Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Selling new Honda HS928 track drive..What to replace it with?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
zekeman

Selling new Honda HS928 track drive..What to replace it with?
Original Message   Sep 1, 2010 6:45 am
Not sure what to replace new (December 09 ) Honda 928 track drive with..I love the Honda smooth and throws snow like crazy and goes through anything  ( also have an older Honda 828 track drive at a rental property )...I went out bought this new HS928 tarck drive late December 2009 for my own home so i wouldn't have to transport the 828 back and forth...I  used this new Honda  for literally 5 whole minutes but need to replace it with a snowblower with some type of steering . I know i'm going to lose a few bucks on the new Honda but for this driveway i really need some sort of steering I live in Massachusetts have about 150+ feet of a circular driveway.. I was at Lowes the other day checking out the new 2010 model 1330SE "Simplicity built" John Deere machines with easy steer and dual electric shute controls, heated hand grips etc.. Any ideas?
Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
zekeman

Re: Selling new Honda HS928 track drive..What to replace it with?
Reply #5   Sep 2, 2010 7:30 am
bus708 wrote:
I just wanted to let you know that Honda DOES make units with steering.  It is a HM1226ic Hybrid. It not only has steering but you can run it with remote control too.

I have heard of the 1336ic Hybrid but not the 1226ic..I saw the 1336ic a few years ago in a picture when they were released..Trouble is I would have to remortgage my home to buy one..Slick looking machine though..But at that point I would consider a truck with a snowplow and stay warm while clearing the snow
FrankMA

Reply #6   Sep 2, 2010 9:16 am
"I don't understand why Honda does not design a steering system for all their blowers it really makes sense especially seeing that they have such fantastic machines that have been around for a long while now, they don't even have a steering system on the wheeled models when almost every manufcturer has some type of steering to make your job a little easier..."

I don't understand this either. Honda makes a great product (particularly their snowblowers) but they have not made any major or significant improvements on the HS line in many years. You pay a premium price for a Honda Snowblower and other brands that cost half as much or less have independent steering controls and features that should be incorporated into the HS line. This is one thing that has always bothered me about Honda. 

They don't even include the headlamp as standard equipment until you step up to the HS1132TA. I always wondered if they think people only blow snow during the daylight hours as this (to me anyway) should be not be considered an optional item like say an electric starter or heated handgrips (i don't think you need either but that's just me). During the winter months the sun sets around 4:00 pm where I live so by the time you get home from work and get the kids fed or help with homework, etc..., its pretty dark outside. Same for the morning hours - does'nt get light til about 7:00 am. I'm usually out there at 5:30 - 6:00 am getting my fairly long driveway, etc... cleared out. I think they would sell more snowblowers if they made these items standard and lowered the price just a bit to be more competitive in the big box store society we live in now.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #7   Sep 3, 2010 10:48 am
Honda is a big company with diversified products from small string trimmers to engines, and cars.  Snowblower is not their core business.  While snowblower companies introduce new models or reinvent model names/numbers yearly to excite consumers and stimulate sales, Honda won't care if snowblower sales are down this year because they can still sell motorcycles and lawnmowers.

The Honda snowblower models that are available to the US market are watered down compared to what's available for Japan domestic market and Canada.  It is already expensive compared "American branded" snowblowers.  Everyone is looking for bargain basement sales with rebates and other incentives from the Big Box stores which diminish unit profit for the manufacturer.  Big box stores puts a lot of price pressure on manufacturers.  I don't think that's part of Honda's business model and it shows.  Look at Honda lawnmower at Home Depot, you won't find the lowest price there.  Better luck at your local dealer who will throw in some oil and sharpening service.

To be price competitive, Honda snowblower will have to be cheaper-built with the same sparse features to compete with other "American branded" snowblowers.  You and I can bet where our money is going towards, most features for our buck.  When that happens, Honda is left holding the bag with inventory of snowblowers unsold.  I don't see that happening.
bus708

Reply #8   Sep 3, 2010 11:36 am
Why don't you go with a nice Ariens or Toro? I have a Ariens 924108. It has never gave me any trouble. My driveway is about 800 ', I've just went through my first set of belts in 10 years. I recomend them to anybody. Even though mine is a 8 hp Techumseh - Briggs makes good engines too- Just dont buy a blower with a Clone engine. Get a nice Ariens or Toro with no less than 300cc- the bigger the better .
aa335

Reply #9   Sep 3, 2010 11:55 am
337cc and I want more.  Arrrgghh arrghh.  :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Sep 4, 2010 10:00 pm
I'd go for the Toro 1028 it's a breeze to steer and throws snow as good as the Honda. I had the Honda 928TAS so I know it throws snow well but is a bear to turn for some people.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
zekeman

Reply #11   Sep 4, 2010 11:17 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I'd go for the Toro 1028 it's a breeze to steer and throws snow as good as the Honda. I had the Honda 928TAS so I know it throws snow well but is a bear to turn for some people.

Thank's, I was thinking about going to my local Toro dealer this week and checking out the 1028 or 1128 models..My biggest fear about selling the new Honda is losing the great snow throwing distance it has..I have read and have seen you tube vids where the Toro really seems to do really well with throwing distance. I see that the shute stick is plastic how easy does the control work in the cold weather?
aa335

Reply #12   Sep 5, 2010 10:46 pm
Don't worry, the recent Toro, Simplicity, Ariens, and Troy Bilt are no slouch when it comes to throwing snow.  Unless you are into impressing your neighbors or putting your snow on their driveway, I'd say get what you are comfortable with.  Now, if you're talking about throwing slush, well,  Honda literature doesn't say anything about pumping water.  :)
This message was modified Sep 5, 2010 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Sep 5, 2010 11:51 pm
zekeman wrote:
 Thank's, I was thinking about going to my local Toro dealer this week and checking out the 1028 or 1128 models..My biggest fear about selling the new Honda is losing the great snow throwing distance it has..I have read and have seen you tube vids where the Toro really seems to do really well with throwing distance. I see that the shute stick is plastic how easy does the control work in the cold weather?

Try the 1028 it's a great machine the 1128 has a weird part on it that can hang up on things I'm told so I didn't bother with it.

Here are some vids from YouTube of my wife using our Toro. She weighs 84 lbs. and has no trouble steering it. The first Vid is me doing the EOD and it's really nasty stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeU7CGw4r0Q

This one is my wife doing the driveway with the Toro 1028. My wife was new at using it and tried to hold it back. LOL :D  You can see how much it throws that was heavy wet snow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uUBRE7vsRU

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #14   Sep 6, 2010 11:59 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Try the 1028 it's a great machine the 1128 has a weird part on it that can hang up on things I'm told so I didn't bother with it.

That part is a pivoting scraper.  It is designed to move out of the way when catching on pavement.  It's not a totally new idea, I seen this on older Toro's.
Replies: 5 - 14 of 17Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42