Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drinkingbird

A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control
Original Message   Jan 26, 2005 9:54 am
I've been using Ariens snowblowers all my life, so I'm pretty disappointed with my 2004 8526LE so far.  When I received it, one of the shoe bolts was stripped out and the shoe would not stay adjusted.  Ariens sent me a couple new ones, which I was happy with.  However during the big blizzard, I noticed my wheel drive was very sluggish, I had to push the thing to get it going forward, and as soon as it hit any resistance, it would stop.  I had fully tensioned and adjusted everything after the initial 15 mins but figured maybe there had been some stretching.  Brought it in to inspect, the pivot point where the drive cable connects (sticks just out of the body) was not pivoting, it was just hanging around in there loose.  Wasn't like that when I got it for sure.  Took it all apart, found the bolt with no cotter pin sitting in the bottom.  So it apparently had been slid through and no pin ever put on (the bolt was stuck in some ice on the bottom, with no pin in sight).  Of course this caused a lot of wear to the friction disc and there is rubber all over the friction plate now.  So I also needed to change the oil last night, and while it was draining I decided to inspect other parts again with a fine tooth comb.  I am missing a bolt that holds the dipstick tube support and the front of the carb cover in place, my starter has a horrible looking electrical connection that I had to re-do (it stopped working during the storm, I thought it was Ice, guess not) and in general all kinds of stuff was loose.

I bought it in the crate as it came from Ariens, unopened, so this was not a dealer assembly issue.  Pretty disapointed for $1000.....  I mean I looked it over when I got it and did the adjustments, but I had no idea I had to rip the entire thing apart and inspect the inside too.  Sheesh.

Now that its all fixed it works great, would drive itself through a brick wall, its not the quality of the product itself that bothers me, more the quality control of the assembly.  So at the beginning of next year looks like I'll need a new friction disc already and spend some time removing the rubber off the plate.  Oh well.

-Dave

Replies: 51 - 60 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: A bit disappointed with Ariens Quality Control
Reply #51   Jan 28, 2005 11:42 pm
I hope we're not at  the point where anyone who dares criticize Ariens will be made unwelcome and chased off the board.    -Bob

Bob.........that's not the intent and not what is happening, I know you know that.
boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #52   Jan 29, 2005 12:24 am
Marshall,   I don't know what's happening.    -Bob
Marshall

Reply #53   Jan 29, 2005 12:39 am
Bob, PM sent.
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #54   Jan 31, 2005 9:31 am
This topic too!

Damn, ChrisS - is there any place you didn't delete all my posts?

I would also like to know if this is over, even if you don't ever answer "Why you did this", please tell me if you are still going through topics deleting my posts.

Sincerely,
SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Marshall

Reply #55   Jan 31, 2005 10:04 am
Snowremover, lay off Chris and quite asking on every post why your posts are removed. If you don't know why telling you again will make no difference.

This is all I will say publicly on this issue. I will either PM with you or Ban you or both, depending on what you do. You will be the one making the choice.
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #56   Jan 31, 2005 10:19 am
Marshall wrote:
Snowremover, lay off Chris and quite asking on every post why your posts are removed. If you don't know why telling you again will make no difference.

This is all I will say publicly on this issue. I will either PM with you or Ban you or both, depending on what you do. You will be the one making the choice.

Why is it me that has to lay off Chris?  I'm the one having my posts removed and I DON'T KNOW WHY!

No one has PM'd me a reason.  No one has explained.

I have never used a slanderous word, never personally attacked ANYONE.  I've just stated my opinions and backed them up with facts as much as possible.  Yet my posts throughout this site are being deleted.

Now you say if I ask why, I will be banned and it will by my fault. 

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #57   Feb 4, 2005 7:43 pm
This is like trying to read a book w/ several pages missing from it.  Why not just leave it as is, or just delete teh whole damn thing??

How annoying!!!

Marshall

Reply #58   Feb 4, 2005 7:44 pm
Yea I know, I was hoping it would drift away to back pages and not pop up again.
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #59   Feb 4, 2005 7:47 pm
Sorry, I just read it for the 1st time.  I will leave it slip on down the pike w/out further question.
Marshall

Reply #60   Feb 4, 2005 7:50 pm
Heck, I didn't word that real well, thanks Bill, no sweat. 
Replies: 51 - 60 of 60Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42