forward to.

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by jdpilot
Catt

Reply #28   Dec 7, 2010 1:08 am
Congratulations on your purchase!!!
We got around 10" of snow and the 1330SE worked great with one exception.  The rolled up newspaper buried in the snow!  I wasn't sure what I hit and it certainly didn't sound good going through the impeller with pieces of newspaper and coupons flying through the air.  I looked everything over and finished the driveway with no problems.  I'm going to be a little gun shy the next time I blow the driveway wondering if there is a hidden surprise waiting for me.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #29   Dec 7, 2010 4:29 am
I have been wondering about the John Deere machines for a while now, so I saw this thread and couldn't resist checking it out.  I'd really like to know what the Easy Steer feature is.  I couldn't figure it out even from the brochure I have.   When you turn left and right, does it just naturally act like a differential (like Ariens), or what?  I didn't notice any left and right steering levers like on Toro, Husqvarna, or other machines I've seen, and I definitely don't like the idea of only a left-hand steering release as it seems like it would be difficult to turn right when the right wheel is turning on the inside.  Anyway, I'd just like to know about that.  Thanks

Do the Deeres have ball bearings at the ends of the augers and inside the gear boxes, or are all these areas now bushings? 

How about the wheel shafts---do they attach to the outside of the wheels like older Ariens, or do they now just run straight through the wheels?  Some posts I have read mention lubricating shafts going through the wheels to prevent the wheels and shafts rusting together.

How well balanced is the 1330?  Is it nose-heavy or well-balanced? 

Anything else you can think of would be good. 

I think it would also be good to ask these same questions about Simplicity blowers, since Briggs manufactures both John Deere and Simplicity blowers.  I am really curious, now.

Thanks for any information about both brands. 
This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 20 - 29 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42