Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Torn Between three Snow Blowers -- looking for suggestions.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mitandir

Torn Between three Snow Blowers -- looking for suggestions.
Original Message   Sep 5, 2010 5:22 am
After moving into a new home with a large-ish driveway I’m looking to get a good two stage thrower for around $1000. Three models have piqued my interest but it seems difficult to choose between them and I’m looking for any feedback forum members have on them.

The first one i was looking at is a Toro 726OE. This thrower is on sale right now at home depo for $999. Seems like a pretty well-built thrower and has a nice 4 way chute control.

The second contender is a Troy-Bilt Storm 3090XP/Craftsman 88830. It’s a very well-reviewed machine with nice features like power steering and heated grips, however this one is a little wider than what i was looking for (30 inch vs. 26) and some reviews mention poor drive gearing -- meaning that the forward gears are either too slow or too fast (1 or 2) and reverse gears are just flat out too slow.

Finally i'm considering a Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2690 XP. I've never used a tracked thrower before so maneuverability is a concern. I don't need to deal with any substantial inclines around my home, but other than the maneuverability concerns and the 208cc motor of unknown origin on this unit -- everything seems to look great. It has power steering, heated grips and is basically just the right width I’m looking for.

Any thoughts or experiences with these three units would be greatly appreciated.

Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
mitandir

Re: Torn Between three Snow Blowers -- looking for suggestions.
Reply #2   Sep 5, 2010 1:43 pm
Driveway is about 100ft by 30ft. There are also smaller walkways all around the house that i need to clear (probably another 100ft by 8ft). There is a slight grade on the driveway -- perhaps 3-5degrees slope. Most of the surfaces are pavers but there is some gravel. I don't think that i would have to make a whole lot of turns to clean the driveway but the walkways would require some agility. I'm not particularly tied to a dealer/retailer. Being in a Chicago suburb offers alot of options. What do you think?
aa335

Reply #3   Sep 5, 2010 10:33 pm
I'm also in Chicago suburbs myself.  My driveway is not as long as yours but I do have some walkways around the house that are pavers and curvy.  Plus, I have a lot of sidewalks since I'm on a corner lot.

I would recommend the Toro 726OE.  The Troy-Bilt 30" too wide and you lose maneuverability.  I would not go with the tracked Troy-Bilt since your driveway grade isn't all that steep.  Modern snowblower wheel threads are very good and outperform old threads with chains.

As far as slow reverse speed, all recent snowblowers are fairly slow, for liability and safety reason.  You do not want a snowblower to run over you in reverse in case you slip and fall.  Some do have enough traction and power to pin you against the wall, especially the larger ones.  .  If you get a smaller snowblower, there isn't really a need to use reverse.  It's simply much easier to pull it backwards manually than to put it in gear.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #4   Sep 6, 2010 12:00 am
mitandir wrote:
After moving into a new home with a large-ish driveway I’m looking to get a good two stage thrower for around $1000. Three models have piqued my interest but it seems difficult to choose between them and I’m looking for any feedback forum members have on them.

The first one i was looking at is a Toro 726OE. This thrower is on sale right now at home depo for $999. Seems like a pretty well-built thrower and has a nice 4 way chute control.

The second contender is a Troy-Bilt Storm 3090XP/Craftsman 88830. It’s a very well-reviewed machine with nice features like power steering and heated grips, however this one is a little wider than what i was looking for (30 inch vs. 26) and some reviews mention poor drive gearing -- meaning that the forward gears are either too slow or too fast (1 or 2) and reverse gears are just flat out too slow.

Finally i'm considering a Troy-Bilt Storm Tracker 2690 XP. I've never used a tracked thrower before so maneuverability is a concern. I don't need to deal with any substantial inclines around my home, but other than the maneuverability concerns and the 208cc motor of unknown origin on this unit -- everything seems to look great. It has power steering, heated grips and is basically just the right width I’m looking for.

Any thoughts or experiences with these three units would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Toro 1028 it's overkill for your needs but it's an excellent brand I I highly reccomend it. The only trouble I've had with mine is flat tires. When they fixed teh roff they didn't pick up a lot of nails so I got flats. That's no fault of the Toro tho. The Toro with it's skid steer isa breeze to use. My wife only weighs 84 lbs and she can drive it now problem. I've posted some YouTube videos of her in another thread.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Sep 6, 2010 7:59 am
I would suggest a machine with a 4HP to ft of auger width ratio. Being that you have pavers I would make sure to fit the machine with  after market  plastic skid shoes.   Ariens makes them for their machines as an accessory item and they can be fitted to other brands if need be with a little modification.  In my experience steel shoes will scratch the pavers and that just isn't acceptable.A differential or some kind of steering asist is in my mind "required " in a machine over 24" and quite truthfully I wouldn't own a machine without it. I also wouldn't buy a unit without grease fittings and shear pins on the auger no matter who the manufacturer was. 

I would stay away from TroyBilt and Craftsman as key components on those units tend to be "light" duty and prone to short service life. I am speaking of the bushings and bearings in the drive train and the auger gear box and gears.  

Ariens,Honda, Husquavarna,Simplicity,Snapper,Toro (listed in alphabetical order) are the brands I would consider if I were you.They all make machines that will fit your needs. Simplicity and Snapper are I believe owned by Briggs and are virtually the same with the exception that Simplicity offers more models. Don't downplay the importance of the dealer you buy the unit from. You need them to be reliable and convenient if you are not confident in your own ability to work on the machine.

I only buy from the big box stores when they get stuck with machines in years with little snow. Even then it will only be an unmolested (in the box) Toro or Ariens. I mention those brands because where I live the box stores don't carry Simplicity, Snapper Husky or Toro 2 stage units. Back in 2005 I got my father an Ariens 926LE with electric start for $499 and for myself a Toro 2450 single stage at  $276. Those are prices I couldn't refuse but only because those were quality machines. The Troys and Cub Cadets and other MTD offerings are in my opinion never a bargain at any price.

Marc

This message was modified Sep 6, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 2 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42